• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hanayamata (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Super sweet episode! Machi was spoiler[upset over her sister running away from home and changing careers]. But Sally really spoiler[just had enough of her parents' ridiculous expectations, she realised she got more joy out of helping to teach her sister, and she even took a lower job so that she could be near her].
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I didn't really like episode 9 too much. The drama and character stories in previous stories have been, until this point, more low key and natural... but this one.... Completely overwrought, Especially when you consider how stupid of a "complex" it was and how easily the conflict (born of years of hard feelings) was solved with a couple sentences and a "duh, I get it now" moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:34 pm Reply with quote
And after the latest episode, I became a Machi fan.

Oh and it's a good thing they got into the spoiler[festival too. Nice one Sally-sensei. Next week looks like a built-up as well. I'm guessing they are doing the festival performance in the grand finale.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10.

Yey team.

So..... Sally-sensei has the Sea Monk's phone number does she? Hmmm.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I knew the yosakoi dude would come through. He can't resist a plea for help from Sally.

Looks like we are finally going to get Hana's backstory next week. Should be interesting.
誤称

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Looks like we are finally going to get Hana's backstory next week. Should be interesting.

Do you even watch this show? I ask cause I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to yosakoi.

Hana's backstory has been sprinkled throughout the show from episode one on. If you missed it, you have to be blind.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
I ask cause I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to yosakoi.

Da fuq?

誤称 wrote:
Hana's backstory has been sprinkled throughout the show from episode one on. If you missed it, you have to be blind.

Yeah exactly; only sprinkled. Only bits and pieces. Only meaningful closeups and some info that while not incorrect is still incomplete. We haven't gotten a Hana-centric episode yet and we haven't gotten to the true crux about why yosakoi is so important to her (hint: there's more to it than what we've been told). But next week we will get those answers.

You need to calm the heck down.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

I was hoping we would get some rare case of aspoiler[ divorce in anime without much drama attached], but judging by the end it looks like that may not be so.

Nothing negative to say about the episode, although that one bit was becoming a bit of a downer I was spoiler[hoping there was some way they could make it in.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11:

Oh wow, that was ending felt hollow. spoiler[Well, Hana did make an impression and I thought it was cute to see her background story too even at this point of the story.]

I liked most of the spoiler[decorations and outfit the club has set up for their festival performance. Should be good but Hana .... Crying or Very sad]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Damn it Hanayamata, you have no right to make me feel this touched. Friendship is almost always key in anime, but clearly being with her mother who has made a big effort to show that she wants to be with her, seems to be most important to Hana, and that might just be okay.

There is a good chance spoiler[Hana will find her way back for the festival]. But as it stands now, I really don't mind that this must have been spoiler[something she put a lot of thought into, something she had to sacrifice a little for even if something else could have happened]. That her friends respected spoiler[her decision, not saying that she shouldn't go], it was something that other shows have not done.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
but clearly being with her mother who has made a big effort to show that she wants to be with her, seems to be most important to Hana, and that might just be okay.

I'm not inclined to be so charitable to mom. True, Hana seems to do a masterful job of masking -- never so much as showing a pensive expression in front of her mother. But it is not her job to be the parent.

Instead Hana's mom has to go on record as one of the most insensitive parents of the anime year. I don't begrudge her following a career that takes her away from her kid. That is difficult but it can work if handled right.

The problem is that she just shows up one day with her announcement, and essentially tells her teenage daughter "be packed by tomorrow, okay?" She has no interest in Hana's situation and makes no attempt to find out.

At least over in the Glasslip anime, Kakeru's mother talks it over with him as to whether he wants to leave or not. I have never heard of a teenager that was adjusted to their living situation that would be happy about being uprooted like that and Hana's mom seems monumentally unaware of that. That's a D-minus in parenting, lady.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12/Finale:
That was glorious. The final dance performance made me smile all around. While the story is a bit predictable, it nailed it at the end with our graceful characters!

Lovely show. Thank you Madhouse.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12 (final)

A big part of how shows like this will be remembered is how well they do the final performance. The final performance here was very well done, I will think very fondly of this series. I am sure some will complain that they spoiler[just created drama from the last episode to have her come back here]. But really does it matter? The finale was really nice.

In my books it gets a Decent, not a spectacular show but sweet and kind of funny, I did not lose my time. It did take time to build up the entire group, the last member was not even in it most of the time, but I found the drama with the characters to be well done.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Hana's mom: good on you I just wish you could have done it a day earlier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4