• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Onii-sama vs. Superman. Who wins?
Well, Supes is weak against magic so no contest I guess, unless he gets a jump on Tats or fries his brain before reset kicks in.

Also I can imagine newspaper headlines:
"Breaking news! Chinese invasion defeated by schoolchildren".

Superman isn't weak to magic per say, it just affects him like it would anyone else.

And it's not like the school kids are doing much. All they were doing was defending one single point. The military and police are handling the rest.

Cam0 wrote:
That actually raises up the question. How do other magicians defend against 1 shot kill abilities like Tatsuya's disintegration? It doesn't seem like Tatsuya shoots a projectile, it seems like he just activates the spell at a specific location so how do you avoid that?

His Elemental Sight allows him to see in the information dimension. He doesn't need to rely on physical coordinates, he just needs to find a target's information and hit 'delete.' That said, it is possible to defend against it as there are methods of masking your information.

But I think the question of the day is, who would you rather be killed by? Tatsuya or Masaki?
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
And it's not like the school kids are doing much. All they were doing was defending one single point. The military and police are handling the rest.

Good to know. Because it looked the other way around. Besides I'm pretty sure that Suzaku, Tats and Muscles-kun could take them all on their own.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
So Tatsuya can use his OP healing ability spoiler[on others as well....]

jl07045 wrote:
Onii-sama vs. Superman. Who wins?

LOL Supes would just get disintegrated. Even Suzaku look-alike would just turn Superman into a gooey mess Laughing

That actually raises up the question. How do other magicians defend against 1 shot kill abilities like Tatsuya's disintegration? It doesn't seem like Tatsuya shoots a projectile, it seems like he just activates the spell at a specific location so how do you avoid that?
'

you dodge? it's not like the spell get activate in speed of light. It looks like those people can just dodge it if they know it's coming.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:29 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Good to know. Because it looked the other way around. Besides I'm pretty sure that Suzaku, Tats and Muscles-kun could take them all on their own.

Well obviously they're gonna focus on the characters we know rather than the random grunts. Still, it's a case of "high schoolers assisting the proper authorities," not "authorities are useless while the high schoolers do everything."

Suzaku and Muscles are members of mage familes that essentially run the country from the shadows, and Tatsuya is a legitimate member of the military. Hardly typical school kids.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Episode 25

Tatsuya is quite the monster, this time it is not just that he created flight or disintegrate people, but he spoiler[can heal other people like that].
jl07045

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:01 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Suzaku and Muscles are members of mage familes that essentially run the country from the shadows, and Tatsuya is a legitimate member of the military. Hardly typical school kids.

You can tell that to the press. I have a feeling they would go with "schoolchildren". Wink
ShiroKingyo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote
Anyone else finding the pacing in the Yokohama arc to be quite confusing? The 9schools arc was excellent; this one feels a bit forced. I feel like we don't understand the motivations behind the attack very well.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
It's because they left themselves with only 8 episodes to do it, whereas NSC got 11. A lot of stuff got cut as a result, including some important stuff.

For example, the spell Miyuki used on those guys near the end is actually her most powerful spell, Cocytus, but you wouldn't know that considering how little fanfare it got.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

But I think the question of the day is, who would you rather be killed by? Tatsuya or Masaki?

being disintegrated looks like it's quick and painless. I'd choose that over what looks a lot like dying after you get bit by the parasites that were on Cloverfield
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Initially, I disliked the amount of Tatsuya circlejerking but I feel like there's a huge lack of "ONIISAMA"-ing going on this arc. Weird, I must be tsundere for Tatsuya.

I still don't know how to feel about this show; it feels quite average to me. It entertains enough each week that I'm not bored of it but I haven't been wowed by it either. In comparison, I was really excited when I read the manga.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Masaki is using a Dominator on terminate mode. Or he's found the secret to Hokuto Shinken magic. Wink
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Masaki's magic is called Rupture. It vaporizes the fluid in a target, and the resulting pressure causes humans to explode in a messy fashion. He's called the Crimson Prince for a reason.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote
So how do you defend against Masaki's magic? Does he shoot a projectile you can just dodge? If Masaki were to go up against like Tatsuya's aunt for example how would she defend herself against Masaki's magic? Do magicians have a general resist magic spell? I doubt that a fight between powerful magicians is a fast draw competition.

As I understand it, Tatsuya is the only one who can prevent spells from being cast.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote
He doesn't shoot a projectile, he sets target coordinates and the spell's effect occurs at that spot. So it is possible to dodge it, if you're fast enough. Look at Hattori's duel with Tatsuya to see an example of that.

There are other methods to block spells, of course. Barriers, for example, can protect you if they're strong enough. They protect not just your physical body, but your 'information' as well. Katsuto is one of the few people Tatsuya feels intimidated by because no matter how many barriers he destroys, Phalanx automatically generates a new one.

Then there's interference strength, which determines how strongly a mage can influence reality. If, for example, Tatsuya used Mist Dispersal on Leo while he was using Data Fortification, if Leo's interference strength is stronger (which it isn't, but that's beside the point), then he'd be fine. The spell holding him together would trump the one trying to pull him apart.

Related to that, a general technique is called "Zone Interference." It sets up an area around the caster and within that zone any spell with an inferior interference strength doesn't produce effects.

There are also techniques that prevent Tatsuya from seeing an opponent's 'true form,' and he can't interact with something he can't percieve.

And yeah, duels could potentially just become quick draw contests. How fast some one can fire off their one hit kill move is pretty important.

If Masaki were to face Maya, she'd wipe him out in an instant. She's known as the strongest magician in the world for a reason.

Tatsuya isn't the only one who can prevent spells, he's just able to use some unique methods to accomplish it. In episode one Mayumi prevents Honoka from casting a spell by shooting some junk psions into the activation sequence. However Honoka could have been seriously hurt if Mayumi wasn't so skilled.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
She's known as the strongest magician in the world for a reason.

Whoa! Didn't Tatsuya mention in some episode that he believes he could probably take on his aunt (and defeat her)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 30 of 33