• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Le Fruit de la Grisaia (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:42 am Reply with quote
Yeah... the show kind of just through me for a loop. They did do a good job showing that something is off with each character and that a mystery is behind them in the first episode.... but then these last 2 episode where mostly just random and funny, it just tripped me up about what was really going on.

spoiler[ I forget her name... but I do not believe the masturbating chick. I think she was just putting on a show. Looking at that part when she was picking the lock to his room, she clearly noticed someone was watching her and from then on was probably just trying to cover for herself.]

I am enjoying this show thus far... and can't wait to see where this all goes.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Well.....

That hit in the feels at the end there. spoiler[Akame ga Kill and this show both today within a 2 hour time frame...]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Oh man all that skipping. I was worried about how they would cover all the routes in only 12 eps and this is why. Well at least there is always the VN itself I guess.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Is there any confirmation of it really only being 13 episodes? I've heard rumors circulating that it's a split cour but nothing to back up those claims. In addition, Amazon.co.jp listed 6 volumes with the first volume containing 3 episodes and the following volumes 2 episodes each.

I have yet to watch episode 3 but from reading the Grisaia threads on /a/, it seems they'll cover each girl's route in 2 episodes. Cue my disappointment if this is found to be true. Now I have to contemplate between either spoiling the VN for myself by watching this show through or pick up from where I left off in the VN and then finish watching this at a later date. But seeing my lack of time and commitment, I'll probably end up doing the former. . .
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

A couple months ago when spoiler[I last saw my dog, she was in pain, and unable to move]. For that reason seeing the spoiler[cat here felt kind of hard on me, it made me tear up]. After watching a certain other show I wanted to watch something a little more light hearted, spoiler[and it almost succeeded]. Well it succeeded at throwing me a curve ball.

So Michiru suffers spoiler[from multiple personality disorder]. I would guess maybe she has spoiler[it as a coping device from a tragic past that is probably death related]. Also the episode made note that she spoiler[dies her hair, perhaps desperate to create a different identity]. She also seemed to have spoiler[medication in her pouch].

Overall, so far Michuru has kind of been my favourite so I liked the episode. For crazy theory time, I will guess that she spoiler[has no family, and I wonder if she is related in some way to Yuuji who is likely an assassin].

Also funny how he made a spoiler[nickname, Yuumin, for Yumiko].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5:

Well, that was kinda interesting. I'm not a big fan of spoiler[Michiru from the cast so far but it was nice to know a bit more about her back story. And really, that's her wish? It's definitely something grim. I like how Yuuji is trying to help the real Michiru though no matter what happens.]

Oh and that ED song is cute imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Was the episode clear if the spoiler[separate personality was the one from the heart, or was it mostly something Michiru created to deal with the stress]. It was a pretty dark episode, also crazy, he spoiler[was totally crazy with what he did, I think they both kind of share it]. She had spoiler[depression from her home life, planned to attempt suicide and instead stopped another girl from doing it]. The two of them spoiler[became best friends, but her friend ended up killing herself. Her friend's clothes being messed up] gives some implications of spoiler[what she was dealing with]. So with a spoiler[separate personality, she tried to commit suicide, got institutionalised, and started to be able to deal with it by creating a separate persona as a clown].

Michuru had gotten my attention the most at the beginning and I was happy with this. I wonder how this will go continuing on. Back on to whether real or fake, I knew that what spoiler[he gave her were placebos (candy), so the personality swaps were more of in her head rather than what she thought of drugs helping]. The ending also seemed to imply a bit that she spoiler[was not entirely healed, no sudden fix all of problems].
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

The episode felt rushed since it pretty much resolved spoiler[Yumiko's story in a single episode. I felt bad for her though considering what her mother said to her. Poor girl.]

spoiler[Yuuji was awesome though with this tactics and involvement. I even have to give Michiru a bit of credit for intervening.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Here I was under the impression that spoiler[Yumiko] was the main heroine for this adaptation. But not only did they cover her route this early, it only lasted one episode. I suppose spoiler[Amane] is going to take the top spot, then.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

That suddenly got pretty dark. Who am I kidding, last episode had a girl spoiler[get buried alive which she visibly wet herself in fear], followed by a flashback of spoiler[her friend committing suicide]. It does feel like they forced about the same amount of what Michiru had from a few episodes, into one. But maybe they thought that it could be covered this quickly without much problem, which I think it was.

It was a frightening scene, the spoiler[standoff and the end of it], I was hoping that it would have the spoiler[reveal that he organised a way for her to get out of it]. Seeing the spoiler[corpse after the explosion had me really hoping, Kill la Kill is already having that sort of thing, and it was heartbreaking that the father really cared and perhaps it was not his call what happened to her mother]. Not sure if it was spoiler[trying to do a fake out], but there is some deep psychological elements in this show, it keeps me interested. We have had multiple personalities, and I guess the whole box cutter thing is indicative of something.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Episode 7:

Well that felt rushed. I mean, spoiler[Sachi is an interesting girl with a past including a meeting with Yuuji at the playgrounds. I just find the characterization to be average when it comes to letting the audience know more about her character.]

Comedy was decent at least but the balance of the episode felt off imo.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 7:
to letting the audience know more about her character.[/spoiler]

Comedy was decent at least but the balance of the episode felt off imo.

although, sorry... I laughed the hardest when spoiler[her parents were run over by the bus.] I mean, I saw it coming but spoiler[when they started walking across the road I said to myself "no... they're not going to be run over... no, too cliche... and there are two of them" WHAM!] Couldn't stop from LOLing. spoiler[ Not only is it ridiculous to have two people get run over by a whisper quiet speeding truck, but until the wide shot the street was always shown as a quiet little neighborhood street... the kind where you put children's playgrounds]

If that's not a meme already, it should be-spoiler[ people just being randomly mowed down by trucks and buses]. I'm pretty sure I have actually seen something like that, I just can't remember exactly what it was. Maybe this or the first scene of Excel Saga... or just about any sports anime where a sibling dies...
wait, no... Final Destination... or Mean Girls
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

Damn, that is pretty hard core. Sachi was going spoiler[to bomb the school to match someone's random whims]. I found my myself kind of yelling at the screen when spoiler[Michiru made the joke, but yeah, Michiru herself is not exactly the most clear headed person]. I knew that spoiler[the bombs would not go off because he had a plan, but it did not stop it from] feeling pretty intense. Sachi is spoiler[the second girl to wet herself], and I am really hoping it is not done as some sort of sick spoiler[fanservice, I mean it is pretty crazy, she thought that she almost go everyone killed].

I want to say an opinion on this series. I know that they are rushing over material that is more in depth in the novels, but I personally am greatly enjoying this. As someone not familiar with the source material I am finding myself caring about these characters, and the dark twist on the usual genre. So far it feels like it is working fine in the anime format, and that is actually what is important instead of a simple transition. I am pretty sure I will remember this series, and in a mostly positive way so far.

Next I think we move onto Makina, and the titles hints there will be multiple episodes for her. I wonder if we will get some scene we see how messed up he is and the girls have to help him?
Stark700

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8:

Is that how spoiler[daughters kiss their "papa" these days? Surprised]

So spoiler[Makina is targeted by assassins now. Oh boy. I hope Yuuji is prepared for what's to come soon. I also wonder how the other girls will get involved in this since Yumiko already played a small role.]
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:57 pm Reply with quote
The dilemma main character is facing would probably be more compelling if we had any indication of why he would want to be loyal to mysterious organization X.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 15