• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Quote Game, Round 12

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raftina

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:04 am Reply with quote
dub:
You mustn't do it, Mama. You mustn't marry a man like him! I know his kind. He'll suck you dry and spit out the pits like an old chew.
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:40 am Reply with quote
Hint #1: spoiler[The witnesses to this scene include three thieves, a hacker, and the two daughters of the widower being described.]

Hint #2: spoiler[Despite her strong resemblance to his deceased wife, the eponymous female lead's adoptive father was not dating the addressee like everyone assumed.]

Hint #3: spoiler[In this second episode of the OVA, the male lead invited the addressee to help pick presents for his estranged biological daughter and his gynoid adoptive daughter.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:09 am Reply with quote
I'll guess spoiler[it's Kasha Maverick warning her mother Miranda about getting too close to Roy from Solty Rei.]
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:38 am Reply with quote
Sorry, but that's incorrect.

Hint #4: spoiler[These two DVD-only episodes take place well before the villain initiated his bid to take over the world that culminated in an ending of the type for which the studio is infamous.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wasn't far off, and I really should have placed this before. spoiler[Chinese Girl (I don't think she's actually named beyond that) to her mother in reference to Roy in one of the OVA episodes of Solty Rei as the whole business with the gang thinking that Roy is dating the mother comes to a head.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raftina

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
That is correct.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh well. I haven't seen the show in years so I wasn't going to remember something like that. At least I was in the right ballpark.

Though there is a tiny issue with hint 4. spoiler[Gainax is infamous for its endings, not Gonzo.]
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Actually, that particular studio was, at one point, infamous for its endings, too.

It will be several hours before I have time to dig up a a quote, so feel free to minigame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Was it? It's never reached my ears. It's mostly known for its questionable work quality and its financial problems.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Was it? It's never reached my ears.

Okay, a bit OT, but a way to pass the time till Key gets back. Just from the titles I've seen, Gonzo shows with controversial and/or bad endings include:

Hellsing - anime-original ending due to the show overtaking the manga

Peacemaker Kurogane - IIRC it had a read-the-manga ending that didn't resolve all that much in terms of wider plot although did offer some haphazard character development

Chrono Crusade - somewhat bold but highly controversial ending, probably one of the more infamous examples of a Gonzo ending

Gantz - ending didn't explain anything, viewers had to read the manga or else never understood anything about what the heck was going on

Trinity Blood - read-the-manga ending, entire anime felt like an introduction to main story

Romeo × Juliet - ending was disappointing compared to the show, and somehow even more annoying than Shakespeare's original

(And remember, those are just from the series I've seen.)

Now, to be fair, Gonzo did make quite a number of shows with good endings; Samurai 7, Gankutsuou, Basilisk and Speed Grapher are just four examples. In my opinion Gonzo's poor reputation for producing disappointing endings is somewhat undeserved, as many other anime studios are also big offenders in this area.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was just going to say that the problems you listed are pretty universal across studios. And it sure doesn't have a trope named after it.

Mini-game:

getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:07 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[cheer for me, ok guys!] spoiler[Kirito, SAOII]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Yes.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote
@dtm42,

Last Exile was Gonzo. That had a decent enough ending.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Agree with dtm on some of the titles he named but disagree on others.

Anyway, new dub quote:

"Freak! What did you say? That move comes from the single greatest hero in the universe. If he were standing here and attacked you with it, your sorry ass would be turned into dust. You understand what I'm sayin'? That's how awesome it is. You're alive because I'm just a poser who's imitating the greatest move of the greatest fighter ever. Of course I'm third-rate. I'm not worthy to use such a technique, which is why I have to fight with my own style."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 102