• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Eden's Bowy.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Hello all.

The other night, a few friends and I picked up a fansub of the series Eden's Bowy, episodes 1 and 2. We got about halfway through the second episode and hit eject. The plotline took forever to form up, and was hyper-convoluted, and the artwork was nothing at all to speak of. In fact, the animation reminded me a lot of 3x3 Eyes. Very mediocre. I just could not find a way to get into this series based on what I saw.

Now tell me please, did I make a mistake in ejecting the tape early? Am I actually missing out on something stellar here?
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I, sadly, delved a bit further into Eden's Bowy than I really wanted to.

No, you're not missing anything.

And while we're on this subject, why is it that when I stop watching something at, say, episode 2 or 3 or even 4, fanboys feel the need to give me grief about it?

"OH NO DUDE, THERE'S SO MUCH MORE TO IT, YOU JUST HAVE TO FIND IT. AROUND EPISODE 7 IS WHEN IT REALLY TAKES OFF"

Yeah, okay. 7 episodes. That's about... 175 minutes of enduring something I don't care for in the vain hope that the remaining... 475 minutes (we're assuming this is a 26 episode series) will be well worth the effort. I think I'm just going to cut my losses at the 75 or even 50 minute mark. After all, this is MY precious time here. I could be playing violent video games or drawing crappy cartoons instead of suffering through some mediocre anime.

So stop trying to tell me how great Chobits gets later in its run, fanboys of the world. I just don't care.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:

a fansub of the series Eden's Bowy, episodes 1 and 2.

Yah..... It's a shame, because I really liked the manga... :(
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 2:08 am Reply with quote
Byron: The same needs to be said about Macross 7 and Blue Sub.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
There is no fresher thread for this anime, so I will comment here -- after twelve years-long pause. Next person to comment is welcome in 2026, I guess. Laughing (Though do not necessary expect me to reply at the time.)

Notes after watching all episodes (not in the order of importance):

1) weird palette of beige and slightly rosy colours of characters' bodies (though nearly all of old anime have this illness);

2) characters' mouths are too close to the noses, hence chins are too tall (huge). It was symptomatic for whole industry in those years, too. It is interesting who was the first to ever think that it was great idea to crook faces that way? (Bigger than normal eyes and sharp noses are not issues since their relative placement on faces did not change, unlike to case with mouth moved up to the nose, which is different type of change.)

3) in characters' profile (half face, side view) eyes are often too flat or even curved inwards -- old wrong tradition;

4) hair colour of blond woman changes to green when she is dark -- another ridiculous tradition of old;

5) characters' chins do not move when they talk -- a sign of cheap animation;

6) in the beginning main character wears traditional Japanese pants with A-shirt (sleeveless shirt), which is relatively recent Western invention. Maybe authors thought it is sexy or something, but it is a strange combination.

7) main character is shown to be attracted to inhuman species (or visibly mutated). Most viewers would find it hard to empathise with the main hero about that, if put in such situation in reality. Weirdly enough, there was a lot of general public-oriented anime where such relations and attractions are shown, and it was meant to be fine. But you could not have main hero or main heroine attracted to person of his/her own sex, it was/is a taboo. No consistency here;

8) usually in shonen stories fathers of main characters are not shown, but not here. Interesting approach, I thought; rare anime about father and son bonding? However, as it turned out, authors only made it so to immediately spoiler[kill] the father; mystery solved;

9) this show has a pair of hapless clumsy comic "evil" guys, which was also common in the old animation, but not in newer production. Somehow producers got tired of this vehicle and I can not name a single anime that would use it in the last decade;

10) another old habit of anime is to repeat the last scene from before the break or from previous episode, but not literally, changing it. For example, in the original scene a mutant girl has screamed, but in a repeat, she decided to not scream;

11) the show is full of funny old-fashioned sounds that ruled over anime from 1970s to 1990s;

12) otherwise show has impressive symphonic music;

13) the mother-narrator makes this show more fairy-tale-like, so it is good. Also typical for older anime.

14) the show has few flaws in story and sad ending that could be avoidable (does not have much sense) -- this is probably because the anime was done in 1999 while manga has continued at least to 2012 (not sure if it still continues).

Overall, this is coherent continuous classical fantasy story with minor elements of mild mecha and likeable characters. Main hero is really cute (why would anyone want to hurt this adorable teen? I do not understand, you can not hurt youth), as well as ears-girl, which is especially cool considering how many shows make annoying/useless/abusive female characters. In the end, it is touching story. I would definitely recommend it.

I wish there would be an OVA with actual continuation and ending of the story. But this will probably never happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1