• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: THR: SoftBank Acquires DramaFever

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:10 pm Reply with quote
I find this a little surprising, but I don't know if this will go through. If Softbank does acquire DF, will this make it easier for DF to get more J-dramas on that site??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I find this a little surprising, but I don't know if this will go through. If Softbank does acquire DF, will this make it easier for DF to get more J-dramas on that site??

yeah, because softbank is powerful and they sponsor alot of jdrama. If you watch jdrama, you will notice Softbank is anywhere.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:22 pm Reply with quote
While I don't mind seeing more J-Drama's on DF, they just aren't popular as Korean Dramas are, so I'm not too sure if they'll be adding more. Would be interesting to see if the sub Japanese variety shows, there's quite a few Korean variety shows on DF.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:52 am Reply with quote
Softbank has been on an international buying spree!
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:51 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

They will if they pump money into the company for them to go on an acquiring spree.
Softbank's name itself or its sponsorship of shows on Japanese TV isn't going to let them put it on DF by itself.

The sponsors on TV often have invested some portion of the show's budget, but that doesn't mean they own or control any of the overseas rights. So far I don't know of Softbank owning or controlling overseas rights to any drama or anime. But with this purchase there is a slight chance that will change in the future and they will start investing not just for domestic ad time but also for overseas streaming rights.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:52 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

yeah, because softbank is powerful and they sponsor alot of jdrama. If you watch jdrama, you will notice Softbank is anywhere.

I didn't know Softbank sponsor J-dramas (I wasn't aware of this, but thanks for informing me). So maybe Softbank can help DF acquire more J-dramas (maybe the ones that even have Johnny's idols in there). Maybe I'll support Softbank acquisition of Dramafever.

Just a little interesting fact for people that don't know about Softbank: The founder and CEO of Softbank, Masayoshi Son, he is a Korean-Japanese (Son's real name is 손정의 Son Jeong-ui). Could this be one of the reason why Softbank wants to get Dramafever??

ZODDGUTS wrote:
While I don't mind seeing more J-Drama's on DF, they just aren't popular as Korean Dramas are, so I'm not too sure if they'll be adding more.

Are you kidding me??? After K-dramas got popular, Taiwan and Hong Kong (particularly TVB) cashed in on the drama fad. I know one Taiwanese dramas (under the Spanish title: Chicas de Oficina) that got super popular in Latin America thanks to K-dramas popularity in that area. If Taiwanese and Hong Kong dramas can pick up the same popularity, then I believe J-dramas can replicate this.

ZODDGUTS wrote:
Would be interesting to see if the sub Japanese variety shows, there's quite a few Korean variety shows on DF.

Not only Dramafever, but on KBS World's Youtube page, there are a lot of variety shows you can watch without restrictions (ie: Hello Counselor, Happy Together, The King of food, and others on there and best of all no restrictions and all with English subtitles). That means I can watch all these Korean variety shows from KBS without any problem and no language barrier (if you are an English speakers), and that is something that you wouldn't see any Japanese entertainment do. KBS World along with Arirang TV and Dramafever are the main players of spreading K-pop and popular culture of South Korea to the world. It's no wonder why South Korea played the marketing game better then Japan, I have read and found out from several sources acknowledging South Korea to have "out-cool" Japan:

Newsweek-Korean Cool Is The Ultimate National Marketing Ploy

Financial post-How Korea became the world’s coolest brand

Korea is Asia’s foremost trendsetter: The Economist (other source: Unitedkpop)

I too would like to see J-Variety shows on DF too, I believe it can get as popular as their Korean counterpart. Hopefully we'll see it. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:07 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:

The sponsors on TV often have invested some portion of the show's budget, but that doesn't mean they own or control any of the overseas rights. So far I don't know of Softbank owning or controlling overseas rights to any drama or anime. But with this purchase there is a slight chance that will change in the future and they will start investing not just for domestic ad time but also for overseas streaming rights.

No, but Softbank can probably use their influence and convince the producers and the companies that make these dramas to export them and put them on Dramafever, and I hope Softbank can probably use K-drama popularity and the effect it caused for Taiwanese dramas and Hong Kong dramas (I mean I mentioned Taiwanese dramas are picking up massive level of popularity after K-dramas got popular).
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:31 am Reply with quote
Sometimes I watch some korean dramas on the site and that's why this notice get my sorprise.
mdo7

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Minimimiau wrote:
Sometimes I watch some korean dramas on the site and that's why this notice get my surprise.

Well glad to see I'm not alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1