• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Terraformars & Terra Formars Revenge (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11 am Reply with quote

Terra Formars (TV)
Terra Formars: Revenge (TV)

Genres: science fiction

Plot Summary: With the space program attempting to travel to Mars, 21st century scientists were tasked with warming up the planet so that humans could survive on its surface. They came up with an efficient and cost-effective plan of sending cockroaches and mold to the surface so that the mold would absorb the sunlight and the insect corpses would serve as a food source for the mold.

It is now the year 2577 and the first manned ship to Mars has landed on the planet and the six crew members are ready for their mission. But what they find are giant mutated humanoid cockroaches with incredible physical strength. The crew members are easily wiped out, but not before sending a transmission back to Earth. Now, humanity will send elite warriors to exterminate the mutated bugs and claim back Mars.
----------------------------------

The OVA is out now and it was an alright setup based on the premise. We get the antagonists of the series involving the spoiler[cockroaches and resistance to fight against them in a fictional world. The OVA is more of a prequel but serves to construct the basis of the series with its characters.]

Anyways yeah, I hope the show will live up to its promise.

Last edited by Stark700 on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lain'sHairline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Watched episode 1, don't see what all the fuss was about. Yet again the anime hype train drove itself off a cliff.

This anime is trash. Laughing
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

The spoiler[censors ruined the fight in this episode. Otherwise, it's pretty much the setup. They portrayed the character expressions well but the pacing felt a bit off. We'll see the characters fight those cockroaches soon so I hope they can get the action coordinated well.]

Also, I think this is a 1 cour since Jojo has the time slot with its return next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Hizamaru Akari vs a bear in a cage fight?!
Damn, that was just insane.
His drama wasn't that original, but was painful for him.
At least it explains how he got recruited.
Guess the point of first half was to get to know Hizamaru better.
But they are getting there slowly.
Still, the second half started to involve the Mars mission.
Team members were gathered,briefed & shipped off to Mars.
The adventure begins with episode 2.]

Solid start.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I made it a good 2 minutes before giving up.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:06 pm Reply with quote
This series is probably going to be dumb as bricks, and I will probably enjoy most of it.

Quote:
Solid start.

Pretty much, this is the "sci fi bug hunt" and doesn't need much more than "one of our characters has a tragic backstory, spoiler[but enough of that, everyone get on the StarCraft Command Center after a time skip transition".]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I dug it. Seems like this is gonna be a brawny, hairy-chested, he-man fightin' show. Bring it on!
Bugnin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
That was as bad an opening 15 minutes as an anime can have.

I'm not averse to dumb fun shows, but this episode was all dumb and no fun. This wasn't edgy; it was dark for the sake of being dark.
Merida

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
It's giant cockroaches vs. genetically engineered(?) humans, what's not to love about it? Laughing I wonder if they are going to spoiler[censor] the cockroach gore as well or if it only applies to spoiler[(teddy) bears and humans]...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 2:41 am Reply with quote
That started out like a Texhnolyze wannabe and ended up as Starship Troopers. Why cockroaches? Why not termites, or some other useful insect?

I see potential here, but they sure have some work to do.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I dug it. Seems like this is gonna be a brawny, hairy-chested, he-man fightin' show. Bring it on!

The animation is crap. At this point the manga is definitely more enjoyable (graphicswise) than the anime. 90 % I'll drop this anime if the animation doesn't improve a lot by the second episode. A fighting show with mostly static shots is crap, crap crap.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:06 am Reply with quote
I'm not being sarcastic here, but genuinely curious: how can the manga be more impressive graphicwise than the anime? Manga is by definition a series of static shots, which is what your complaint about the anime is. Is the artwork better or something?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I'm not being sarcastic here, but genuinely curious: how can the manga be more impressive graphicwise than the anime? Manga is by definition a series of static shots, which is what your complaint about the anime is. Is the artwork better or something?

Because the manga pictures are more detailed. Yes you are correct in that the manga is static by nature (you can still create movement even though the images are static), but an anime as the name implies is about animating images. So you'll understand why watching a static show when it should all be about movement doesn't interest me even though I find the premise of the show interesting. Plus the censorship and the designs in the anime are not good. Seriously take any page from the manga and look at the characters in the anime. The adaptation is shit. Whoever is doing this anime is spending very very very little money and it shows. Think SHAFT but 10 times worse.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Most of this did feel dumb, the animation not pique interest at all, and was generally rather tedious. But it managed to make me interested in the end with the promise of fighting giant bugs, the plot of spoiler[sending cockroaches to Mars and that happening to them,] has me interested.

I might watch a bit now.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The animation is crap. At this point the manga is definitely more enjoyable (graphicswise) than the anime. 90 % I'll drop this anime if the animation doesn't improve a lot by the second episode. A fighting show with mostly static shots is crap, crap crap.

Anime doesn't work like that, the animation doesn't suddenly improve through the course of the series. We already know that production of the show is already a mess and that LIDEN films is a small studio with very few staff members. If anything you should expect animation only to get worse.
That said Hamaski's direction worked much better in this episode, than it did in the OVAs. The lighting and the color filters, help bring out dirty and depressing atmosphere of the world these characters inhabit. The mechanistic sound effects and fragmentary inclusion of flashbacks, again give an unusual weight to a silly story like this. Hamasaki is just repeating himself ever since the brilliant Texhnolyze, but when it works it works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6