• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Lists 13 "Harmful" Manga Depicting Female Minors

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As in the similar but unrelated investigation in Osaka, the concern lies in publication covers that do not indicate the presence of the explicit material within.

Next, Tokyo/Kanagawa and Fukuoka.

Also I was just wondering if a certain manga tittle that everyone loves to hate to talk about around here was serialized in a newstand type Mag.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:37 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like they're on a roll for crackdown.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:39 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, blame those reaactionary right-wing Christofacists.
The Seventh Son

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:47 pm Reply with quote
one word: witchhunt
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:

Are you serious? Christians make up about 0.7% of Japan's population. That's less than a million out of over 100 million people. Also, why don't we ease up on the loaded language. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with an opinion, but let's do it respectfully and intelligently.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Don't you mean "those reactionary, right-wing Shintobuddhofascists?" Razz

Couldn't it be that desiring to protect children isn't limited to Christians?
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:58 pm Reply with quote
It appears sarcasm is a dying artform.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote
It appears sarcasm is a dying artform.

Nah, it's just hard to do on the Web, 'cos of the lack of verbal nuance. Sorry if I took your comments for an earnest comment.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:43 pm Reply with quote
As with all artforms, you must be good at it for people to recognize what it is. Compounded as mentioned, by non-verbal communication, and the general hatred spewed forth on these forums everyday, and people are going to take you seriously.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Inuyasha8908

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:23 pm Reply with quote
So, does anyone here actually know the titles of the "13" manga? Also tell the right wing people to stfu. I am tired of it.
pat_payne

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Inuyasha8908 wrote:
So, does anyone here actually know the titles of the "13" manga?

Not yet, but I'm sure that some intrepid Bothans will soon give their lives to get us the information. Or the plans to some giant, moon-shaped space station that nobody asked for. Either way, it's all good.

Quote:
Also tell the right wing people to stfu. I am tired of it.

I am tired of everyone who dares express that they don't like loli being tarred as "right-wing" like they're handmaidens of Jerry Falwell and Karl Rove. That's getting right up there with the intellectually-lazy practice of calling everyone one disagrees with a Nazi. So try coming up with someting a bit more constructive and less stereotypical.
mechadragoon14

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Loli is awesome for the sole fact it is hillarious to make jokes about. Loli is a widely used term in my school. We all need some loli, even if it is a grey area and is really sick.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:25 pm Reply with quote
pat_payne wrote:
I am tired of everyone who dares express that they don't like loli being tarred as "right-wing" like they're handmaidens of Jerry Falwell and Karl Rove.

Or being tarred as "right-wing" at all. Just because someone doesn't like lolicon doesn't make them "conservative" by default, or vice-versa. People are allowed to have opinions that aren't tied to their political views.
EngrishFan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
pat_payne wrote:
I am tired of everyone who dares express that they don't like loli being tarred as "right-wing" like they're handmaidens of Jerry Falwell and Karl Rove.

Or being tarred as "right-wing" at all. Just because someone doesn't like lolicon doesn't make them "conservative" by default, or vice-versa. People are allowed to have opinions that aren't tied to their political views.

Agreed. Hell, even as a Canadian liberal (read as "more liberal than American liberals") I find many instances of lolicon to be pretty offensive, but that subject's veering off topic.

Personally, in addition to the list of the 13 manga mentioned, I'd also like to see what justification and evidence against each title exists, but knowing how governments work that's not gonna happen. If these titles really are that evocative then great, all's well, but for all we know this could just be another "Hot Coffee" incident. (Yeah, I know, easily viewable passages versus hidden content.)
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Pepperidge wrote:
pat_payne wrote:

Thank you. I am as liberal as they come. My dislike of lolicon material has absolutely nothing to do with "censorship" or "freedom of speech" or whatever other obtuse, specious phrases people sling around whenever someone expresses that they disapprove of lolicon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6