• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animation Kuromi 2 with English Subtitles

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:07 am Reply with quote
$5 says it gets distro'd by fansubbers anyways.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:

I'll go further: I'll wager that at least one of the distro'ed versions will be the english subs included on the DVD, just with the logo of the group and the standard fansub disclaimer.. and then there are the dvd ripper groups that'll distro it as well.

after all, that's what happened with FLCL. that's also what happened with Kuromi 1.

and why bother distro'ing it at all? CPM has the rights to 1. sooner or later they'll pick up the rights to 2... unless they were silly and didn't get an option on it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Cookie wrote:
Tempest wrote:

I'll go further: I'll wager that at least one of the distro'ed versions will be the english subs included on the DVD, just with the logo of the group and the standard fansub disclaimer.. and then there are the dvd ripper groups that'll distro it as well.

after all, that's what happened with FLCL. that's also what happened with Kuromi 1.

and why bother distro'ing it at all? CPM has the rights to 1. sooner or later they'll pick up the rights to 2... unless they were silly and didn't get an option on it.
Does the word "greed" spark any idea's? This would just confirm my belief that your average "fansubber" is really a "pirate" in sheeps clothing. Wink
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Does the word "greed" spark any idea's? This would just confirm my belief that your average "fansubber" is really a "pirate" in sheeps clothing. :wink:

The issue is... it isn't the "average" fansubber that would do that. The "average" fansubber might re-translate the show and release it.

... no, what I was talking about was directly ripping the disc and claiming it as their own. Most fansubbers, even today, wouldn't do such a thing.

I would hope that most fansubbers DON'T distro it at all, but I'm not foolish enough to think that it won't happen. The groups who DO, of course, would certainly be labeling themselves as pirates, because the disc is R0 with English subs.

It's that narrow band of "fansubbers" to whom I was referring.

Ideally the "average" fansubber would either ignore the title, or else make a small commercial preview for it, without giving out the entire thing... That, of course, also falls in line with my belief that fansubbers shouldn't be subbing entire series, but instead only doing the first handful of episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1