• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Streams Buddy Complex Conclusion Specials

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Really liking Funimation these days and how they seem to be trying to help under appreciated fun little anime get at least some more exposure. Were it not for them Space Dandy likely never would have seen the light of day period either.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Horrible news! Crying or Very sad

I have not waited for this so much. I hoped this Buddy mediocrity has ended for good. Near its end, I rather wanted it would never exist in the first place.

Funimation would better stream something better than that.
Dfens

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:42 pm Reply with quote
It was in their best interest since they licensed the show for DVD and Blu Ray so if their is a two episode special to end the series then why wouldn't they?

Also I liked the series even though it was not the greatest and it didn't do well in Japan.

I'll probably buy it when it comes out.

MaxSouth to say just because you didn't like it that it should never had been made in the first place is close minded. I'm sure you like a show that I don't particularly like but I won't say well it was horrible so no one should watch it.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm confused... I thought there was suppose to be a second season. Was it always suppose to be two OVAs?
JDogindy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:

I have not waited for this so much. I hoped this Buddy mediocrity has ended for good. Near its end, I rather wanted it would never exist in the first place.

Oh, thank God! I thought I was the only one who dreaded this abomination. And Part Two's on my birthday!

What a crappy gift.

And I know there are people who liked the show, and that's cool, but I thought it was garbage.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:29 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
I'm confused... I thought there was suppose to be a second season. Was it always suppose to be two OVAs?

They never really announced a second season. My guess is that it was going to be a split-cours series, but the show did so poorly that the production committee decided to cut their losses by compressing what was supposed to be the second season to a two-part special.
hpulley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Yes, the second season was truncated due to low sales.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
it's nice to see funi is streaming this although chances are I won't get a chance to watch it due to work, it's not the best mecha anime I've seen but the characters were what hooked me in, although I'm not surprised to see two post voicing their disliking of the anime mecha animes rarely ever get any love or respect
JDogindy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:20 pm Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:
it's nice to see funi is streaming this although chances are I won't get a chance to watch it due to work, it's not the best mecha anime I've seen but the characters were what hooked me in, although I'm not surprised to see two post voicing their disliking of the anime mecha animes rarely ever get any love or respect

You have to realize that mecha anime is about the only kind I'm willing to watch without effort.

But the crop from Sunrise ever since the first seasons of Gundam 00 and Code Geass have ranged from mediocre to abysmal, IMO. The only mecha series I've liked in that time frame made by them was Build Fighters, and that's not everybody's cup of tea.

It's funny that the group had such big plans for this series (mobile game, CCG, and other stuff), and the whole thing was a huge dud. If they hadn't been so damn serious and hadn't required so much emphasis on mecha fights that could've developed the characters, this would've been a fun, quirky series, and some of you view it as such. But, to me, it was agonizing and I only stuck around because of due diligence... and because I hate myself.

But, like both old and young Bizon tomorrow, this series will be in its rightful state: done and dusted.
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
hpulley wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:

Did not know that...

I wonder if this was part of the original license or a new one....
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote
JDogindy wrote:

It's funny that the group had such big plans for this series (mobile game, CCG, and other stuff), and the whole thing was a huge dud.

iirc, the mobile game did fairly well for a while. I don't recall there being a CCG though, unless you're referring to Crusade, which isn't really a decent comparison as Sunrise Crusade gets mostly everything they work on put into the game. They've got the Braves in there and the last few of those didn't really do well.

hpulley wrote:

Citation Needed. I don't recall there ever being plans for a second season to begin with. I think people automatically assumed that continuation meant second season.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:59 pm Reply with quote
JDogindy wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:

Oh, thank God! I thought I was the only one who dreaded this abomination. And Part Two's on my birthday!

What a crappy gift.

And I know there are people who liked the show, and that's cool, but I thought it was garbage.

Those are some awesome first world problems you've got there pal

MagusGuardian wrote:

So true, for whatever reasons mecha anime just means people bitching. Even Gen Urobuchi wasn't quite enough to quite stem the bitching over mecha anime and people love to praise anything that guy touches.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:05 pm Reply with quote
Its too bad it was truncated, they could have done more with the story.

However, Otaku dictate what makes thing fly, not outsiders who get their scraps. Shame, they should have wrapped up the two end pieces into two additional episodes, which is what they are to the 1st season.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
Its too bad it was truncated, they could have done more with the story.

However, Otaku dictate what makes thing fly, not outsiders who get their scraps. Shame, they should have wrapped up the two end pieces into two additional episodes, which is what they are to the 1st season.

yeah, I was looking forward to a second season, so it's a shame if that's what happened, though I'm glad they were able to fund some sort of conclusion.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
MaxSouth to say just because you didn't like it that it should never had been made in the first place is close minded. I'm sure you like a show that I don't particularly like but I won't say well it was horrible so no one should watch it.

I was writing my message above partly with tongue-in-cheek, mimicking/reflecing/mirroring similarly written positive-vibe, excited comments -- though upside-down. You know all those one-liners like "great news! I have waited for it so much!" and the like. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1