• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kasimasi Sub.DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gacktx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:45 am Reply with quote
Lol how is no English dub a negitive?
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:39 am Reply with quote
WOAH when did Kashimashi get licensed?!? I nearly fell off my chair when I saw this here! I must have completley missed the license announcement....
Wargh, now I just have to wait for Madman to bring it to Australia already. Hurry up, Madman, please!
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:41 am Reply with quote
Gacktx wrote:

Because we can't hear our favorite English VAs lust over each other. Why should the Japanese seiyuus have all the fun?! Rolling Eyes
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote
I got it this weekend, I was absolutely on cloud nine as I watched the first episode! I can't wait for the rest!
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote
You know, reading the summary at the start of the review, I began to cringe, but after reading the rest, I'm going to have to add this one to my Netflix queue. I've been burned by yuri for the sake of yuri before (Strawberry Panic!), but maybe this one will work a bit better for me.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:02 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Gacktx wrote:

Because we can't hear our favorite English VAs lust over each other. Why should the Japanese seiyuus have all the fun?! Rolling Eyes
Just to add in a serious reason to darkchibi07's humerous and fun reason, lack of English dub also means that this title will have very low sales compared to other anime titles, even other niche titles. Although the sub lovers are out there, a fair portion stick only to fansubs and of those who legally purchase anime DVDs, a minority will be buying this title. (Yuri isn't exactly the biggest anime fandom of all time.)

The pool of potential buyers is increased quite a bit by the presence of an English dub. While the reviewer shrugs it off a bit, it does mean lower sales numbers.

Oh and while the price point is low, to someone who prefers English dubs, like myself, the price tag means squat.

Maybe this is why no English dub might be a negative. Rolling Eyes

I might pick this series up someday, but if it happens it will be from a very cheap bargain bin, because my priority one titles are those with an English dub and I don't support the idea of monolingual releases regardless of which language is being used.
manafairy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:49 am Reply with quote
How significant is the fact that the main character was a originally a guy? I was interested in this show when I first heard it was licensed, as I tend to enjoy shoujo-ai, but then I learned of the lead being originally male as if to justify the female/female attraction, and it suddenly lost nearly all of its appeal to me. On top of that, I just can't help but think this is one of those stories where gender roles take center stage and now that his body is that of a woman, we'll get to see his personality slowly change to match a stereotype rather than just live as who he always was just physically in female form. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of learning and coming to "act like a girl" makes me cringe. So would I be wrong to think that? I mean, does this come off more as a gimmickey psuedo het romance, or more Maria-sama ga miteru-ish in the sense that it's honest, sweet, and believable even with this gimmick?
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
I was also disappointed to hear that this one wouldn't have a dub, but given how much of a niche title it is even within anime, it might not have been viable to license with the cost of a dub figured in. That and the lower price make me somewhat accepting of it.

I've loved the first couple of volumes of the manga, so this review reaffirms that it will be a priority buy for me.

And manafairy: Based on the first couple of volumes of the manga, the gender change adds an additional twist to a story whose love triangle is otherwise gender-neutral. It add an "does gender matter in romantic love" aspect to things.

And really, a lot of the gender-change stuff doesn't feel as gimmicky in execution as it sounds like it is.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GoodLuckSaturday

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:05 am Reply with quote
manafairy wrote:
How significant is the fact that the main character was a originally a guy? I was interested in this show when I first heard it was licensed, as I tend to enjoy shoujo-ai, but then I learned of the lead being originally male as if to justify the female/female attraction, and it suddenly lost nearly all of its appeal to me. On top of that, I just can't help but think this is one of those stories where gender roles take center stage and now that his body is that of a woman, we'll get to see his personality slowly change to match a stereotype rather than just live as who he always was just physically in female form. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of learning and coming to "act like a girl" makes me cringe. So would I be wrong to think that? I mean, does this come off more as a gimmickey psuedo het romance, or more Maria-sama ga miteru-ish in the sense that it's honest, sweet, and believable even with this gimmick?

The whole Hazumu was once a guy thing isn't really a focus outside of the first couple of episodes when the characters around him/her are trying to get used to the change.

As for Hazumu becoming more girly, the interesting thing is that Hazumu as a boy was pretty girly to begin with, so the transition isn't as boldly stereotypical and annoying as it would be otherwise. Hazumu remains largely himself even though he's now a girl, regardless of the fact his self as a boy wasn't all too different from that of a girl.

And I actually felt it was a pretty honest and sweet romance. I don't know if I'd put it on the same level as MariMite since for whatever reason, Kashimashi's romance kind of reminds me more of Please Teacher! than it ever did of MariMite. But it's definitely on a higher level than cross gender/shoujo-ai shows like Otome wa Boku ni Koishiteru or Strawberry Panic.
E-Arkham

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote
There are no words that are suitable for posting on this forum to express how much I disliked the school teacher's antics. The aliens came in a close second.

Likewise, I'm equally annoyed with the ending... And that's really all I can say about that without spoiling things (others may have the exact opposite reaction that I did).

But at its core, Kashimashi is a wonderfully done love-triangle, so well handled that despite the extremely annoying side-character stuff and how much I disagreed with the ending, I'm still strongly tempted to buy the series. If only it had an artbox, that would be enough to tip it from "maybe" to the "will buy" category.

Kep
Jedi General

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Ah, Kashimashi. One of my all time favorite series, so I'm happy that it recieved such a glowing review. I watched this even before I really got into yuri too. I first loved it for the story, nothing more. But now, I also like it for a different reason that I don't think needs mentioning. Anime smile + sweatdrop

While I'm sad that there isn't a dub, I'm buying this series anyway as I just absolutely loved it when I watched the fansubs. In fact, I already have the first DVD. I received it in the mail from TRSI almost a month ago and I have the final two on order already.

The manga has been great as well. I just wonder what the differences are going to be.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tumalu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a pretty positive review - I would have definitely bought this if it had a dub. As a general rule though, I only buy R1 discs if they have both audio tracks.
zebbox

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:55 pm Reply with quote
no dub :(
is no even worth too buy it then.
TsubomiKoneko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quote
zebbox wrote:
no dub Sad
is no even worth too buy it then.

Why? Because reading is so hard? Rolling Eyes It's the same show, whether the characters are speaking English or Japanese.
Tumalu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:46 pm Reply with quote
TsubomiKoneko wrote:
Why? Because reading is so hard? Rolling Eyes It's the same show, whether the characters are speaking English or Japanese.

I wonder how many sub fans would be willing to buy dub-only DVDs. Some probably wouldn't mind, but I'm sure a lot would. And of course reading isn't that difficult, but I personally find that it distracts somewhat from the animation.

To be fair though, it's not just about reading the subtitles - I wouldn't buy the disc if it were dub-only either. Often times I enjoy watching the dub and the sub. If the R1 company doesn't care enough to include both on a given release, then I'll have nothing to do with it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4