• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Slam Dunk Season 1 DVDs Listed Under Cinedigm

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Toei Animation released the beginning of the anime on DVD with English dubbing and subtitles in North America in 2005.

Because people want to remember those wretched DVDs. Rolling Eyes

Hopefully with Slam Dunk coming out this way, they won't take long with releasing the later volumes and maybe they can do the same with Toei's other botched shows, Air Master & Interlude.

I would love to know what's going on with Saint Seiya though since there hasn't been any news on a release for the second half of the series at all.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Welp, Slam Dunk fan that I am, I've heard bad things concerning Cinedigm/New Video's Saint Seiya release, which has yet to see a continuation (which is why I haven't bought it). Not very hopeful for Dunk.
mak123

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if i'll be able to see a remake of this anime one day Sad
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:06 pm Reply with quote
maki: There's a sequel coffee book-esque manga in Japan, but Viz has yet to publish it. Crying or Very sad
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:15 pm Reply with quote
doomydoomdoom wrote:
Welp, Slam Dunk fan that I am, I've heard bad things concerning Cinedigm/New Video's Saint Seiya release, which has yet to see a continuation (which is why I haven't bought it). Not very hopeful for Dunk.

Cinedigm's release of Saint Seiya was fine. Yes, the subs were rough for about the first disc or two, but they improved drastically as you went on, and those last 13 episodes that never saw release over here before had subs that were fine by me (outside of maybe a fine-tuning here & there). Also, Cinedigm fixed whatever issues the subs had for the Hulu & Amazon digital streams, so if they were to re-release Seiya in smaller sets, ala Digimon & Yu-Gi-Oh!, those new releases would have the fixed subs.

Regardless, I'm really looking forward to Slam Dunk from them. I never bought the Toei DVDs for obvious reasons, so Cinedigm's release will be a must-buy for me. Here's hoping they manage to include the unfinished dub as well, for posterity's sake (Seiya's uncut dub may have been held up by the old DiC license or ADV's original sub-license, hence why it wasn't in Cinedigm's release).
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Sorry to bump this, but...has anyone heard anything else on this since it was announced? As far as I know it's starting to look like it was either delayed or, worse, was never legit at all. :/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
It takes more than a couple of months before an announcement of a release gets an actual release date. have some patience. There's no reason to think this New Video Group/Cinedigm release will not eventually come out.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
KakulonSSJ4

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:00 am Reply with quote
Sigh... really disappointed by this. I was seriously hoping for a legitimate R1 release of a full version of the show, but we only get this... I won't be buying anymore.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1