• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yomiuri Reports Increase of Crime in Akihabara

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Ear cleaning shops? Really?
Jariten
Company Representative

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Yes, really! You pay to have someone... clean your ears.

Like this.
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:28 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

The most technology advanced country doesn't have Q-tips?

I wonder how many of the crimes are being pulled off by poor Otaku is desperate need of vol 6 of death note. Probably more then anything I wonder how many tourist are getting rob, that's information I need to know.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Deltakiral wrote:
I wonder how many of the crimes are being pulled off by poor Otaku is desperate need of vol 6 of death note.

1. DN is not an otaku-kei anime; it's more a "general" anime e.g. Dragonballs, Inuyasha, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach.

2. Most of the time, otaku are victims, not offenders.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Deltakiral"]
SakechanBD wrote:

The most technology advanced country doesn't have Q-tips? [quote]

Nah, it's more of an "affection-for-sale" thing...one thing that a loving wife will do for her husband is clean his ears in that fashion. And let's face it...even if nothing else is going on, wouldn;t any heterosexual guy pay a bit to have his head cradled in a pretty girl's lap? Very Happy

And I'm surprised that there wasn't already a crimewave in otaku-heavy areas, just from the fact that otaku would most likely be carrying around quite a bit of disposable income, making them a high-profile, low-risk target.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and ear cleaning shops

ICK!!!!!

Now I am all for cute girls in cute outfits doing all sorts of things to me. But that is not one of them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deltakiral

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
1. DN is not an otaku-kei anime; it's more a "general" anime e.g. Dragonballs, Inuyasha, One Piece, Naruto, and Bleach.

I figured that most of the time that they were the victims but I wonder if there are still crimes being committed by poor otaku. Because anime is more addicting then drugs, and probably more expensive.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Now I am all for cute girls in cute outfits doing all sorts of things to me. But that is not one of them.

Likewise I mean who doesn't want beautiful women all over them? But cleaning my ears, lets skip that and get to the good stuff.
hamtaroboy2006

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:03 pm Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
Deltakiral wrote:
I wonder how many of the crimes are being pulled off by poor Otaku is desperate need of vol 6 of death note.

Ah, you mean like moe and stuff?
Roy9076

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting. Desperation leads to it. -.-
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Lolicon Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, now it is unlikely that i'll ever visit the place i wanted to explore before i die.

Then again, i'm in L.A., home of the celebrities you see in films which is the birthplace of gangs.Don't let the Hollywood sign fool ya'll.

But in this case, don't let the cat eared maids in Akihabara fool you either. I never expected to hear this. It's bad enough that Tijuana Mexico, another favorite place of mine, is crooked, but Akihabara?
NegiCuttino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Ear Cleaning Shop, Foot Massage, Full Body Massage, So-Called Coffee Shops.

You can named it, they will have it.

When I was there a couple of weeks ago, I got a map of all the maid shops that was in Akiha and it was not like 80 shops, it was about 110 shops and that doesnt count the shops that isnt on that map(3/4 of them are the ones that have all the scams going), but dormcat is right about otaku is the victim not the offenders, most of the time. They can shell out on a average of 34,000 to 40,000 Yen (almost 340.00 to 400.00 dollars in USD) for those type of services. That is way too much money for a stupid ear cleaning. Plus the girls(or guys) that does the service, gets about a 5% - 10% cut of the profit that they get per each customer that they do.

Sorry about that, dormcat

Last edited by NegiCuttino on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quote
The Lolicon Artist wrote:
Hmm, now it is unlikely that i'll ever visit the place i wanted to explore before i die.

Then again, i'm in L.A., home of the celebrities you see in films which is the birthplace of gangs.Don't let the Hollywood sign fool ya'll.

I would take a walk through Akiba over South L.A. any day of the week. Having experienced both, I can tell you the former is a far safer bet if you're afraid of getting mugged or something. Honestly though, something like this shouldn't get in your way of going. I always have a hell of a lot of fun when I go there. I went there about a year ago. Had no problems with anybody at all. If you really want to go, you should go.

The Lolicon Artist wrote:
It's bad enough that Tijuana Mexico, another favorite place of mine, is crooked, but Akihabara?

Uh, wow... The crime rate may have increased, but I can tell you Akiba is nothing like Tijuana. They are like... polar opposites...
Brand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:19 pm Reply with quote
What is it with the Japanese and the ear cleaning anyway? I've seen it in a few anime at this point now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
NegiCuttino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:47 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
What is it with the Japanese and the ear cleaning anyway? I've seen it in a few anime at this point now.

That is the question I like to know myself, maybe it supposed to make you feel better, by sticking a stick in your ear and while you lay your head on a woman lap. Yeah, good stuff Confused
v1cious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:24 pm Reply with quote
when you sell yourself as pretty much geek heaven, isn't it expected that the criminal element is gonna move in? i wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is happening in Ikebukuro.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2