• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What did you just buy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:17 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa
You really don't have to hold this as a long series. You're Under Arrest is the perfect show for when you want a one to three episode break in what you are watching. Basically slice of life with traffic cops.

There was an earlier four episode OAV put out by Animeigo. I don't remember if it made the transition from VHS to DVD. Doesn't matter though since it makes up the first four episodes of the TV series. Also the last episode #52 doesn't belong to this series. There was a later series of mini episodes (issued by ADV on DVD) and #52 was the full length finish for that series. Confused yet? There is also a movie from ADV and two additional TV series from Sentai. This is the series that shows it is possible to get a second season years after the first.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:
Against my better judgement I've just ordered:

Clannad & Clannad After Story Complete Collections - DVD
Paranoia Agent Complete Collection - DVD
Summer Wars - Blu-ray
Birdy the Mighty Complete Series - DVD

Well I can speak for these at least being well worth purchasing.

Well, my old audio system fried itself the other day so I bought a new 5.1 surround sound system and some of the secondary components. That's sort of anime related since it'll be used for anime more than half the time. This new system will also allow me to add the laptop and my satelite box into the mix, unlike the old pile of junk.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
I just realized that I could and should have added Watamote! to my order from TRSI. I like that series a lot and I'm interested in hearing the dub with my voice waifu, Monica Rial. (Well, I'm in a polygamous relationship with her formidable pipes and those of Shelley Calene-Black and Jamie Marchi)

classicalzawa wrote:
^Glad you got Sea Prince and Ringing Bell! An interesting thing about Sea Prince in particular is that Koichi Sugiyama did the soundtrack for it. He would go on to do the Dragon Quest series soundtrack so if you've played any of those, you'll have DQ flashbacks constantly while watching Sea Prince (depending on how into DQ you are, I really love DQ, especially the music). It's a shame he didn't do more anime soundtracks, but yeah, they'd probably all sound like DQ anyway.
I think Ringing Bell is the more depressing of the two, Sea Prince is Romeo & Juliet so you kind of know where it's going already.

I had wanted to see Ringing Bell even before Discotek announced their release, but it was you suggestion nudged me into buying Sea Prince & Fire Child. I expect both to be conspicuously different from what we think of as 'anime' as well as excellent on their own.

classicalzawa wrote:
I also got in my 90s You're Under Arrest! set in that I bought from Wooga (she'll have more to sell soon, I assure you)

I've been interested in getting copies of that for a while. It looks fun and I'm intrigued by its storied English dub. I can remember when it was a new release. If I had but acted then; from the looks of things, it's a bit of a pain to gather now.

One-Eye wrote:
Well, my copy of Time of Eve from the kickstarter was waiting for me when I got home an hour ago. According to the packaging I was order #71 (they must have shipped it out in reverse order starting with order #1381, lol).

Man, I was #655. I guess that means I have to bow to you or something. It is a flipping sweet set. It represents what I really want out of a premium edition.

One-Eye wrote:
Surrender Artist wrote:

(Also: Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy, but that doesn't count here)

Ugh, just had a flashback to high school when I had to read The Mayor of Casterbridge.

I have The Mayor of Casterbridge sitting on my shelf. It was something of an impulse buy to play the fool's game of getting free shipping, although it was notionally on my list. I am interested in it, having as I do an affection for the feel of nineteenth century England, but I hardly ever read fiction that wasn't drawn by a Japanese person anymore.

Perhaps some day...

TsunaReborn! wrote:
...Paranoia Agent Complete Collection - DVD
Birdy the Mighty Complete Series - DVD

In these two cases, I can attest that your judgement is f**king fantastic. Paranoia Agent is a remarkable work, especially for a series, with very adroit, intelligent and insightful stories working through a strong theme. Birdy the Mighty: Decode is an extremely engaging and entertaining series with a terrific lead. The first half is very good and the second half rises even above that in intensity and investment. It was one of the true delights of my return to anime three years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Just seen that the second season to Silver Spoon is available for pre-order on Rightstuf and decided to order it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Kruszer that's good to hear, most of those I've wanted to pick up for a long time but just haven't got around to it so in glad my tastes have remained fairly similar over time.

SA again I'm happy to hear your praise. I watched a couple of episodes of Paranoia Agent back when I first started watching anime but I'm not sure why I didn't finish the series - I can only think it had something to do with the download site I was using... This is a good thing now that my appreciation has grow for the industry everything is done legally Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Tsuna, you are so lucky that you can get that UK Paranoia Agent release for so cheap! We with only R1 DVD players are just praying that Nozomi or Discotek, or someone else awesome will rescue it. I'm seriously considering importing it and getting a region free DVD player (unless VLC media player can play it regardless, anyone know?) because it's just that good a series.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:34 am Reply with quote
You should be able to change the region setting of your laptop's DVD player though there is a limited amount of times you can change it. You could leave that on region 2 or region 0 if possible; otherwise region free DVD players are pretty much as cheap as chips Very Happy
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa - VLC can play anything. However, the firmware of your DVD drive may say otherwise. My old crap Windows laptop can play R1 discs, however my MacBook can't, due to the DVD drive's firmware not allowing VLC to read them. You can't change it without hacking the firmware, which I think invalidates your warranty. It's basically the only reason I keep that laptop around.

Today I bought Nisekoi 5, Nana 15, and Nana 17.

EDIT: Also found the last 2 volumes of Happy Mania I was missing for a reasonable price on Amazon. Snapped em up as all the other listings were at least 3x RRP.
Sohma_Curse

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
A few preorders from the TRSI Sentai Sale:

Bodacious Space Pirates Blu-ray Complete Collection
Dog & Scissors Blu-ray Complete Collection
Fate/Stay Night Blu-ray Complete Collection
Little Busters! Refrain (Season 2) Blu-ray Complete Collection
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! DVD/Blu-ray Complete Collector's Ed.
Rozen Maiden: Zuruckspulen DVD
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Bought a few things recently

* Eccentric Family BR from Nisa
* Hinata nendo from Haikyuu
* Natsume Yuujinchou 2015 calendar (which is in addition to my Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun ones)
* Natsume Takashi renewal figure from Altair (and I do have the original one too).
* Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun mug
rheiders

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
* Eccentric Family BR from Nisa

Oh, I didn't know this was up for pre-order! Smile

I had to cancel my Mononoke pre-order due to not having an address for a while, so I ordered it today. One of my favorite shows and under twenty bucks, so I definitely didn't want to miss my chance!
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Just preordered The Eccentric Family and Patema Inverted.

Also bought a few video games: the limited edition packaging for FFX/X-2 HD remaster and a few more of the Ratchet and Clank games
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Going along with the Halloween theme, just bought High School of the Dead via Amazon.
Yuno_Shiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
A bit of an unusually expensive month on my end... and perhaps the most I've ordered in one time period:
Last Month I bought 2 blind box items:

A $5 one which yielded the 2nd season of Kaleido Star and a $1 one that was a dvd volume of Viewtiful Joe (the latter I eventually plan to sell of or give to my niece)

As far as this month goes:

$10 Blind Box Bargain Item 10.00

Kill la Kill DVD/Blu-ray 1 (Hyb) Limited Edition + 59.98

Kill la Kill DVD/Blu-ray 2 (Hyb) Limited Edition + 59.98

Kaleido Star SAVE Edition for Season 1 + 22.00

$25 Blind Box Bargain Item 25.00

$5 Blind Box Bargain Item 5.00

Totaling almost $182 total...

I also have preorders for Kill la kill up to volume 4 which will ship in December of 2014 and February of 2015 respectively.

Thus far seeing as I normally only buy one or two series sets in any given month (~$40 to $60) this counts as my biggest order bundle. The blind boxes are mostly to see what I get and I'll tailor any additional purchases this year kinda based on what those give. Not sure if I'll go that route as often again with the blind boxes but figured since it;'s my first time there'd be no harm in trying it out
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
I have a surplus to burn and decided to avail myself of the dying hours of the ADV sale at TRSI. This clears some things from my list.

Anime
Blue Seed (Complete series and OVA)
Mobile Police Patlabor TV series (Volumes 3 & 4)
Watamote (Complete series)

Blue Seed is from the list of titles that I saw a lot in the way-back-when, but never saw. This should satisfy a long-running, albeit mild, curiosity and satisfy my occasional cravings for the grit and imperfection of hand-drawn animation. It also seems pretty reputable, so it has better odds than some series of being satisfying on its own merits.

The Patlabor sets finish something that I started last year. I haven't watched them yet, but perhaps I will feel obliged to with the whole lot in my hands. This is another title that I've been hearing about for a long time. My only real exposure to the franchise has been the films, which I know to be quite different. I'm equivocating over the language to watch them in: I have a remarkable tolerance for bad English dubs, but I understand these to be particularly incompetent and I am very attached to the cast used by Manga video for the films.

I liked Watamote a lot when it aired. I sympathized deeply, if sometimes uncomfortably, with Tomoko and I thought that she was remarkably well realized character, especially for a comedy. It was one of the few times that I really looked forward to each new week's episode of a simulcast. I'm curious about the English dub, which I'm a little wary of, but hopeful about, especially given that Monica Rial, whom I adore, portrays Tomoko.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 1161 of 1399