• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GARO: Honō no Kokuin (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote

GARO: Honō no Kokuin (TV)

Genres: action, horror, supernatural
Director: Yuichiro HAYASHI
Head Writer: Yasuko KOBAYASHI

Plot Summary: After the king of the Valiante Kingdom launches a witch hunt that endangers both Makai Knights and Makai Priests, a Makai Priestess who is condemned to burn at the stake gives birth to a son, Leon Luis, whose Makai Knight father takes the child away to safety and trains him to become the Golden Knight Garo. Later in his life, when the king of the land grows ill and the throne is usurped by his advisor, the king's son Prince Alfonso and his mother the queen seek out the assistance of Garo to reclaim the throne.
----------------------------------

Honō no Kokuin is the 5th television series for the GARO franchise, and the first to be animated. Director Yuichiro HAYASHI has a number of animation credits under his belt, but this will be only his third directing credit, after an ONA and co-directing a single episode of Batman: Gotham Knight. Writer Yasuko KOBAYASHI is much more comfortable, not only having extensive writing credits for both anime and tokusatsu, but she also writes action sequences very well, and has also previously written an episode of GARO, episode 5 of the second series, Makai Senki.

The description feels much more fantasy-esque than the previous series, which have either been modern-day Japan (GARO, Makai Senki, and Makai no Hana, series 1, 2, and 4, respectively), or 20-minutes-in-the-future Japan (Yami o Terasu Mono, series 3), but I trust Kobayashi to know what she's doing.

My one worry is that she's writing this and Ressha Sentai ToQger concurrently, and I worry that it will make one or the other suffer.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:21 pm Reply with quote
I'm not very familiar with the director's work but I did check out the animated PV and premise which sounds interesting. I have somewhat mixed feelings though with the transition between the animation. We'll see how this show delivers. I did check out some of the live action also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote
IIRC, I have one theatrical special (that I just haven't gotten around to watching) and the newest episode of Makai no Hana to catch up on everything of the tokusatsu that's been released ^^;

It's looking interesting to me, too, I'm just not sure how it'll translate to this more fantasy-esque setting. And Kobayashi working on ToQger at the same time.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, crapimation got this. Hopefully, someone will still fansub it, since there's no way I'm missing my #2 anticipated series of the season because it is physically unavailable to me.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Sadly, crapimation got this. Hopefully, someone will still fansub it, since there's no way I'm missing my #2 anticipated series of the season because it is physically unavailable to me.

have you by any chance submitted a ticket to support and/or posted directly on the issue reporting thread on their site detailing the problems you are having so they can identify the problems and work on them for the next site update?
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I can't access the site. Their main page crashes my laptop.

Besides, we don't watch anything on the laptop. We watch it on the TV. And everyone has told me that the 360 app barely works at all, so I'm not paying them money for that, either.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:35 am Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what to think of the pilot episode. I mean, the spoiler[OP song had this different style to it. Otherwise, I think the show got the point across especially in regards with its premise. It had violence and fan service too but that didn't surprise me.]

spoiler[Herman] impressed me the most so far from the latest episode though. I'll watch more to see where this goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vanfanel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:27 am Reply with quote
For those not watching it raw off JP TV: no GARO experience is truly complete without bizarro commercials like this one and this one assaulting you multiple times per episode.

Sansei R&D (one of the franchise's main sponsors) must be selling a ton of pachinko machines to fund all the rubber suits, CG, and now anime.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote
Seriously? spoiler[The queen's name is Esmeralda LOL
The witch hunts were pretty brutal.]

Magic parts look good so far.
This one has potential.
Might give it a try.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote
Here's some bit of worthless trivia for anyone who cares about it.

The names Fernando and Alfonso for the king and prince are most likely not randomly chosen. Fernando the Third was canonized as a saint by the Vatican because he was instrumental to pushing the muslims out of most of the Iberic peninsula. His son and heir Alfonso the Tenth is mostly known for being a cultured king that patroned knowledge and science. It doesn't seem a stretch to think the characters could've been inspired in the historical figures, in which case I'm interested in seeing if they'll draw something else from these people. Does anyone think it's just a happy coincidence?
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Both boys are growing up nicely.
Garo is too carefree and not taking the mission seriously.
His son seems more mature than him.
The fight was nice, but I'm just not feeling it.
Dropping this one.]
meiam

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Hum I don't know what to think either, I can't tell what it's trying to do. The 3D is completely miss matched with the normal art and the story doesn't seem to be anything particularly interesting nor well executed, but not bad either. It's seems like it's going for trashiness with sex and torture scene but at the same time it's censoring those, or rather not showing them.

For now it's neatly tucked between so bad it's good and genuinely entertaining.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
I wonder if Rebecca will retract her "this show is sexistsexistsexist" review after the second episode, which introduces one of the strongest female characters in recent anime. I didn't even thing the first episode was that bad, it had equal opportunity fanservice (skewed in the ladies favor, really). The CG armor really doesn't blend well with the show, but at the same time the armor is apparently integral to the franchise, they likely couldn't afford to hand animate something that complex, and couldn't hire anyone who could blend the CG armor better than that. At least it's not as bad as Sailor Moon.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 6:10 am Reply with quote
While the first episode was mostly about laying the foundations of the world, this episode really allowed for us to actively dwell in that world. I like it, though I didn't expect characters to be so Freudian. So kid, thinking about your mom turns on your flames? Well, every character is really well established through their actions and they are very distinctive. Ema is my favorite right now, she was unexpectedly a huge badass.
Technical aspects were also decent, but they had their issues. For example the scene where spoiler[ the part of the bridge falls off was bad. First, the camera was static and distant, making the whole scene energy-less and dull. Second, the cut right after that has Leon suddenly crashing into house. Because the camera wasn't following him whole time, we feel disoriented and it seems as if there no logic to his movement.] Funi's streams are also unfortunately over-saturated, and there were times when I couldn't see the character's lips due to that over-saturation. It also sucks because so much of the mood is created due to specific coloring.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I hope spoiler[Leon gets better at his control during fighting since I don't think he mastered his abilities completely yet. Good to see him getting Zaruba back though as that's important. ]

Kinda curious what other role the prince will play in this series later on as well...as he is quite an interesting character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4