• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Space Dandy (TV) (both seasons).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 13

spoiler[So there you have it, Dandy is an anomaly over multiple dimensions that, which is why so many crazy stuff happened and people were interested in him]. Bea was spoiler[a spy, Likely the one tipping off Johnny's group earlier on, and Perie seems to be a normal human who is crazy]. And the spoiler[Narrator is god, which Dandy turns the job down for because of Boobies], which really is not a surprise in the least.

We got to see a little parade of things going in space at the end of the different parts of the show. My heart leapt a bit in seeing the space train with space marine life for the Adélie episode and the junk for the Pup episode. Those were some standout parts that I think this season did not quite have, well Limbo was close. How to describe Space Dandy, well I don't think it is too jumping the gun to say it is art. The show has had a huge amount of an experimental charm. Dandy is not the hero in every other story, he is a loser, but he has heart, baby. He is a pervert, but he has respect, he will fail, but not give up. I might describe it as Cowboy Bebop meets Futurama, but you really don't know what you will get.

I rated the first season as "Good", and I think that was because this show was really not done yet, there was a lot that Dandy still had to experiment with. And after this season, I think yeah this acceptable, all this Dandy has been good, and still I would not turn down more. Towards the end it was only highlighted how underused the bubbly waitress Honey was, as well the serious Scarlet Even though I should rate the season by itself, I find myself thinking of it as a whole, that this second season was just the second half. I rate it Very Good, it is something I get the feeling has some impact of anime, I would quite like to own the series, it has been one of the few shows I watched in English.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, that wasn't the best episode of the show but nevertheless it was really entertaining. The animation was [expletive] amazing, with dynamic camera backing it up. The twists couldn't have been more overt the top and insane, I just hop[e we will get to see that Space dandy movie.
The second season is a masterpiece and one of the shows that aired this year.
Quote:

And the only thing I could think of was that it was a parody/rip-off of spoiler[Madoka].

It's got all the benchmarks. Multiple universes, Dandy being the same guy in each of them, spoiler[Dandy being given a chance to become god, because of this power that was built up over all the universes].

Those are shallow similarities, they appear in tons of shows.
Also, when was it mentioned spoiler[ that Dandy built up all of the energy because of multiple universes? I don't recall that detail. ]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:30 am Reply with quote
Not necessarily the strongest single episode of the show but pretty close to the perfect conclusion. A big, beautiful, sprawling space battle was the perfect way to cap things off. Plus I really, really enjoyed all the little callbacks to rest of the series and the way they tie everything together. It's very clever how they actually manage to spoiler[turn the show's complete lack of continuity and reset button mentality (especially in season 1) into an actual defining plot point here. I also loved the twist with Bea. Totally shocking.]

Anyway, I'm sad to see this show end. I rated season 1 very good but my final rating for season 2 is masterpiece. Admittedly, it's gonna be on the lower end of the masterpiece spectrum because it could still be inconsistent. There were some definite misses. But all the same, it is still easily my favorite show of the last couple years.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
IT'S OOOOOOVVVVEEEEERRRRRR. NOOOOOOOO. Crying or Very sad

*Sniff* This was the first time I ever watched something while it was airing. I will probably never have the chance to do it again since I don't normally do this. That's part of the reason I'm so sad that Space Dandy is finished. The other part is that I really liked this show.

This show was a science fiction party, and everyone was invited. We saw an entire universe getting turned into zombies, a planet of plant people, a never ending time loop, a vacuum cleaner and coffee maker falling in love, a planet of fish people getting fried, the FREAKING AFTER LIFE, and of course, several universes getting destroyed in various ways. And all along, it was fun. Hey, it was even pretty damn awesome. Since the beginning of the year, we laughed and cried and cheered as we watched Dandy and friends through their dimension-hopping adventures.

So. This ending was...perfect. It wasn't the best episode of the series, but it was a perfect ending to the series itself. It had great animation, plenty of awesome, a couple of heartwarming moments, and everything in between. I can't describe it here because you guys did it better than I could. Overall, fantastic show. I rated this second season "very good", and continue to look forward to new Dandy projects. So long.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Aww, and now it's over...Sad

Honestly I didn't expect that spoiler[any of the one-shot characters from previous episodes would ever appear again, but I suppose it makes sense that Johnny would show up here since he is the leader of the Jaicro Empire.]

For the most part I can only really reiterate what others have said: as an episode, there were others I enjoyed more, but as an ending, it works really well.

Seeing where this series would go from week to week was so much fun. I hope we can get another series in the future willing to do some of the things this one did.
Adam M Silvia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Space Dandy is one of the most fun animes that I’ve seen in years, but more importantly it never takes itself seriously, which makes for a very entertaining experience each time. For those who have never seen this show it’s about a bounty hunter in space who searches for new alien life for registration, but Dandy almost always fails at this. Furthermore, that’s one of the aspects I like most about this series.

[EDIT: We don't allow advertising and/or solicitations for personal endeavors. If you're gonna' review stuff, you review it here, in the ANN forums, and not with a link that goes off-site. Heck, you can even copy and paste it, as long as you make it coherent enough to our posting standards and such. Good luck. -TK]
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I had to rate the Second Season as masterpiece.

1) the visual arts are outstanding, a dream for animators;
2) the fantasy of authors who came up with monsters and designs is limitless;
3) the music and sound is an art, too.

This project unites themes, music, animation and style from 1970s to contemporary. Truly amazing project.

That said, I did not like it too much as I am fan of continuous stories, not episodic projects. (But, how much I like or do not like projects is irrelevant to the ratings I give to them.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 24 of 24