• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) irregular at magic high school (TV).

Goto page Previous  

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:50 pm Reply with quote
I liked it. I got bored when there was nothing but lengthy sessions of exposition, but overall, I think its a decent show. for me, the fights were best parts of the show, especially this final arc. Gina pretty much summarized most of my thought or show, so I don't really have anything to add. Since it's selling well, I'm expecting a second season at some point, and I'll watch it.

So, would it be safe to assume that the plot kicks in to high gear and more events like this final arc happen, like maybe a war?
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
So, would it be safe to assume that the plot kicks in to high gear and more events like this final arc happen, like maybe a war?

spoiler[Nothing big like Yokohama. At least, not so far. Next arc will be a flashback arc to 3 years ago when Tatsuya first got involved with the military. The arc after that has a considerably more supernatural bent to it, the one after that is new student orientation, and after that is NSC again.]
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
getchman wrote:

spoiler[Nothing big like Yokohama. At least, not so far. Next arc will be a flashback arc to 3 years ago when Tatsuya first got involved with the military. The arc after that has a considerably more supernatural bent to it, the one after that is new student orientation, and after that is NSC again.]

if that's all the flashback that you were talked. Then this is not the main flashback, the main flashback normally involved alot more secrets(like the Yotsuba family) and alot more about the main character.

how Tatsuyaspoiler[ first got involved with the military] is not important at all.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
if that's all the flashback that you were talked. Then this is not the main flashback, the main flashback normally involved alot more secrets(like the Yotsuba family) and alot more about the main character.

how Tatsuyaspoiler[ first got involved with the military] is not important at all.

Well, a lot more than just that happens. I suppose the bulk of the arc is dedicated more to Miyuki spoiler[and her feelings. She actually had a pretty low opinion of Tatsuya at first.]

There is a separate one chapter story in that novel that is Maya's backstory too.
Cam0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
So the possible 2nd season will probably start with the flashback arc? I wonder if they'll do the holiday arc with the student council presidential election thingy as an OVA or something. I found it to be a bit confusing that suddenly the sweet Mayumi was no longer the president.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I looked at the next arc's light novel illustrations. Lol some of these look like OreImo promotion pictures.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:52 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think it was possible but Tatsuya has risen beyond the ranks of gary stu to Jesus Christ. He is the savior who has come to earth once again to destroy evil and protect his followers. All hail Tatsuya!

So wait a minute. If Miyuki knows Tatsuya feels so much pain when he has to heal someone WHY did she assault him forcing him to heal himself many episodes ago? Is it different when he heals himself? Because if it isn't well..............she's a dick.

Welp time for people to hate me.

When this started out I must admit I found Tatsuya's character refreshing. He wasn't the most original thing in the world but seeing a guy not bat an eye at the sight of other girls teasing him as well as being able to take out everyone in sight was fun. However as the series went on...........it just got so boring. I never felt like he cared what people thought about him so the suffering i was supposed to be feeling from him was never really there. He only got frustrated when Miyuki was involved which was expected anyways. Really there just wasn't anything to him imo. There was almost no point to the villains besides showing how strong Tatsuya is. Every single time they show they get their asses handed to them on a silver plater. They never stand a chance. Which almost defeats the purpose of having villains in the first freaking place right? Their motivations are very simplistic which in many ways makes them more realistic but regardless there was nothing all that interesting about them especially when they hardly present a threat to the heroes since Tatsuya just comes in and saves the day anyway. Even if that isn't really the point of the show it is a crutch to have the bad guys so pointlessly weak in comparison to the protagonist because it merely makes them plot devices NOT characters at that point.

Miyuki..............ugh. I don't really want to even talk about her but I suppose I should. Really she annoyed me for the majority of the series because while she is independently strong the way she keeps saying "Onii-san!" every single time she thinks people are wrongly treating him while he simply pats her on her had as if saying "HEEL BOY HEEL!" got annoying. I mean i get it. She's a caring sister. That's fine. But if only she didn't have a hard on for him as well I'd appreciate their relationship more. We were never told about their past together but honestly I don't think it would change the damage that has been done. I'm not saying she shouldn't stick up for him. I think that parts fine. But constantly getting worked up almost made her worse than some of the hot headed protagonists you see in shounen these days. Unless they say something really offensive there is no need to get angry about it every time. He's not 5. He's Tatsuya.

Basically every time Miyuki and Tatsuya are on screen i want to change the damn channel. I ended up finding them boring as well as irritating over time.

Everyone else........well let's just say that this final arc was probably the best in the series because it focused more on the relationships of the side characters than Tatsuya. If the show was just about these people I'd be all over it. Did you forget this series has romance in it? Because i did till this final arc. I'm not even going to count Miy x Tatsu since that's just teasing territory. Tatsuya being unable to respond to those who have feelings for him really makes the girls efforts feel pointless. They can try all they want but he'll never be interested. And that's a pity.

One thing I do commend the show for doing is delivering on a truly detailed world. i honestly don't think I've ever seen a show explain this much about itself before. I like intellectual stimulation as much as the next guy but sometimes it gets ridiculous. Maybe it's just me but I think it's inexcusable to take 10 minutes JUST to explain how you beat someone. This isn't a book. It's an anime. And spending so much time on sometimes rather pointless fights is just a waste of time in my opinion. It really takes away from the characterization that got mostly glossed over in this anime. For the most part everyone is rather bland. We see the bare surface of their personalities but most of the time we just see them reading scientific reports which isn't any fun. Before someone says "you just want mindless action!" that's not the case at all. I just don't think there is anything engaging about the show since they take so much time to explain things even the midst of action where there SHOULDN'T be time to explain stuff. Just my beef probably though.

I really think the show should have cut back on the techno babble to focus on the characters. Yes that would piss fans of the source material off but I'm pretty sure even with as much time that is spent on explanations already here they skipped a crap ton of info. It's hard to care about a fascinating world if there are no equally fascinating people in it eh?

If it had a second season I'd probably watch it just because I think it was improving over time but it was in many ways a let down for me.

Last edited by leatherhead333 on Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Tatsuya's not the kind of protagonist whose story is about him overcoming difficult challenges. It's about how he influences the people and world around him.

Btw, he's not Jesus. He's Mahesvara.

It's true that they didn't go much in depth regarding Miyuki's characterization. They touched upon it a little bit, particularly in her first lines of narration in episode 1 (there's also a telling scene in the first opening). They might be saving the bulk of it for the next arc, which focuses more on her. One thing should be clear though: her obssession is never portrayed as being particularly healthy.

And yeah, I think Tatsuya only reexperiences pain when he uses Regrowth on other people. He needs to "rewind" their info and "watches" it as a side effect. When it's his own pain he's already 'watched' it is and thus doesn't need to review.

Plus, she only knocked him out, she didn't blow his leg off.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Btw, he's not Jesus. He's Mahesvara.

And Doogie Howser MD. All rolled into one.

Awesome.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:40 pm Reply with quote
So my blu ray box set came in yesterday. The included booklet has some character profiles in it but the bulk of it is taken up by a Q&A with the author that tries to address various plotholes. I found that amusing.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:43 pm Reply with quote
A: Magic
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 am Reply with quote
So who's got their tickets already for the movie this weekend? You know I have! One of the great things about living in a border city is that if there are no showings over here I can just head over to Michigan and see it there!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
The nearest theater that is carrying the movie is three to four hours drive in heavy traffic. I'm going to have to pass on it. Sad
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:11 am Reply with quote
Bit of a ride, but definitely worth it! Even got a mini-poster out of it.

It's not going to win anyone new over but if you're already a fan it's a real treat. Protagonist encountering a mysterious girl is a pretty standard anime movie plot but this one doesn't play out how you'd normally expect. spoiler[Usually the girl (boy in Blue Exorcist's case) bonds with the main character before getting kidnapped again and they must be rescued. Here Kokoa is actually afraid of Tatsuya because he's so scary looking and bonds more with Erika and Honoka. Kokoa asks everyone to save her sisters from a research facility, she gets sent off to Tokyo with Mayumi, and Tatsuya goes to work. In that regard Kokoa actually has very little screen time despite being the subtitle character.]

Plenty of fanservice and I don't mean of the eye candy kind (though there is certainly some of that). Characters will pop in briefly just to say they showed up and do something in battle just for the participation trophy. It's pretty blatant but did result in a few cool scenes. A certain battle involving Leo and Erika is definitely the highlight of the film.

Lina's presence makes sense in the established plot so that works fine. But that brings me to the 2 major things non-novel readers will need to know going in. 1.) spoiler[who Lina is. She's an American strategic class magician who went undercover at 1st high to monitor Tatsuya as the potential culprit of the Scorched Halloween.] 2.) spoiler[Tatsuya's stated reason for helping Kokoa is because she's an artificial mage. Both him and Miyuki flashback to a woman they knew when they were younger. She was an artificial mage named Honami Sakurai who died protecting Tatsuya.]

There are a few minor things too, like spoiler[Leo getting a serious expression when artificially modified mages get brought up because he's descended from them] but the above 2 are the most basic things you need to know.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

I dunno, seems kinda shortsighted to just execute a deserter on the spot instead of capturing and interrogating him. There was clearly something off about the dude. Anyway, Lina's a cool girl.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 32 of 32