• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon Crystal (ONA).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:09 am Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
Quote:
There is always the question of why most magical girls shows reverted, not following Sailor Moon's age design levels, that is probably essay worthy.

Card Captor Sakura was the "popular magical girl series" right after the SM completed its original run, even then within series Chibi Usa (creating an example of a VERY young heroine that looked like a young girl) appeared as well as the Senshi grew older there "older than they look" appearance caught up and the designs simply looked appropriate for there age in the original anime run.

CCS was exactly what I was thinking, and I would actually be interested in finding out why, what is reasoning behind designs.

Well the magical girl anime I watched mostly when I was young were Cardcaptorrs (Card Captor Sakura dub) and Mew Mew Powers (Tokyo Mew Mew), although maybe TMM did maybe have similarities. Without really checking an age, I do think on the topic of their designs that I maybe bring up the Italian cartoon Winx Club where characters actually look very adult.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
I cannot think of a (magical girl) series outside of SM that deliberately has an art style that aimed to make characters look notably older than they actually are (barring of course magical age up transformations).
There are a number of anime/manga that have sophisticated costumed characters, but the focus of making what are canonically middle schoolers having the character aesthetic of ~18 year olds is something unique for Naoko Takeuchi, something that I do recall is in some interviews that she fought tooth and nail for there skirts to be short and for the characters to have a "mature" vibe.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:19 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
I cannot think of a (magical girl) series outside of SM that deliberately has an art style that aimed to make characters look notably older than they actually are (barring of course magical age up transformations).

Wedding Peach. >_> Definitely Wedding Peach. Girls are supposed to be thirteen and it's like "NO F*CKING WAY."
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:22 am Reply with quote
Episode 5:

I think the animation quality improved this episode so I guess I can excuse the 3 week gap Cool

Anyways, I liked the latest episode with spoiler[Mako being introduced as Sailor Jupiter. The fight was short but understandable. I like how they are giving each sailor scout their own spotlight right now to really make them appreciable.]

One more spoiler[sailor scout left to join the team....although next episode seems to involve Tuxedo Mask.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

CGI lighting transformation sequence is badass.

Also, have the villains thought about getting energy from a neighbourhood that the Sailor Scouts do not hang out in? And I am pretty sure part of this story would have fit in as an episode of Yami Shibai.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Something I just noticed in this episode is that each of the Guardians(discounting Moon) have there corresponding planet in the background at the end of there transformation.

Jupiter has probably my favorite seiyuu change (so far) and I thoroughly enjoyed the original seiyuu performance.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:58 pm Reply with quote
I agree, I really like Makoto's voice in Crystal. It just has a different quality to it that I can't quite put my finger on but I like it.

Episode 5 definitely was everything people were saying it was and I feel like the series may have finally hit it's stride. I'm also very excited to see the next episode, since I think it's done a good job at building up the mystery of Tuxedo Mask and it would be interesting to see some of the pieces come together.

It definitely makes me want to re-read the manga, though I also like that I don't remember exactly what is going to happen next now.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:30 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

It was an alright episode. Tbh, I was looking forward to spoiler[Sailor Venus since she was hinted in the episode but maybe another time. The action was decent with the Usagi x Tuxedo Mask moments]

Their troubles have only begun though spoiler[especially now that Queen Beryl has shown herself]...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Thoughts during the episode:

*Since when is Zoicite the "European commander"? There's never been any evidence that they're active outside of Japan.

*How are they in the arcade after hours?

*Comment from my mother while Luna was on screen: "That one's not Artemis. Artemis was the white one." We applauded her for remembering that.

*I still miss the karaoke parlor.

*And them my mother ask if Artemis was Tuxedo Mask's cat. We had to correct her to him being Venus'. We take back that applause.

*I think I like Tuxedo Mask best in this version, than the other 3. I like that he's not the "perfect guy" he's presented as in the manga and the original anime.

*I'd love to get a Darkury-esque arc in here.

*Dude, Usagi, he'd already told you he knew earlier.

*Don't make us watch it don't make us watch it do--DANGIT! Didn't wanna have to watch the transformation sequence.

*How is a healing spell an attack?

*Her broach on her bow and choker changed between her scene with Beryl and her scene with Tuxedo Mask. It was plain before, and had design after.

*Hi V!

*Well, cat's out of the bag now.

*Huh, her dress is see-through in the ending.

*IIRC, the next episode is accurate to chapter 7 of the manga, and V/Venus shows up at the end.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:

*Since when is Zoicite the "European commander"? There's never been any evidence that they're active outside of Japan

They had titles/dominion over parts of the Earth during the Silver Millennium.
Shuyinsama

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6 has changed the opening.

Queen Serenity finally got a design overhaul

Episode 5:

Episode 6:
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Shuyinsama wrote:
Episode 6 has changed the opening.

Queen Serenity finally got a design overhaul

Episode 5:

Episode 6:

OH THANK YOU LORD.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
Episode 7:

It was an alright episode, first half felt a bit slow. Well, I do feel sorry for spoiler[Tuexdo Mask and his past considering he lost both of his parents. Life's harsh..]

Otherwise, my favorite part of the episode is near the end when spoiler[Sailor Venus showed up just at the right time. Next episode should be fun.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

*Tuxedo mask spoiler[holds handkerchief]*
Me: "spoiler[Smell it. Smell it. Smell it]."
*Tuxedo mask spoiler[sniffs the handkerchief]*
Me: "Yes!"

And Usagi's voice was actually tolerable for some parts. And I admit I laughed at the lunch scene.

Also there are DVDs and tablets. Something that would have totally been sci-fi when done originally.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure he kissed it. Though he might have also caught a scent or two while doing so
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 18