• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Can you get too old for anime?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
@Psycho 101
I did read through the entire Introductions thread back about the time I posted my intro. Well, skim read, enough to get sex and age and primary interests. Some of those are right long. You're right most of the early posters are no longer active. I've followed it since then and I'm a bit amused by how many post an introduction and are never heard from again. Of course we also get a few that start posting aggressively from the beginning. Those usually run afoul of Tony K. and disappear also.

@pibburns
You certainly did start watching anime younger. I was 52 when I first saw any anime. Of course when I did I was captivated and have been heavily involved since than.

For a variety of reasons I never did start a habit of watching TV. From the time I left home for college in 1963 I lost almost all access to TV. I didn't buy one for my home until 1975. This was shortly after I got married and my wife insisted. I still don't watch any broadcast or cable TV except the evening news.

In August 1997 I went into a comic shop in the local mall. My wife was looking for Star Trek figures. I found a couple of VHS tapes that looked interesting, Ranma 1/2 and Oh My Goddess! By the time I had finished watching them I was hooked.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Psycho 101
I did read through the entire Introductions thread back about the time I posted my intro. Well, skim read, enough to get sex and age and primary interests. Some of those are right long. You're right most of the early posters are no longer active. I've followed it since then and I'm a bit amused by how many post an introduction and are never heard from again. Of course we also get a few that start posting aggressively from the beginning. Those usually run afoul of Tony K. and disappear also.

You know that is a good point. Most who post in the intro thread now do up and disappear by in large. Granted back then the formal intro thread was made after many of us were already "established" here if you will. Still, majority who posted there were active and hung around for at least a few years. Now....it's part of why I find it hard to do my meet and greet thing anymore. Back then it was a fun way to welcome new people and strike up a dialog. Many would post a lot after the intro post and it was a good ice breaker. Now it seems most post there, have a dozen or so posts elsewhere, and then fade away into the sunset.

Oh and you should have seen Tony then. He was much more laid back and calm. Then came his "I'm House" phase. Thank God he went and got himself a gf. Though now he's the bad cop in his "I am the law!" Dredd phase. Love ya Tony!!! Please don't boot me from the fantasy football league Laughing Actually back then the mod you had to watch out for was Nagisa. He was always ready to toss out some snarky and harsh shots before locking your thread or deleting your post. And who decided on their 5th post here to tell him he was being unfairly rude towards another poster? Oh yea, this guy right here lol. More balls than brains I always say heh. I think once Nagisa found out I liked the band Nightwish he cut me some slack heh. He wasn't a bad guy though. Bad then it was also mostly just him and Tony. That could not have been fun. Then came Selenta. Pissed him off right away too. Ah those were the days lol. Of course back then you also had Zac doing a lot more moderator posts himself. Pretty sure I pissed him off a few times as well.

Alan45 wrote:
In August 1997 I went into a comic shop in the local mall. My wife was looking for Star Trek figures. I found a couple of VHS tapes that looked interesting, Ranma 1/2 and Oh My Goddess! By the time I had finished watching them I was hooked.

Glad to see Oh My Goddess snagged another victim and converted them heh. That was the title that turned me from a casual viewer to a real "fan" if you will. Turned anime/manga into an actual hobby for me and not just something to pass the time and enjoy.
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea an internet forum could have such a rich history, it's almost touching. Lol.
pibburns

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

I found a couple of VHS tapes that looked interesting, Ranma 1/2 and Oh My Goddess! By the time I had finished watching them I was hooked.

Two of my favorite series as well. Oh My Goddess! is one of the few series for which I have also purchased the entire manga series to date, along with various associated art books, etc. Now that the manga series has finished in Japan, there's just a few more months before the final English language manga volumes come out here in the States. Quite a nice quarter of a century run.

I mostly post in the "identifying anime" thread. Other than that I'm a typical read-only member.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Lain'sHairline wrote:
I had no idea an internet forum could have such a rich history, it's almost touching. Lol.

Rich is one word for it lol. Crazy and insane are others heh. There are a lot of stories though I could tell in regards to past conversations and posters. Many had very unique personalities and in turn so did the conversations. It feels like just yesterday to me but in reality I've been here (officially - I lurked for a few years before joining the forums) 8 years now. I have seen many a poster come and go. It seems to go in waves. A group of active posters leave and another group pops up. I've personally had many a good discussion over the years with several posters. I'm friends with many on Facebook and other social media sites still, and have met several over the years at various cons. Met many of the staff too. Believe it or not despite his grumpy demeanor (I mean that in the best of Darth Vader ways) many say Zac has here he is actually super nice in person. So are Bamboo, Justin, and Tempest.
EndlessEmpty

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:12 pm Reply with quote
If you believe a story to be touching, if it affects you, than it will stay with you, no matter what medium it's conveyed through.
DJStarstryker

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:26 am Reply with quote
I don't think so. I've been into anime for over 15 years now (I'm in my early 30s). Some years there is less interesting anime so I stop watching temporarily, but it's never a permanent thing.

I have noticed that my tastes have certainly changed. I didn't mind fanservice anime when I was younger, but now I really can't stand most anime that have fanservice for fanservice's sake. It has to have more substance to the story and the characters. I don't mind if the show is aimed towards children or adults though, as long as it's fun to watch.
Nekoboy24

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm currently in med school with 1 kid and we watch it together mind to I'm almost 25 Rolling Eyes
Ambehr79

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Shocked Muhuhuhuuuuuuu~ . . . Don't think so. Anime hyper True, reality really cuts into your spare time considering job and family, not to mention friends, will sweep you away from anime. Mehhh, but I don't think anime will be something that will die out for me the older I get. There's so many genres, recommendations, and frankly, previews are the best parts of anime when it comes down to it in getting hooked.

Cool I will be dragged kicking and screaming away before I let go of anime. I owe it too much for it to just be forgotten. >w< PS!! Thankfully it's getting to be more world-widely known, and curiosity always gets the best for me when it comes to pics and quotes found browsing. Time will be made!! Very Happy
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:53 am Reply with quote
No. I'm 33 born in 1981. Anime for life.

You may consider my posts "bullet points" but Im a mutt of few words. Anime is the best thing and speaks more than any mainstream culture ever will.

Never too old for anime.

Where is Abunai? I miss Psycho and Fighterholic.

You hangin in the subscriber threads now Psycho101?
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
Another old man checking in here (in my 30's) Smile

No, you're never too old for anime. Like most people, I thought I would "outgrow" anime when I finished college but luckily it never happened. In fact, I think now is the best time to be an anime fan. Because they are so many shows nowadays, there's something for everyone. And if you're more of an old school fan, older shows are easier to find than before, and plenty of people are translating older shows that never made it here.

The only downside is that there's a bigger generational gap than before. A lot of anime I consider classics or landmark titles from the 80's and 90's, even early 2000's, are usually unknown to most anime fans born in the 90's and later.

Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Anime is the best thing and speaks more than any mainstream culture ever will.

Same here. I don't really follow that much tv, and I'll occasionally watch a movie, but except for videogames, anime is my primary source of entertainment.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:32 am Reply with quote
Can you get too old for anime (tv) ? Yes you can.
The problem is, the more you grow the less time you have to watch indiscrinately anime unless you do it for work. And furthermore your tastes may evolve and you can become much more discerning as to what series is worth watching. Wife and kids can also influence you. You ain't gonna watch those loli shows if you have wife and kids.
Fact is as an adult you'll want to watch adult anime (not ecchi nor hentai). And in the tv world there just isn't much of it. So you definitely can run out of gas so to speak.
Bugnin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote
32 here as well. I also started with Ranma 1/2 in the late 90's. You get into new series all the time but you never forget your first. I too have had years where I've taken time off from the hobby due to life circumstances, but eventually I always get back into it.

One thing though, I haven't been to a con since I turned 30 (I went to ten straight Otakons from 2002-2011). I never wanted to get to the point where it felt awkward to be there with thousands of mostly college aged people and teenagers about half my age, so I cut myself off while my last memories of Otakon were good ones. If my kids ever get into anime/manga, I'd be more than happy to bring them there someday when they're old enough to survive it.

I will say this: Family does not make it easy on me as I get older. I still get the awkward pitiful glances at extended family gatherings. I know they see me as a grown man that watches Japanese cartoons (this actually gets discussed believe it or not), and despite the fact I'm a fully independent, functional adult with a place of my own and a decent life I made for myself, I'm defined in their eyes by that trait and that trait alone, because it is so abhorrent to them, so no matter what I accomplish in life to them I'll always be a child that never grew up properly.

Even so, I'd never change my hobby over something so stupid. You enjoy what you enjoy and so long as you aren't hurting someone else and you never grow out of it, fudge what anyone else thinks. I enjoy anime. I have a lot of friends and co-workers that enjoy anime. Most importantly, my awesome fiancee also enjoys anime. Far as I can tell, if you're that put off by an innocent hobby that hurts no one, I think you're the one that didn't grow up properly.

Last edited by Bugnin on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
t-Roy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
Hi all! This is only my second post on this forum, but I saw this topic and had to respond... I'm 53, and only started watching anime about 3 years ago, after I turned 50! I actually watched some of the first original Japanese anime to be broadcast on US televison way back in the mid 1960's, like the original Speed Racer, Kimba, Astroboy, and even Ultraman (live action), but I never really cared for that stuff as a child. I now have two teenage daughters, who introduced me to a few Studio Ghibli movies about 7 years ago when they were younger, and I found I really enjoyed watching them myself. Later on, my youngest daughter was watching Avatar:TLAB on Nick, and even though it's not really anime, it looked just like it, and I totally loved the story. Then, 3 years ago I happened to watch some anime on Adult Swim, with Durarara!, FMA:B, and Casshern Sins being the first, and I thought it was quite interesting. After I dropped all TV service in my house and got Netflix streaming for my girls, I started watching some of the anime on there: Blood+, Last Exile, and Gunslinger Girl did me in, and I was finally hooked.

I have been buying/collecting anime only since May of last year, but I own about 250 titles already, mostly Blu-ray, Limited Collector's Editions, and Japanese Imports, so I've really broke the bank this past year and a half, probably spent at least 10 Grand on anime in that short time! But, I think a lot of the stories in anime are far better than most crappy Hollywood movies anymore, and I no longer buy much of that, so almost all my Blu-ray movie $$ go towards anime purchases now.

Being as old as I am, I do prefer anime which is geared towards an adult viewer - serious action, adventure, scifi, mystery, horror, period fantasy, and some drama/romance. I stay completely away from the cutesy girly moe kawaii stuff, ecchi/fanservice, comedy, shonen, giant mech, and the Big 3/4/5 whatever series. My absolute favorite genre of anime is "Girls with Guns," so my top anime are titles like Noir, Gunslinger Girl, GitS, Black Lagoon, Psycho Pass, Madlax, Canaan, etc. Also, I'm an original language fan, so I don't do English dubs - it's subs-only for me.

So anyway, here I am, hangin' out in the anime forums now... Wink
Errinundra

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Middle-aged men and girls with guns. Mmmm. Maybe we're personifying our fear of women with that trope.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, I'm 56 and Noir and Gunslinger Girl are two of my favourites. I also watched Astro Boy and Kimba back in the 60s.

(Then again, I'm only assuming you're a man.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 9 of 12