• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vertical licensing Poll

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote
Just filled out the survey. These were my requests:
Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun (Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun) by Izumi Tsubaki--I'm really, really enjoying the anime, and it's getting tons of positive buzz. I honestly think it'll sell
Cesare by Motoaki Hara and Fuyumi Souryo
Historie by Hitoshi Iwaaki--I've been enjoying Vinland Saga, so I requested two historical manga series, both by authors who have been published in the states before and whose series I've enjoyed in the past. Iwaaki wrote Parasyte, and Souryo wrote Mars and ES: Eternal Sabbath. They're both a bit of a stretchCesare because it started in 2003, and Historie because it's already at ten volumes (and is ongoing), but they both seem like quality titles in Vertical's wheelhouse.
traveling

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:29 pm Reply with quote
My first time participating in one of these:

Hoshi no Samidare
One Week Friends
Service x Servant
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:57 am Reply with quote
traveling wrote:
My first time participating in one of these:

Hoshi no Samidare
One Week Friends
Service x Servant

Hoshi no Samidare (aka Lucifer & the Biscuit Hammer) is already licensed by Seven Seas. It's set to come out in November, but you can already pre-order the first two volumes.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I'll be buying that right away, was asking for it ages ago, that magical girl apocalypse looks cool too. loads to be had which is part of the reason I've stopped making requests, nearly didn't fill in this survey and as it is i wasted a vote on kangoku gakuen just because the majority of the stuff i want gets shot down before my fingers even hit the keyboard.

I feel the stuff that is getting released is pretty good anyway.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Just filled out the survey. These were my requests:

Cesare by Motoaki Hara and Fuyumi Souryo
Historie by Hitoshi Iwaaki--

They're both a bit of a stretchCesare because it started in 2003, and Historie because it's already at ten volumes (and is ongoing), but they both seem like quality titles in Vertical's wheelhouse.

Yup both instantly disqualified. But thanks for participating.

Nozaki will work though. I think that got a few requests.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:17 am Reply with quote
"Instantly disqualified"? Ouch. Well, at least Nozaki got a few votes! Gives me some hope there.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
"Instantly disqualified"? Ouch. Well, at least Nozaki got a few votes! Gives me some hope there.

Well, yeah they are both invalid requests. Neither one fits the guidelines, so we simply get rid of them and focus on titles that do.

Good choices though. But I don't think either of those two are marketable for print. (Kinda questionable about digital also...Maybe Caesare would break even.)
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:15 pm Reply with quote
I was under the impression that 10 volumes itself would be okay, so I thought Historie would fit the bill. Was it disqualified because it's ongoing?
Do you think historical fiction as a genre is a tough sell, or just these particular titles? I got my hopes up because of Vinland Saga and Wolfsmund (haven't checked Wolfsmund out yet, but I'm planning to). There's also Kaoru Mori's A Bride's Story, which is less action oriented but just as historically detailed. I have no idea how any of those titles are selling, though.
Frekman

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
Hello.
Is there any chance for you to license the devilman manga.
I know I heard one of your guys in an interview where he says:
"Right now I am trying to get devilman to America"
I am just curious on how that is going?
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I was under the impression that 10 volumes itself would be okay, so I thought Historie would fit the bill. Was it disqualified because it's ongoing?

Yup. On-going.

Quote:
Do you think historical fiction as a genre is a tough sell, or just these particular titles? I got my hopes up because of Vinland Saga and Wolfsmund (haven't checked Wolfsmund out yet, but I'm planning to).

Yup. Both of those titles are flops. Wolfsmund is our worst-selling title since Twin Spica (and Twin Knights).

Bride Story does okay... But that price point makes a difference.
Vertical_Ed
Company Representative

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:14 am Reply with quote
Frekman wrote:
Hello.
Is there any chance for you to license the devilman manga.
I know I heard one of your guys in an interview where he says:
"Right now I am trying to get devilman to America"
I am just curious on how that is going?

Wow. How old is that podcast?

But, it's something to consider but nothing I am actively looking at right now.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:
Agent355 wrote:

Yup. On-going.

Quote:
Do you think historical fiction as a genre is a tough sell, or just these particular titles? I got my hopes up because of Vinland Saga and Wolfsmund (haven't checked Wolfsmund out yet, but I'm planning to).

Yup. Both of those titles are flops. Wolfsmund is our worst-selling title since Twin Spica (and Twin Knights).

does that say that people who buy those books are going to buy them regardless and dont mind paying a little more for a nice edition? is that a viable tactic to use for a series that may not sell well?

sad to hear vinland saga is considered a flop as its a brilliant manga and a very nicely done release.
Agent355

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Vertical_Ed wrote:

That's heartbreaking. Vinland Saga is a great manga, and I've heard good things about Wolfsmund. But Twin Spica was a great title that was sadly unappreciated, too.

Glad that Bride's Story's doing well, at least. That manga is a feast for the eyes!
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 5:19 am Reply with quote
twin spica was great, melancholy as all hell but still great and I appreciated being warned it was going to vanish off the market as I then made it a priority buy and grabbed it all. id love to be able to grab all the manga I want as it releases but there's just so much to be had its part of the reason I've largely stopped doing license requests, that and im finding that what gets released that I've not heard of often looks good to me.
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
Aww, shame to hear Wolfsmund isn't selling well (I buy it!), never knew Twin Knight was such a flop (to be fair, I mostly bought it because it had Tezuka's name on it, and I'll buy any manga with his name on it, even Lost World).

Is Wolfsmund complete in Japan at 6 volumes, or is that just how far you guys are going? Or is it still ongoing there?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 24