• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Second Bleach Movie Announced in Japan

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:59 am Reply with quote
Thats cool that a second bleach movie is coming out. My question is does it usually take almost a year for a movie shown in Japanese theaters in Japan to come out on DVD?
Frnk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:45 am Reply with quote
yeah thats what I've been thinking, plus im sure someone could have subbed it in 7 months!!
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:07 am Reply with quote
i usually takes 6-8months after it took off the theaters. same as the american dvds too i think. people will sub it in a week, but there is no good source to sub it. there are some bad qulity one online.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:24 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Thats cool that a second bleach movie is coming out. My question is does it usually take almost a year for a movie shown in Japanese theaters in Japan to come out on DVD?

A quick survey of the pattern for the Naruto movies suggests that 250-270 days is the correct answer for this scenario (actually, 263 days for both this Bleach movie and Naruto movie 3). Basically it's DVD 9.5 months after release and 2.5 months before next movie.

Looked at another way, it's about 6 weeks less than it took to get Lord of the Rings movies on DVD.

Quote:
yeah thats what I've been thinking, plus im sure someone could have subbed it in 7 months!!

There's no good source to sub until the DVD releases unless someone uses jacked-up camcorder footage.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:27 am Reply with quote
Frnk wrote:

Like Mokona said, there is only crappy camcorder recordings available at this point and nobody is going to want to try to use that. Once it comes out, DVD rips will surely pop up and then the fansubs will appear. While I'm still watching the Bleach fansubs (and buying the Viz DVDs), I'll just wait until the official U.S. release to see the movies.
Toneloak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:28 am Reply with quote
MokonaModoki wrote:
Quote:

A quick survey of the pattern for the Naruto movies suggests that 250-270 days is the correct answer for this scenario (actually, 263 days for both this Bleach movie and Naruto movie 3). Basically it's DVD 9.5 months after release and 2.5 months before next movie.

Looked at another way, it's about 6 weeks less than it took to get Lord of the Rings movies on DVD.

Quote:

There's no good source to sub until the DVD releases unless someone uses jacked-up camcorder footage.

9 months is excessive. How long was the movie in the theaters? Because, Ghost Rider was out in February and is on DVD already. That's a five month turn around and if you don't count the time it was in the theaters a 3 1/2 month turn around.

No good source for subbing. What about pay-per-view I used to record those all the time and they'd look fine, HDTV fine now days.

But, I'm not blaming you or anything. There just seems like some dumb decision making. Hell most US studios make the bulk of there money on DVD sells (for the long term that is, because there are a lot of hands in the pot for the theatrical releases). Maybe it's nothing but they seem to be holding off the DVD releases because they wanted to have the collector's edition ready or squeeze the last bit of money out of the theaters. Hmm, maybe the long wait works well for Japanese companies, because it allows time for international releases without quality Subbers to worry about.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
No good source for subbing. What about pay-per-view I used to record those all the time and they'd look fine, HDTV fine now days.

What part of "movie" don't you understand? It was in theaters, not on TV.
MokonaModoki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Toneloak wrote:
MokonaModoki wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

9 months is excessive. How long was the movie in the theaters? Because, Ghost Rider was out in February and is on DVD already. That's a five month turn around and if you don't count the time it was in the theaters a 3 1/2 month turn around.

But, I'm not blaming you or anything. There just seems like some dumb decision making. Hell most US studios make the bulk of there money on DVD sells (for the long term that is, because there are a lot of hands in the pot for the theatrical releases). Maybe it's nothing but they seem to be holding off the DVD releases because they wanted to have the collector's edition ready or squeeze the last bit of money out of the theaters. Hmm, maybe the long wait works well for Japanese companies, because it allows time for international releases without quality Subbers to worry about.

It's not like they can't release DVDs faster. Conqueror of Shamballa released to DVD 7 months after theatrical release. Ghost in the Shell: S.A.C. Solid State Society released to DVD less than 3 months after it debuted on Pay Per View.

In that context, it seems pretty obvious that the DVD release schedule is coordinated to fuel interest in the next movie, and hype for the next movie fuels interest in the DVD. From a marketing standpoint, it's pretty straightforward. I pointed out the Lord of the Rings example for a reason, and 11 months from theater to DVD certainly didn't hurt those films' money haul.

For international releases, the first Naruto movie premiers in the US tomorrow, a couple month shy of three years since it's release in Japanese theaters, so that sort of thing is almost certainly NOT a consideration.

As far as fansubbing goes, I'm sure they don't even want to think about it. You're talking about a movie that has never been free-to-see in any context, so any fansubbing of it will be straight-up no-excuses stealing just like any other movie you might download a torrent of. That isn't going to stop anything, but it isn't as if this is floating around the airwaves for anyone who speaks Japanese to enjoy (or fansub).
LightYagami

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:00 pm Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Toneloak wrote:

What part of "movie" don't you understand? It was in theaters, not on TV.

I think what Toneloak was asking is if it has been shown a pay-per-view in Japan. Since Sometimes here in the states a pay-per-view channel will have a movie shown on their before its released on DVD. I have no clue on how Japan handles pay per view, but it does raise a good point of why some one hasn't bothered recording it on their TIVO or its equivalant if it has been shown on pay-per-view.
izanagi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Hi all.
I want to get the deluxe editon, but I can't seem to find it. I only see the limited edition. Can someone tell me where I can order the deluxe edition?
Thanks a lot! Smile
Omega037

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, movie theaters aren't that big here, so there aren't many and they are fairly expensive. People are also very busy, so they may have to postpone going for a while. To give an example, my prefecture has about 1-2 million people and about 5-6 movie theaters total. I can imagine that it takes some time to fully milk a cash cow like an anime movie.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. I hope they come to the US. The 1st DS and Wii game were announced by Sega, so it must be getting more popular.
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I still yet have to see the first movie
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:36 am Reply with quote
That's the situation for pretty much anyone outside of Japan since there aren't even halfway decent raws available due to the lack of DVDs to rip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1