• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pipoko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:58 pm Reply with quote
From the bits I saw I have no desire to read more of it. I think it's pretty horrible and that's not just because the sexism and terrible translation. Like, I think the prolouge which only took a 40 min episode, took several sittings for the player to get through, which is several hours? All of which had very redundant and annoying things to sit through. Usually good material shines through even when the translation is shit, but there's stuff that just can't be translation stuff, too.
Raneth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
So I'm familiar with Fate but not with UBW or Heaven's Feel.

Does anyone think, or is there reason to believe, that the anime will have elements from all three routes? Especially considering the presence of Fate Zero, and how they may incorporate elements from that show into this one. I hope they do. I've heard that spoiler[Heaven's Feel deals with what happens to the grail,] so I wouldn't be surprised if they intermingled elements from both UBW and Heaven's Feel to create a worthy follow up to Zero. Perhaps they'll have elements in this anime that will tie into the upcoming Heaven's Feel film?

Or maybe I'm just dreaming. But what do others think?
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Pipoko wrote:
Like, I think the prolouge which only took a 40 min episode, took several sittings for the player to get through, which is several hours?

This is not the Hobbit where watching the movie takes more time than reading the book. The prologue was about 4 hours with decent reading speed and the content is pretty much the same in the novel and the 0 episode except for the Nasuprose.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:

Does anyone think, or is there reason to believe, that the anime will have elements from all three routes? Especially considering the presence of Fate Zero, and how they may incorporate elements from that show into this one. I hope they do. I've heard that spoiler[Heaven's Feel deals with what happens to the grail,] so I wouldn't be surprised if they intermingled elements from both UBW and Heaven's Feel to create a worthy follow up to Zero. Perhaps they'll have elements in this anime that will tie into the upcoming Heaven's Feel film?

It's hard to say exactly what they will do. But I seriously doubt they'll incorporate parts of Heaven's Feel into this considering they are doing a separate Heaven's Feel movie later. You can already see elements of Fate/Zero incorporated in the show with how the characters interact with each other.
Merostay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:38 am Reply with quote
Raneth wrote:

The tie in to Heavens feel is probably gonna be the same as in the VN, the fact that Sakura gets shafted/put on a bus.

I mean, in Fate route at least she pops back up at the epilogue so that you know how she is,but in UBW she spoiler[vanishes after the sleep-over and never returns] theres a reason why post UBW fanfiction is the darkest...
Heavyarms59

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote
I almost spit out my water when I saw that scene with Kirei and spoiler[ Gilgamesh in the church.]

The scene with Ilya using spoiler[ Irisviel's familiars ] was awesome as well.

I guess they're trying to tie it more closely to Fate/Zero which I have no problem with.

As for the episode itself, I loved how they emphasized how great of a fighter Berserker is even under the mad enhancement.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm an episode late here but it's really hitting me now just how perfect the parallel between those two scenes is. At a church, the priest who is the supposedly impartial (but actually scheming and manipulative) overseer for the event explains the details of the Grail War to a confused, directionless guy who finds himself inexplicably a hesitant participant despite his almost complete lack of magical ability or involvement with the world of mages. Meanwhile another participant, a mage of the Tohsaka family with whom the young man is cooperating, looks on. So yeah, it's essentially the same scene except Rin and Kirei replace their fathers while Shiro becomes the new Kirei. It's interesting to note the discontinuity too though. Unlike her father, Rin stands by Shiro instead of circling him like a hungry predator along with Kirei which speaks to the way she differs from her father who saw Kirei as merely a tool to be used unlike Rin who actually feels some compassion toward Shiro. It's really quite impressive.
Muphrid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
The one thing I think bears saying is that some facts were just straight up said to us--Berserker's stronger than Saber, Rin's never seen familiars that adaptable, etc.--and it seemed a little clumsy, breaking up the flow of an otherwise very, very solid episode.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
I'm an episode late here but it's really hitting me now just how perfect the parallel between those two scenes is. At a church, the priest who is the supposedly impartial (but actually scheming and manipulative) overseer for the event explains the details of the Grail War to a confused, directionless guy who finds himself inexplicably a hesitant participant despite his almost complete lack of magical ability or involvement with the world of mages. Meanwhile another participant, a mage of the Tohsaka family with whom the young man is cooperating, looks on. So yeah, it's essentially the same scene except Rin and Kirei replace their fathers while Shiro becomes the new Kirei. It's interesting to note the discontinuity too though. Unlike her father, Rin stands by Shiro instead of circling him like a hungry predator along with Kirei which speaks to the way she differs from her father who saw Kirei as merely a tool to be used unlike Rin who actually feels some compassion toward Shiro. It's really quite impressive.

If you've played through Heaven's Feel you'll know that the franchise goes to great pains to use Kirei and Shirou as thematic and ideological mirrors to one another, so that scene is effective at beginning to establish that relationship.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:28 am Reply with quote
Muphrid wrote:
The one thing I think bears saying is that some facts were just straight up said to us--Berserker's stronger than Saber, Rin's never seen familiars that adaptable, etc.--and it seemed a little clumsy, breaking up the flow of an otherwise very, very solid episode.

The problem is that power is a very tricky thing in the nasuverse: every familiar and mage has so many different categories of proficiency, that are literally reduced to RPG statistics, that it becomes important to specify that ways in which combatant X stacks up against combatant Y. The show says Berserker is stronger "in terms of raw ability" but as the episode shows later on, that doesn't mean a ton whenspoiler[mad enhancement deprives him of most of his Noble Phantasms and Saber can exploit that weakness by using invisible air to blow him up. ]

I don't really mind Rin's comment either because without it the audience would have no reason to think that familiars that adaptable are a strange occurrence.

Last edited by 鏡 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Pipoko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

What a great callback.

The connection between this and Fate/Zero gives all the character interactions so much subtle depth. Love it. Even stuff like small gestures or flashbacks; to top it off, it was just an all-around excellent action episode.
Doodleboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:31 am Reply with quote
Honestly one thing that impressed me about the show (and highlighted in these reviews) is that it's really good at subtext.

People are saying one thing, but meaning something completely different. Rin's smiles carries daggers, tiny phrases hold a ton of hidden meaning and importance. Sakura's seemingly innocent actions hint at the awful things that have happened to her. Plus Kirei in this episode.

And it's character writing-101, but it's rare to see it used this well.

Seems to be one of the advantages of adapting a franchise as steeped in and engrained as the Fate franchise. The director know these characters and expects the audience to know them.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hell has frozen over, pigs are flying, Kizumonogatari has a release date, and Shirou Emiya is a good character. Only one of these is true (sorry Monogatari fans) and I still can't quite believe it - I like Shirou Emiya in this anime.

Best review line EVER.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The moment where he grabs Saber's hand and rushes her out of range of Archer's blow is actually pretty cute, and while I don't think they work as a romantic match

I also think that Shiro and Saber don't make a good match, which is why I'm glad spoiler[he ends up with Rin in this version.] I really liked that scene where he pulled her out of danger too, not because of the romantic subtext, but because he got to do something useful without doing something stupid (compared to how he was injured in the 2006 anime).
Levonr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
"Shirou improves immensely when liberated from the visual novel's first person perspective". You really think that is the deciding factor that makes him a better character? Its said but not explained. Its not like the liberation of the first person perspective helped the first anime...
Its like the reviewer just wants to take jabs at the VN.

Last edited by Levonr on Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 136