• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball Blackmailer Withdraws Appeal

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:37 am Reply with quote
Just 4.5 years? He should be getting A LOT more than that.
sakurablossom143

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:45 am Reply with quote
More than that... he's gotten away with so many things... I wouldn't even have let him have the right to appeal to begin with...
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:27 am Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:

Althought I would agree with you, but remember the justice system in Asia are not as harsh as USA or western countries. I had problem with the justice system in Japan and South Korea with being too light on crimes that are considered violent.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:20 am Reply with quote
At some point, it stops being punishment and turns into little more than bloodthirst. I'd say it's far better to err on the side of brevity; if the goal of gaol's to keep dangerous people off the streets, you have to let them out while they can still change.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:09 am Reply with quote
There are American people that did violent crimes but received shorter sentences. If this happened in America, he might have gotten a longer sentence.
Veniamin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:44 am Reply with quote
Amara Tenoh wrote:

Or, you can help him change. putting a criminal inside a lock room doesn't fix him. it just makes him more insane.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
Amara Tenoh wrote:

Althought I would agree with you, but remember the justice system in Asia are not as harsh as USA or western countries. I had problem with the justice system in Japan and South Korea with being too light on crimes that are considered violent.

When I went to Japan for the first time with a tour group, the tour guide mentioned (as we passed the Ministry of Justice building) that there is no life imprisonment in Japan. However, criminals who commit the worst crimes are sentenced to death.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Life without parole always seemed crueller than execution to me, but it gets handed out like candy here. And then there's the "death sentences" that are never carried out(*cough*California*cough*), which are worse still.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Death penalty in Japan:

• Executions are carried out by hanging in a death chamber within the detention centre. When a death order has been issued, the condemned prisoner is informed in the morning of his/her execution. The condemned is given a choice of the last meal. The prisoner's family and legal representatives are not informed until afterwards.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1