• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gundam Reconguista in G (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow this was weird.

The animation was all over the place, most of the scene transition were terrible, the way the camera move around was just weird. I get that there trying to be retro, but there's some stuff that are just fine disappearing. The flurry of punch at the end of epi 2 was just so out of place. And the ed looked like the cheapest one I've ever seen.

I generally like how the show looked except for most character (including the main character sadly) and the mech (which I thought was all the more obvious when they showed older model that looked way better). Most of the mech feel like random part strap together and just looked cheap, especially that weird things that just pop over the visor of the mech in ep 1.

The character… sigh, why are the only two choice for main character in mech anime obnoxious coward emo or obnoxious amazing in everything. The female character were the weirdest though, all the girl being cheerleader and really waiting to cheer the guy was annoying, then we have mysterious girl, because of course. Finally there was the female pirate which was just way too cooperative, and weird how the army let her move around as she pleased.

The army in general just felt way too easy going (and completely incompetent, why are there mech severely out class by pirate mech?). The way they shared there cabin with civilian was… again weird.

And I still don't get what was happening. spoiler[So they capture the girl while she was falling into the atmosphere, did they capture the mech? Doesn't seems like it since it just re-appear, but why would they let it go? They then take the girl on the shuttle to go into space (for some reason) but then get ambushed by pirate, they take out the gundam (was it the same as the one at the beginning?), but what happened to the other shuttle that was boarded by pirate, it's a shuttle so it's not like they can take it with them wherever they want. Then the episode end and next one start and there back on earth… why were they even on the shuttle then? I'd say it was poorly explain, but it feel more like it was never thought out]

I appreciate that they want to reconnect with older style/idea, but they really didn't import the right stuff (maybe I should just be happy they didn't make the main character into a Kamille). I'll keep watching for a bit, but I'm not impress.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
I disagree that anything in the show itself felt cheap (though I'm with you on the openings/endings), and I had a much more positive reaction to the characters than you did. But as for some other stuff...

meiam wrote:
Finally there was the female pirate which was just way too cooperative, and weird how the army let her move around as she pleased.

She wasn't particularly cooperative; she was actively belligerent towards her captors. Nor did the army let her move around as she pleased - remember, she was locked up in a tower.

meiam wrote:
Most of the mech feel like random part strap together and just looked cheap, especially that weird things that just pop over the visor of the mech in ep 1.

The army in general just felt way too easy going (and completely incompetent, why are there mech severely out class by pirate mech?). The way they shared there cabin with civilian was… again weird.

Regarding the mechs, there is a clear tech gap, but keep in mind that this is a) well over a thousand years after any previous Gundam entry, and b) during a time when the tech from that era has a taboo against it (see: the comment Bellri makes about the use of a beam saber in the first episode), at least in the Capital part of the world. If the pirates are developing technology separately and don't follow that taboo, it makes sense that their machines might outclass those of an Earth nation.

Regarding the cabin, it is a little odd that there were children aboard, but it must have been a special case, because the cheerleaders clearly weren't allowed (or their presence was at least frowned upon) and special tickets that were strictly examined by the military were required.

meiam wrote:
And I still don't get what was happening. spoiler[So they capture the girl while she was falling into the atmosphere, did they capture the mech? Doesn't seems like it since it just re-appear, but why would they let it go? They then take the girl on the shuttle to go into space (for some reason) but then get ambushed by pirate, they take out the gundam (was it the same as the one at the beginning?), but what happened to the other shuttle that was boarded by pirate, it's a shuttle so it's not like they can take it with them wherever they want. Then the episode end and next one start and there back on earth… why were they even on the shuttle then? I'd say it was poorly explain, but it feel more like it was never thought out]

I'm sorry, but...did you not watch this with subs? This is all explained completely.

spoiler[The Gundam at the beginning (yes, it's the same one as later, they say this outright at least twice) was being chased by both the Capital Forces and the pirate mechs. The girl ejects, and isn't pursued by the pirates - so obviously she's either not one of them or of no concern - but the Gundam is. There's a clear shot of the mechs that are later clearly identified as pirate mechs following the Gundam instead of the girl, which is why they have it to attack the shuttles with. It's mentioned that the pirates are after photon batteries - that's what they're stealing from the shuttles - and the Gundam attacked the ascending one so that the forces on it didn't interfere with the capture operation. And the next episode is on Earth because...they went back? I'm not even sure why that's a point of confusion.]
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
Krotchstak wrote:

She wasn't particularly cooperative; she was actively belligerent towards her captors. Nor did the army let her move around as she pleased - remember, she was locked up in a tower.

When spoiler[they "rescued her" in the tower (captor rescuing her from her savior) she just went along with them, even border the walker things without any complain. She didn't even try to contact the pirate that were there for her. On the ship she just told them her name and didn't even bother trying to escape even once her mech wasn't in any danger anymore.]

Krotchstak wrote:

Regarding the mechs, there is a clear tech gap, but keep in mind that this is a) well over a thousand years after any previous Gundam entry, and b) during a time when the tech from that era has a taboo against it (see: the comment Bellri makes about the use of a beam saber in the first episode), at least in the Capital part of the world. If the pirates are developing technology separately and don't follow that taboo, it makes sense that their machines might outclass those of an Earth nation.

Isn't ridiculous in itself that the world nation would stop developing there technology and let pirate keep getting ahead?

Krotchstak wrote:

I'm sorry, but...did you not watch this with subs? This is all explained completely.

spoiler[The Gundam at the beginning (yes, it's the same one as later, they say this outright at least twice) was being chased by both the Capital Forces and the pirate mechs. The girl ejects, and isn't pursued by the pirates - so obviously she's either not one of them or of no concern - but the Gundam is. There's a clear shot of the mechs that are later clearly identified as pirate mechs following the Gundam instead of the girl, which is why they have it to attack the shuttles with. It's mentioned that the pirates are after photon batteries - that's what they're stealing from the shuttles - and the Gundam attacked the ascending one so that the forces on it didn't interfere with the capture operation. And the next episode is on Earth because...they went back? I'm not even sure why that's a point of confusion.]

spoiler[Okay, why did they stop pursuing the gundam at the beginning, never even mentioned. If only long haired pirate girl can pilot the gundam, why didn't she notice that the girl who ejected was on the ship? And if they went back to earth… why were they going to space in the first place? With the mysterious girl? There in a space elevator, not exactly something you can just turn around whenever you feel like it, what about all the other passenger?]
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:56 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
When they "rescued her" in the tower (captor rescuing her from her savior) she just went along with them, even border the walker things without any complain. She didn't even try to contact the pirate that were there for her. On the ship she just told them her name and didn't even bother trying to escape even once her mech wasn't in any danger anymore.

They weren't rescuing her - they were relocating her, presumably for the exact reason that they didn't want her rescued. And maybe she has a sense of self-preservation; there was, after all, no means of escape for her, both inside the shuttle and on Earth. How would she have escaped when there are armed guards holding her mech? What was she going to do on Earth, jump (possibly to her death) into the river while a major battle raged? And what more could she have done to contact Cahill and his attack force? They knew she was there, but she was surrounded by enemy soldiers the whole time. She couldn't have escaped. She was clearly playing it safe in dangerous circumstances.

It's also possible that spoiler[she put too much faith in her rescuers (see her reaction to their presence), and (mistakenly) figured she COULD play it safe with a pilot of Cahill's abilities coming for her. Aida is, like all the characters, obviously somebody with room for growth.]

meiam wrote:
Isn't ridiculous in itself that the world nation would stop developing there technology and let pirate keep getting ahead?

No? The Federation doesn't exist anymore, as evidenced by the discussion of a number of nations in each episode (and the complete lack of reference to a Federation). There is no more "world nation", which means a collapse of some kind likely happened.

What it comes down to is that the tech is a bit regressed, but instead of seeing that as a curious part of the setting (which, again, is so far after the last chronological Gundam series that basically anything could have happened in the interim), you're choosing to see it as an inconsistency.

meiam wrote:
Okay, why did they stop pursuing the gundam at the beginning, never even mentioned.

I'll give you that the first scene kinda jumps right into things, and doesn't take any time to establish how that situation began. But man, read into this stuff a bit, it's not hard to come up with an explanation.

Dellensen (purple haired captain) went after Raraiya when he saw her fall, which tells us that the Gundam wasn't a priority for him. Since he wasn't in combat against the pirates in that scene, my guess is he stumbled onto the pirate pursuit of the Gundam during a patrol or after a scan or something, so he had no stakes in what was happening. He chose to rescue the girl, which gave the pirates a chance to get far enough away with the Gundam to not be worth pursuing (especially with a refugee); you'll notice, however, that his wingmen DO recover the ejected backpack, given the chance.

meiam wrote:
If only long haired pirate girl can pilot the gundam, why didn't she notice that the girl who ejected was on the ship?

Aida (long-haired girl) obviously isn't the only one who can pilot it, considering Raraiya was piloting it in the beginning. And since Aida doesn't recognize Raraiya, it's probably safe to assume the two haven't met. That makes sense; Raraiya was ignored by the Pirates in favor of the Gundam, and they didn't stage any sort of rescue operation like they later do for Aida, so she probably isn't allied with them. My guess is she stole the G-Self, or else the pirates were trying to steal it from her. Only time will tell.

But also, Raraiya is, as you noted a couple posts back, our Mystery Girl. There are questions about her that are bound to be left for later in the series. Hell, that goes for the worldbuilding, too - do you really want all the details to be spoon-fed to you right off the bat? There have been two episodes, give the show some time to flesh itself out.

meiam wrote:
And if they went back to earth… why were they going to space in the first place? With the mysterious girl? There in a space elevator, not exactly something you can just turn around whenever you feel like it, what about all the other passenger?

True, we don't know why Raraiya was in the elevator. Possibly because she's under Dellensen's direct care (again, something they mention). But I think it's strange that you're so hung up on the elevator's trip. Nothing we're shown even implies that the trip is some long journey to the stars - indeed, we're shown another elevator returning, when the pirates attack it. Obviously it was a routine trip.

(And as a side note: they may not have directly established the reason in-show, I don't remember, but the elevators go into space to spoiler[collect photon batteries provided by the moon colony Towasanga - remember, that's what the pirates are attacking the other elevator for in the first place).]

I dunno, it just feels like you're preferring to assume the show doesn't make sense/didn't have any thought put into it instead of bothering to look for answers in the show itself. When making a sci-fi show, you can either explain all the details of the world to the audience using heavy-handed exposition, or you can show it to them and reveal it organically through the narrative. That latter approach is pretty clearly what G-Reco is going with, and while it can sometimes result in miscommunication between the show and the audience, I think it's worth the risk. It forces your audience to pay attention to your show and think about what they're seeing. G-Reco isn't perfect at it, but it is very good, and most of the stuff you're talking about is all right there in the show.
meiam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:29 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[When they were rescuing her, none of them were armed nor where they even just grabbing her, she could have very easily at any point just jumped in the water (when they were next to the broken bridge, that was definitely not a deadly fall). There her rescuer would have no problem finding her, since they have this crazy technology that can identify people from really far to the point that it can apparently identify iris pattern. But nah she just jump on the walker without any of them even asking her.]

I don't have a problem with tech regressing, but that's not the narrative, the idea is that they have the tech but banned using it, while they are actively getting attacked by pirate that use technology far superior to theres. I don't really have a big problem now with it, just hope that they have a damn good explanation down the line and I can't come up with any, I'd be like if the british empire at the time where they had lots of pirate problem deciding to stop building cannon on there ship.

spoiler[Okay so first scene, you have a bunch of them going after the gundam (with mech that have flight capability). The gundam pilot eject, so the mech that is grabbing on the gundam decide to release it rather than tell one of the other pilot to go and grab the slow falling human. Then after he grab her they all just decide to ignore the gundam, who's now pilotless and just free falling, incapable of avoiding them. Even then, the gundam would just hit the ground and they can easily get it back since it can't move anymore being pilotless and all. The more I read into it the less sense it makes, at first I assume that Aida was the one piloting it so that it would give some sort of reason for why they didn't capture it, but then your just back to the wondering why she doesn't react to her (plus the cockpit is too small for two).]

And the elevator trip really is strange, you have a bunch of civilian plus some girls from a random high school cheering club and a bunch of cadet all going on a trip just to pick up some battery. Do you often board tanker going to russia to grab coal just to come right back, and while in sharing space with military personnel? And Raraiya being with them is even stranger, does the military just let him keep and take around a prisoner who's amnesiac and possibly a pirate for no reason? It was just the show trying to cram all the info in the least subtle way they could "hey we have space elevator, and mysterious girl, but also cheerleader!", the exact opposite of organically exposing the audience to information.
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:55 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
spoiler[When they were rescuing her, none of them were armed nor where they even just grabbing her, she could have very easily at any point just jumped in the water (when they were next to the broken bridge, that was definitely not a deadly fall). There her rescuer would have no problem finding her, since they have this crazy technology that can identify people from really far to the point that it can apparently identify iris pattern. But nah she just jump on the walker without any of them even asking her.]

Right. Except spoiler[a battle was raging around them, making it a dangerous situation to run off into. The only guaranteed rescue would be if she was picked up personally by a friendly MS, and she was never given that chance. Nor could she have approached one, considering they were all fighting others. These are giant machines that could easily kill an unprotected soldier completely by accident. Playing it safe by not running out into an ongoing giant mech battle is a perfectly reasonable thing for somebody to do. She was in no immediate danger where she was. Who said she had to be reckless?]

But okay. You see it as an inconsistency. Fine.

meiam wrote:
I don't have a problem with tech regressing, but that's not the narrative, the idea is that they have the tech but banned using it, while they are actively getting attacked by pirate that use technology far superior to theres. I don't really have a big problem now with it, just hope that they have a damn good explanation down the line and I can't come up with any, I'd be like if the british empire at the time where they had lots of pirate problem deciding to stop building cannon on there ship.

First off, I think you're overstating the pirate tech. spoiler[In case you missed it, the Capital forces won that battle. Yes, they were caught by surprise, but every single Grimoire was taken out - only two of which were by the G-Self.] Second, even if them having the technology is "the narrative", that tech is still banned, which means that your average military squad isn't going to have access to it (and it also creates the potential for it to be brought out later in the series). Third, I don't think the Capital considers pirates to be a particularly serious threat against earth-based installations, since the threat of them is never even casually discussed before the attack happens.

meiam wrote:
Okay so first scene, you have a bunch of them going after the gundam (with mech that have flight capability). The gundam pilot eject, so the mech that is grabbing on the gundam decide to release it rather than tell one of the other pilot to go and grab the slow falling human. Then after he grab her they all just decide to ignore the gundam, who's now pilotless and just free falling, incapable of avoiding them. Even then, the gundam would just hit the ground and they can easily get it back since it can't move anymore being pilotless and all. The more I read into it the less sense it makes, at first I assume that Aida was the one piloting it so that it would give some sort of reason for why they didn't capture it, but then your just back to the wondering why she doesn't react to her (plus the cockpit is too small for two).

I'm not even sure what you're arguing, here, but you seem to have forgotten that there were two factions involved in that scene. The CAPITAL FORCES choose to rescue Raraiya, but the pirates do the opposite of what you said: instead of ignoring the Gundam after catching her, they ignore her completely to pursue the Gundam. We're even shown a clear shot of them flying away with it in tow. This tells us two things: one, that the Capital MS have no interest in the Gundam (or at least so little that prioritizing a human life wasn't a big deal), so they likely don't know what it is and likely have no idea what the pursuit was about; and two, that the pirates have no interest in Raraiya, and so she likely isn't allied with them. What about that doesn't make sense, exactly? The exact nature of the pirates' pursuit of Raraiya is a mystery, sure, but what happens on screen isn't really all that difficult to figure out. And it's not even like you could get the two forces mixed up - one set of MS looks completely different from the other.

meiam wrote:
And the elevator trip really is strange, you have a bunch of civilian plus some girls from a random high school cheering club and a bunch of cadet all going on a trip just to pick up some battery. Do you often board tanker going to russia to grab coal just to come right back, and while in sharing space with military personnel? And Raraiya being with them is even stranger, does the military just let him keep and take around a prisoner who's amnesiac and possibly a pirate for no reason? It was just the show trying to cram all the info in the least subtle way they could "hey we have space elevator, and mysterious girl, but also cheerleader!", the exact opposite of organically exposing the audience to information.

-I conceded last post that the presence of the civilians is strange, but it does feel like a weird thing to get hung up on, and the more I think about it the more sense it makes. Maybe the public can purchase tickets to experience the elevator, like how particularly wealthy people can go into orbit even now? And think about it - the elevator, and space in general, are shown to hold a certain degree of religious significance, so the public paying a premium to ride it up to a certain point (an aspect of the ticket) makes sense. It's like paying to go on a pilgrimage. That, and going into space is a bit more a spectacle than going to a coal mine - that's a bit of a silly comparison. Whatever the case, the public being able to buy a ride does seem to be the reality, which brings me to...

-The cheerleaders. They weren't "random" - they were from the same school as the guys, obviously knew at least some of them personally, and came to show their support. Possibly against school regulations, considering the reaction of Dellensen, Kerbes (the blonde guy), and the other soldiers, but still. There's even a scene where they show their tickets to the military personnel, which supports the idea above.

-As for Raraiya, it's perfectly possible that her presence isn't random. Maybe Dellensen had her there for a purpose, and we just don't know that yet. If her presence comes off as strange, then good - she's supposed to be mysterious. And anyways, something generating a question doesn't make it an inconsistency, or mean that the director is just trying to "cram things in".
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I think it's kinda obvious that spoiler[Noredo likes Bellri since she keeps on insisting that he fell in love with Aida "at first sight".] Funny thing is that he isn't entirely denying it either.

Anyways, spoiler[I'm kinda curious to see how the others will interact next time at the other side. The fight in this episode was done well actually but that music at the end was just wacky.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
It is very ZZ logic in that thespoiler[ "kids take the Gundam out for a spin", it make some sense with retrospective thinking to why they surrendered/returned g-self yet even then it was an almost surreal moment watching the events unfold.]
Ep 3 didn't have as many unusual "action video pans", the jungle critters were amusing and established the jungle reclamation spoiler[considering that the UC era was supposed to be a "dying world" scenario of sorts, didn't help with the various colony drop incidents.]
Krotchstak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, South America and the Amazon were mostly spared destruction in the UC saga, and was never hit by any of the various droperations. IIRC the closest it gets is a bunch of underground nukes going off in Zeta (to destroy the old Jaburo base from the original series). We'll have to see just how well-off North America (and maybe Europe!) is, if their screentime comes.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:14 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 3:

I think it's kinda obvious that spoiler[Noredo likes Bellri since she keeps on insisting that he fell in love with Aida "at first sight".] Funny thing is that he isn't entirely denying it either.

I get vibes from Gundam Seed. Laughing I'm sure it will turn out that spoiler[ Aida is Bellri's sister]

Quote:

Anyways, spoiler[I'm kinda curious to see how the others will interact next time at the other side. The fight in this episode was done well actually but that music at the end was just wacky.]

Good episode all around. And finally finally after 2000 years we learn how ms pilots deal with toilets during long missions. They simply couldn't have copied Knights of Sidonia in this respect.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Why do the pirate even bother with being pirate when they could easily just take over the capital?

And why are they just lespoiler[tting her take the suit out, and just walk around wherever she please?] Not one of them even bother stoping her, heck they even helped her.

I feel like I'm watching some play put on by kindergarden. Kindergarden who have access to a really good artist to do there background.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:48 pm Reply with quote
finally gundam has a toilet.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:03 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

I'm not sure if I like Klim or not. He is a skilled pilot who is fiercely loyal to Aida. However, he is also a bit arrogant. spoiler[Anyways, the episode was okay in terms of action. I think Aida and Bell's relationship improved a bit, or at least it's better than before. I feel a bit bad for Aida though since she still blames herself a bit for the loss of one of her comrades.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wrangler

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:30 pm Reply with quote
May I recap? I'm trying get my brain around whats going on.

What do we know so far? There a big land war is going on between Amerie and different nation else where in the world. Capital Tower (faction) controls majority of world's power/resources and is basically suppose to be a "neutral" party on planet. Capital Tower is semi-religious organization that regulate and tries keep peace and protect their Capital Tower.

With span of 4 episodes the Guards are supersede by Capital Army. Is breaking the taboos of furthering technology, mostly like

The Pirate faction is believed to be Amerie faction, while we have possible forth faction that originated from space which the Girl Raraiya Monday came from and the original pilot of G-Self and who mystery nation may have produced the Arcane "Gundam".

Now the ship has ascended into Sub orbit to meet up with others.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:23 am Reply with quote
this doesn't feel like gundam. It feels like just another mecha series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4