• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga in school libraries?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
A little question for all you manga readers: did you ever have manga/currently have manga in your school library (if you're still in school)? If you're a school librarian, do you try and get manga for your library?

My current school has a few random volumes of series like Kamikaze, Ultra Maniac, Yotsuba, etc. Mostly shojo, with the only shonen being Orphen. I've found a few decent titles through there.

However, out of curiosity and boredom, I started going through Chicago's school library system for manga, and I am...both jealous and bewildered. Lots of manga. Pretty much every title I could think of, even stuff like Firefighter: Diago of Fire Company M! (Which had only been checked out once, I may add.)

Plus one of their high schools had High School DxD. o.o I question if some of these librarians know what they're buying, as I saw Vampire Knight, Gravitation, Death Note, and Chobits just to name a few not-quite-suitable-for-young-kids manga series listed in elementary schools.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:03 am Reply with quote
haha nooooooooo not a scrap, even the public library's round here dont have much in the way of comics yet alone manga but we dont have our own manga publishers here anymore so its not really unusual.

If i want to read manga I have to buy it or read it online and I prefer to read it in book form so i gotta cane my wallet and pray that publishers stateside put books out.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
We had a little bit in my school, but that was only because my friends and I ran the anime club and badgered them into getting some. I can't really remember what they had, so it can't have been that exciting. Probably Naruto and Bleach or similar.
CarolinaMangaLibrary

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Most school libraries won't have manga or comics unless your librarian is interested in it. Also, school libraries have to adhere to very strict guidelines on what they can and cannot stock.

Public libraries don't have the strict guidelines to adhere to. Instead, they have very strict budgets to adhere to. Also, most libraries require their librarians to justify their purchases.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1