• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:38 am Reply with quote

Yona of the Dawn (TV)

Genres: adventure, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: politics

Based off of this manga of the same name.

Plot Summary: King Il of Kouka, a land said in legends to have been founded by four dragons, has only one remaining heir, a daughter named Yona. She lives a happy life in the palace with her cousin Soo-won, who she loves in spite of her father's opposition to them marrying. Her life is turned upside down when Soo-won murders her father and steals the throne. Yona, with her childhood friend and bodyguard Hak, must retreat to gather allies and reclaim her place as ruler of the kingdom.

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sb5QStlHuHQ
----------------------------------

Started reading the manga a few weeks ago and I am surprisingly enjoying it. I was also surprised this got an anime adaptation but based on studio Pierrot, I’m going to assume it’ll be a 1-cour with some anime original stuff.

This is actually a romance/shoujo with fantasy series with Yona as the main character whose life changes one day forever. The PV is decent so far although I’m hoping they adapt the action scenes as well. The story is pretty straightforward so it should be interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Overall, a solid episode. I like how they were able to establish the premise so far although there are still a lot of questions to be answered soon. Given that it's a 2 cour, there should be plenty of time with development in that.

spoiler[I hope Yona changes a bit soon though as so far, she is like a kid. Well, after witnessing the sight of death, I predict she will soon.] Technical qualities are also good and I think the ED song was great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Mm, it's okay. I want to know wtf is going on so I'll continue.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote
This anime has an entertaining side too.
spoiler[Princess is a brat, but wants be taken seriously do badly..]
I like the male characters.
spoiler[Flashback to childhood was so sweet ^^
First time in her life she didn't get what she wanted.
The betrayal part was interesting.]

Might give it one more episode.
xyz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed the first ep very much. I couldn't help thinking that it's Tamahome vs. Hotohori again but this time the gal likes Hotohori. :lol:
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Well, the "bad guy" sure is spoiler[pretty]...other than that, this episode more or less seemed to "spoil" everything i'm expecting to happen in this show: spoiler[our Princess will go on a journey where she gets some character development (she'll cut off her hair!!!), get stronger (but not too strong, so that Mr. Knight will still have to save her from time to time...) and somehow acquire an adoring harem along the line.]

But even though i wasn't exactly blown away, i didn't outright hate the show either and it might actually surprise me, who knows? So i guess i'll give it a couple of more episodes.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm usually not into shoujo but I'm digging this. Awesome first episode. I sort of liked how Yona was just like what you'd expect a spoiled teenage princess to be. And from the opening it seems that this is going to be a sausage fest. I don't particulary mind that, but we'll see.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

I found the music at the beginning to be a bitt too disconnected to what was happening, it was pretty but not quite right. I enjoy the female lead, it is way too common for this shows for the female lead to not have much personality, and she does at least have some and should grow.

It was so long since she had seen Soo-Won. I totally spoiler[knew there was something not quire right with him so I was not surprised he was an assassin]. Actually rather happy that the show decided to spoiler[do reveal of the at first perfect guy to being actually rather dark]. From what Is saw so far of Hak was okay.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:15 am Reply with quote
Wow, that Soo-Won chick is a real dick! What's her problem? Anyway, so far so good, for me. General Hak - pretty good name for a guy who uses a slicing weapon. I wonder when Red will finally realize how dreamy his is?
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:02 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

I found the music at the beginning to be a bitt too disconnected to what was happening, it was pretty but not quite right. I enjoy the female lead, it is way too common for this shows for the female lead to not have much personality, and she does at least have some and should grow.

See, that's the difference when you base an anime on a manga INSTEAD of a dating sim. For the sim, the heroine's nothing but a self-insert but for manga, she's actually a person.

Games Amnesia, Diabolick Lovers, Uta-Prince's heroines: 2D cut-outs

Manga Host Club, Kamisama Kiss, Fruits Basket, Akatsuki's heroines: people.

Because for manga, the shoujo readers need to identify with the heroine and her plights. For games, they don't have to identify with her; they just have to pretend to be her so they can get hit on (or raped) by the pretty guys. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
I couldn't help thinking that it's Tamahome vs. Hotohori again but this time the gal likes Hotohori. Laughing

"Tama" will still win though. Laughing But thank god Yona's not a total loser like Miaka or I would have dropped this like a stone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:15 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 1

See, that's the difference when you base an anime on a manga INSTEAD of a dating sim. For the sim, the heroine's nothing but a self-insert but for manga, she's actually a person.

Games Amnesia, Diabolick Lovers, Uta-Prince's heroines: 2D cut-outs

Manga Host Club, Kamisama Kiss, Fruits Basket, Akatsuki's heroines: people.

Because for manga, the shoujo readers need to identify with the heroine and her plights. For games, they don't have to identify with her; they just have to pretend to be her so they can get hit on (or raped) by the pretty guys. Rolling Eyes

I guess that is much truer than I was thinking, maybe I expected this to be a LN adaption. I like Haruhi and Nanami, and I probably should watch Fruits Basket some time, I did buy the series for my sister once as a birthday present so I might ask to borrow it.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I probably should watch Fruits Basket some time, I did buy the series for my sister once as a birthday present so I might ask to borrow it.

I hate to be that wangsty manga fan, but in this case I have to say it: the heroine of Fruits Basket has much more complex character development in the manga than in the anime. (I mean, it's not bad in the anime, but...Well, a side effect of only covering a little over a quarter of the story.)
xyz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:

"Tama" will still win though. :lol: But thank god Yona's not a total loser like Miaka or I would have dropped this like a stone.

One can only hope. I never liked Tamahome but I'm kind of fond of Hak so far. This is no Twelve Kingdoms but it has potential.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
xyz wrote:
Chiibi wrote:

"Tama" will still win though. Laughing But thank god Yona's not a total loser like Miaka or I would have dropped this like a stone.

One can only hope. I never liked Tamahome

I liked him a lot, initially; he was my first hard anime crush...but then he lost his personality. Sad

Quote:
I hate to be that wangsty manga fan, but in this case I have to say it: the heroine of Fruits Basket has much more complex character development in the manga than in the anime.

Nah, you're not wangsting. That is certainly true. They made Tooru more helpless in the anime and I hated that....but even Anime!Tooru is still miles better than those game heroines.....
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Great episode. It established the fact that at the present situation, spoiler[Soo-Yon is unforgivable for what he's done. I think Hak realizes it too but it's taking Yona a bit more to sink in. Based on the end scene, she made her resolve but I think the show will also takes step to develop that (judging on the PV anyways).]

Anyways yeah, poor Yona....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 30