• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Akame ga Kill! (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:13 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

At this point, Akame ga Kill has more than earned its reputation as actually a good show, I honestly was not that surprised that it managed to do things that are a bit of a surprise. From Esdeath showing a different side, to later scene with Chelsea. And the balance with comedy, many shows can't get that right. It has really managed to be fun.

Knew when Susanoo spoiler[said she looked like his old master it was pretty much saying that she looks like a man]. But why is that a bad thing, I really like their leader's character where she can be a woman but not have to be tied down with having to be feminine, she kind of reminds me of Impa. Also Chelsea is now my favourite character, I have to respect a character that trolls so much but rather light heartedly, that she has good intentions. And how she handled the spoiler[bath scene, yeah knew it was her, she handled it great and had enough self respect to scare the hell out of him after talking things out].
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Where did you get the impression that the Danger Beasts weren't bothering them? The episode was pretty clear that the reason this particular area was basically uninhabited was because of the Danger Beasts. I didn't get the sense that peaceful cohabitation was a possibility.

Because I didn't see them bothering them where they set up shop. Yes, it was clear that Danger Beasts were keeping people out, which seems like an asset to them. Since all of them are quite capable of dealing with Beasts when confronted, killing them all off (for training and apparently "fun") struck me as counterproductive at best.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Gina Szanboti"]
Blood- wrote:
Since all of them are quite capable of dealing with Beasts when confronted, killing them all off (for training and apparently "fun") struck me as counterproductive at best.

I thought it rather mean-spirited and callous, myself. Those beings weren't bothering anyone until the invaders showed up. As far as we know they were just defending their homeland.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
What are you talking about, they are just random encounters. The exist only for the heroes to grind levels between proper battles, the show pretty much said exactly that. The sort of thing where you keep going back and forth and they just appear for the XP and materials.

Saying that they were a threat to the base is just padding by the developers so they can send you on missions to fight varied monsters so it feels like you are accomplishing things.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
PETDB: People for the Ethical Treatment of Danger Beasts. It's a weird complaint. This is a fantasy show and the Danger Beasts are clearly monsters. Not sure why anyone would find their removal "callous" but oh well.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not sure why anyone would find their removal "callous" but oh well.

Well, of course when we clear rainforest to make soybean farms nobody seems to care much whether there were jaguars or baboons there first. If I want a new shopping mall I can go shoot up whole herds of crocodiles and suddenly there's space for it. And who wants wildebeasts stomping through their corn anyway? Polar bears are about the fiercest carnivore on earth but don't worry that's what high powered rifles take care of so your oil field workers are safe from that at least. Gorrillas? Hey their severed body parts make absolutely GREAT souvenirs.

All these monsters are potentially dangerous to humans who get around in a Prius but what is important is they live on space I want and I am stronger than them so it is they and not me that gets slaughtered. It's not like they're going to hire a lawyer sir something. There is no purpose to worrying about the orphaned litters left to starve to death or loss of habitat or any primitive societies they have managed to evolve and certainly not anything as esoteric as a genetically diverse ecosystem.

Now I could go about it as a pretty grim task where damn nature is cruel and although I don't like it but I am still on top of the food chain. Or you could go about it yeah man! and awesome look at the guts fly on that one and watch me crush this skull and you're not getting away from me! Such attitude has been considered normal by many throughout human history so I guess it is a little overboard to call it callous.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
Frankly I find the comparison between characters in a fantasy show killing monsters and real world human destruction of animals to be absurd, but like I say, oh well.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:52 am Reply with quote
If they could live in harmony with the danger beasts, maybe they would, but I think we've been told by the show that these danger beasts are "dangerous" creatures who can't be reasoned with. They will kill you on sight.

Are there parallels in our world with humans taking over natural habitats of animals? Yes. We generally understand in society that it is a problem, but it's one of those problems that we just manage in the short term because the long term solution is not yet within our comprehension. I think you can have the same understanding about what's going on here. The short term issue for Night Raid is that their base was compromised and they needed a new one. The remote location they chose had a bunch of extremely deadly beasts roaming about that would kill them on sight, so they killed the beasts first. Maybe some highly ethical scientists or think-tank people in the Capital will figure out the long term solution Smile
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Poor Justice girl.

It's shame that her murdering/rapist teacher and human experimenting psychopath got killed..............wait not it isn't. I'd like to see what happened to her dad though. If at least ONE of the people she liked wasn't completely reprehensible my pity bar might raise a bit.

But since I doubt she could have been completely unaware they were not-so-nice-people i guess she's just sad that one of the people nice to her but horrible to everyone else bit the dust. What a great person. Wink
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 13:

Eh, it's another slow episode but at this rate, spoiler[NT and Jeagers will clash soon. The best part of the episode was Esdese's attack on the new Danger Beasts.] Next week should be fun considering spoiler[they are going to get more alone time based on the PV.]

Also, I think Susanno is even more of a clean freak than Levi...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Esdeath just isn't giving up on Tatsumi.
That girl is just delusional about their relationship.
The spoiler[humanoid monster thing]s were making a mess.
spoiler[Bols is so much more benign than justice biatch despite his appearance.]
None of them is innocent though.
spoiler[Bols family moment] was just totally out of place.
spoiler[Susanoo training Tatsumi], that's a good idea.
Tatsumi got laughed at... that was fun ^^
Interesting how both Jaegers and Night Raid had the same goal this time.
It must be fate that keeps putting Esdeath & Tatsumi together..
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
That's deep!
Prime Minster: It's not really that deep...........

I hope you guys noticed this too (cough) Laughing
/sarcasm

My god have the Akame ga Kill creators been reading my mind? Shit i complained about how hardly anybody on the evil side was self aware and here comes Bols with his pleasing backstory. He doesn'tspoiler[ kill people because he enjoys it.] It does it becausespoiler[ it's his job.] And people being afraid of him is just his way of making amends for the cruel things he's done. Awesome! Just what I wanted to see. It's nice that Wave is pretty much being used as insert like Tatsumi was. Asking the touchy questions that one else wants to say. I'm already starting to like him more than i did before.

I'm saying it right now "best written" villain goes to Bols Wink (that's not saying much though).
Though I hope when he most likely bites the dust it doesn't turn out to be rubbish.

The spoiler[coincidental meeting between Tatsumi and Esdeath] was.........ugh let's just say I should expect this kind of writing but man it made me cringe. Tatsumi just spoiler[happened to climb up the top of the mountain while Esdeath just happened to be flying in the area while danger beasts just happen to attack them at that moment.]

Beautiful......... Cool
za21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Quote:
The spoiler[[coincidental meeting between Tatsumi and Esdeath]] was.........ugh let's just say I should expect this kind of writing but man it made me cringe. Tatsumi just spoiler[[happened to climb up the top of the mountain while Esdeath just happened to be flying in the area while danger beasts just happen to attack them at that moment.]]

It wasn't that coincidental. Esdeath was spoiler[ patrolling the area at night (what she has probably been doing for the past few nights). Tatsumi went to the summit after scouting the area at night as well. She spotted him. ] That's reasonable. Then she spoiler[jumped down like a meteor to Tatsumi's location. The impact awakened the Danger Beasts.] Really not that hard to see, like at all. It's certainly not enough to take a shot at the writing. The writing is fine.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
za21 wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Quote:
The spoiler[[coincidental meeting between Tatsumi and Esdeath]] was.........ugh let's just say I should expect this kind of writing but man it made me cringe. Tatsumi just spoiler[[happened to climb up the top of the mountain while Esdeath just happened to be flying in the area while danger beasts just happen to attack them at that moment.]]

It wasn't that coincidental. Esdeath was spoiler[ patrolling the area at night (what she has probably been doing for the past few nights). Tatsumi went to the summit after scouting the area at night as well. She spotted him. ] That's reasonable. Then she spoiler[jumped down like a meteor to Tatsumi's location. The impact awakened the Danger Beasts.] Really not that hard to see, like at all. It's certainly not enough to take a shot at the writing. The writing is fine.

Yeah but what are the chancesspoiler[ Tatsumi would jump up to the top of the mountain at the near exact moment Esdeath showed up?] The range of those mountains is huge which makes her showing upspoiler[ near his direct location at that time a pretty big coincidence.] Unless she has super vision her being able to spoiler[squint and see him from that high up is pretty silly] (unless she has that sense another person's presence anywhere warriors tend to have).

These writing coincidences for the sake of moving the story forward as fast as possible aren't exactly new. The show has always done this. The first episode is still the biggest offender. It's noticeably bad writing simply due to how unsubtle it is. They needed spoiler[Esdeath and Tatsumi] to meet as fast as possible and they did it. That was probably the purpose of the beasts arc in the first place. It wouldn't be so offensive if this was the first time coincidences like this have happened in the show.
za21

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
By that reasoning, you would say that no matter where they meet again it would be a coincidence. If she ran into him at the marketplace you would say 'oh thats just too much of a coincidence.' spoiler[ It was a pretty high point on the mountain so her spotting him isn't unbelievable. ] So no, it's not a big coincidence.

What are you even talking about? Any coincidences (the one or two can you possibly construe as one throughout the entire series) you are thinking about are pretty damn reasonable. This is basic writing that you see in a fictional story. If a series of events need to unfold to get to a conflict, like spoiler[ Esdeath reuniting with Tatsumi ], then so be it. I don't see how you can flat out say that is bad writing. Nothing indicates that it is. Anyways, who said the story was trying to move forward as fast as possible. Its moving as it needs to.

My point is that, there aren't any AMAZING coincidences that are obvious. Certainly none that are detrimental to the storytelling. Btw, what coincidence are you talking about from the first episode?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 35