• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Macross TV Anime Project Announced With Singer Auditions

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Sylontack wrote:
kazenoyume wrote:
That seems a bit odd as no doubt Sheryl and Ranka would still have active careers by then.

spoiler[That definitely depends on if you go with the film or TV end, and even then how you interpret the film end.]

Going with the film end doesn't change my statement though. spoiler[Kawomori said that he was confused by people thinking the second film had a bad end, because he meant it to be 'obvious' that Sheryl was waking up (see the credits) and Alto was returning. To this conclusion, in the BD release earlier this year they actually added a joint Sheryl/Ranka concert that takes place post film, making that concrete.]
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Panon wrote:
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
You cannot compare Gundam and Macross. While the former franchise has evolved over the course of almost four decades, Macross had been too much conservative. It's simply past its due date. And no, flying planes in space won't save it anymore.

Hahahaha.

I know, right?
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:38 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:
So basically Macross fans have low standards and can't distinguished good or bad just the fact that it has the Macross name to it they'll gladly lap to it because they're desperate, might explain why DYRL gets praised despite it being incredibly dated.

If dated were a way to criticize something, everything older than Eva could be called dated. Gunbuster? Dated. Bubblegum Crisis? Dated. Harlock and GE999? Super dated; so I guess that means they're all terrible because we're using some arbitrary measure or worth.

The core concepts of all those shows are relevant today also Bubblegum Crisis is incredibly dated, there's nothing about thst series that stands the test of time.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:
So basically Macross fans have low standards and can't distinguished good or bad just the fact that it has the Macross name to it they'll gladly lap to it because they're desperate, might explain why DYRL gets praised despite it being incredibly dated.

If dated were a way to criticize something, everything older than Eva could be called dated. Gunbuster? Dated. Bubblegum Crisis? Dated. Harlock and GE999? Super dated; so I guess that means they're all terrible because we're using some arbitrary measure or worth.

The core concepts of all those shows are relevant today also Bubblegum Crisis is incredibly dated, there's nothing about thst series that stands the test of time.

Your trolling is really transparent dude.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Well if it involves a bit of music, then sign me up for it. I am somewhat interested it in now.

Pretty sure Sunrise will be adapting this also.

I would absolutely love that, but I see it as a bit of a pipe dream at the same time since Sunrise is always either about Gundam or trying to make it's next big hit franchise. Sunrise has shown it can do dancing, idols and mecha just about better and with more fanfare than anyone though so it's not entirely out of the question. It'd just kind of be like the equivalent of how Nintendo now has Sega games on it's console and Sonic and Mario appearing in the same games. That was the original classic mecha rivalry back in the day 80's and 90's similar to the console wars of the era with Sunrise and Gundam and Studio Nue and Macross.

Hoppy800 wrote:
I doubt this could even be simulcasted with the legal snarls this franchise has. I can't wait to see how the series turns out (at least this new series will be treated with respect unlike Gundam).

Yeah it's sad that Gundam rarely gets any respect from people anymore these days even though I think it remains plenty good. People just seem to love to hate on it though, but at the same time I don't see why Macross couldn't necessarily end up in that boat as well. I don't think it will though, fans in the West just seem more open to giving new Macross series a fair shake.

Personally I don't see the problem with having multiple Gundams at the same time though or it having more frequent entries since AGE aside each new entry in the last decade has sort of brought it's own flavor and approach to the whole Gundam concept. Like you can't tell me Build Fighters and G-Reco have anything really in common other than Gundams in the title and show and Gundam The Origin is pretty much a back story entry for the One Year War of events that have been talked about in canon and reference books but never actually animated. That's three Gundams at the same time yeah, but all kind of different enough to avoid the feeling of saturation. I guess I can understand if some people find it just a little too much at the same time though and thus kind of overbearing, but I don't.

Strangely despite it being more infrequent I tend to find more in common between say Macross Frontier and Macross Seven. Macross Plus to me was the most unique entry in the franchise and along with the original TV series remains my favorite to this day and well...it's unofficial now but I didn't really find Macross II all that great at all and like a total rehash of the original with weaker characters and antagonists. Still have yet to see Zero but I hear both good and bad things about it depending on who I ask.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

Go learn what trolling means before using the word next time. If you can't point forth a rebuttal then don't bother quoting me with nonsense fanboy.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:55 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

Go learn what trolling means before using the word next time. If you can't point forth a rebuttal then don't bother quoting me with nonsense fanboy.

Nuh-uh, you're a dumb wiener.

There, consider yourself rebutted at basically the only level that your rhetorical approach, which consists of adjectives without any actual substance, absolute assertions without any support and what are, frankly, flat-out insults, allows. As argument, it's both inflammatory and mostly thoughtless. That you're trolling is actually the most complimentary explanation for your behavior.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

He said, trying to provoke a strong emotional response.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote
If someone can come into it new and enjoy it, it stands up. Calling something dated tends to just be an impotent qausi-insult when they can't necessarily pick at the structure of a work, even if there's no malice behind it. I hear people call movies "dated" all the time, but it's usually just in reference to it not taking place right now. When someone does that, it's just a statement of fact, "Yes, this movie clearly takes place in the 70s."
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:05 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If someone can come into it new and enjoy it, it stands up. Calling something dated tends to just be an impotent qausi-insult when they can't necessarily pick at the structure of a work, even if there's no malice behind it. I hear people call movies "dated" all the time, but it's usually just in reference to it not taking place right now. When someone does that, it's just a statement of fact, "Yes, this movie clearly takes place in the 70s."

I'm not sure if it's about the time a work is set, more about when it was made. And the techniques of that time being possibly distracting to someone not familiar with them. More, 'Yes, this movie clearly was made in the 70s.'

It also can have a lot to do with presentation of social and political views dating a work. Racism and McCarthyism in older movies for example. Can 'date' a work, and spoil the experience.

But yes, usually when 'dated' is tosse around its being used as a negative because a work is presided as 'old'. Generally a lack of appreciation for history is at fault.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
ChocoBar1 wrote:

Nuh-uh, you're a dumb wiener.

There, consider yourself rebutted at basically the only level that your rhetorical approach, which consists of adjectives without any actual substance, absolute assertions without any support and what are, frankly, flat-out insults, allows. As argument, it's both inflammatory and mostly thoughtless. That you're trolling is actually the most complimentary explanation for your behavior.

So you didn't even bother to read any of my responses and instead just went off on a tangent that tried to be quasi-intellectual but fell flat on its face due to your shallow retort. Well done.
ChocoBar1

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Except that doesn't hold true for all shows and people will specifically pick a show up from back then for the sheer fact that it's something that was conceived for a time period and doesn't hold up by modern standards, you're deluded if you think every show can stand the test of time just because a few people like it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:47 am Reply with quote
And you're just as deluded to think something no longer contains any value because you dislike it. You can't grasp that people genuinely enjoy DYRL.
treatment

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:01 pm Reply with quote
ChocoBar1 wrote:

There was nothing fresh or interesting about Frontier since all it did was played tropes of modern anime straight right down to the bad CG and bad love triangle. In fact I don't even think fresh and interesting describes any entry in the franchise barring SDF.

I just gotta ask...

What exactly is "fresh" and "interesting" in your view?
Minami-Asakura

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Lets just ignore the sad lunatics calling Macross dated and the like, there is clearly something not working right up there.

I can very well imagine what kind of series those lunatics probably like and their bad taste.

Anyway, looking forward to more Macross, no love For Macross 7? My favorite Macross, Nekki Bassara and the rock music was sublime, so much awesome music, awesome male protagonist, sadly I fear at having a new male singer in this day and age as the main protagonist, lets keep it a woman, I dont wanna see a bishounen a la shounen Hollywood, but the prospect of a new Ranka Lee lurks there, Sheryl should have been the real protagonist and Ranka should have not existed.

FIRE BOMBER!!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6