• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How does the audit system work?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I know how to participate in an audit but I do not know what happens then.
I was prompted to ask after seeing complaints in this Talkback thread. (warning: there are some rather insulting comments about ANN staff)
One specific complaint was about the themes for Love Lab.

What I was wondering is:
Is there a minimum number of people who need to participate in an audit before anything is changed?
Is there a minimum percentage of the respondents who must agree on the change?
Is there any way to tell if a genre or theme has been, or is being, audited?
If so, is it possible to see the results of the audit?

Any information on this subject would be appreciated.
I did find an existing thread about audits but it was nearly two years old. I do not know if the information in it is still valid, and it did not quite cover my questions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Touma wrote:

What I was wondering is:
Is there a minimum number of people who need to participate in an audit before anything is changed?

12 vote majority. At least that's how it started. If it's changed since then, hopefully Dan or an editor will poke their head into this thread.
Touma

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Touma wrote:

What I was wondering is:

12 vote majority. At least that's how it started. If it's changed since then, hopefully Dan or an editor will poke their head into this thread.

Thank you.
If it has changed it is probably still very similar. At least I now have a good idea of how it works.

I think that the main thing that people need to realize is that they need to participate in the audit if they think that something is wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote
I tweaked the rules a while back. First, while an audit is ongoing, the info will be temporarily shown or hidden, depending on the current status of the audit. So we don't have to wait for a final result before seeing some change.

Second, I changed the "12 vote majority" to something that depends on the total number of votes cast. If A wins over B by 4 votes, at n=6 it means 83% have chosen A but at n=30 it means only 57% have chosen A. So the win_margin required to win an audit depends on the total number of votes. By analyzing existing audits I found we need the following in order to be 99% sure the audit has settled on a final result:
5-7 votes --> win_margin >= 5
8-13 votes --> win_margin >= 6
14-21 votes --> win_margin >= 7
22-33 votes --> win_margin >= 8
34... votes --> win_margin >= 9
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Did you also open up the parameters for when you volunteer for an audit, Dan? I'm on a string of more than 100 right now Shocked
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, IIRC at some point I fixed a bug which caused people to stop getting audits when they could have more. But that was a long time ago.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
DerekTheRed wrote:
Did you also open up the parameters for when you volunteer for an audit, Dan? I'm on a string of more than 100 right now Shocked

At one point I know Dan made a change that caused me to have hundreds of additional things to audit. I had the option selected to immediately do another audit, and it kept doing more and more until I finally gave up. It seemed like almost every genre/theme from anything I had seen was up for audit. The thread I posted about it is located here. At the time, I thought there might have been a problem with the fix Dan made, since it made genres and themes that I thought should have easily reached a consensus show up (i.e., obviously correct genres for things seen by many thousands of users showed up). I'm thinking maybe that even though Dan said in the thread I linked to that the change affected a "few" audits, it actually affected many thousands. So basically, if you haven't done audits since March 2012, it is possible that lots of genres and themes from things you watched before then got added back into the available audits.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Nah, I usually do audits every once in a while, like every couple months. The day this thread came up I was reminded that I hadn't done any in a while, so I did a batch then. I think I figured it out though. It seems after 10 abstentions you stop getting new ones until after the 10 expire or you complete some.

I just always seem to get audits from the animatrix shorts, which I always skip because I saw them years ago, and don't remember one from the other. This time I just got lucky and those shows didn't pop until later.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:54 am Reply with quote
I have faced something about audit for the first time.

Wandering Swordsman anime has not a shred of realism of abilities of some of its main heroes -- they are pure magic, though not explicitly casted. But when I try to add this as a genre, the encyclopaedia says it was voted down during audit by majority of votes.

However, maybe it is time to perform a new audit? Or it is held once in a life time in the very beginning, and that is it?

In one of episodes, supposedly human character appears, but he is giant -- over three meters tall, weighing probably more than a tonne. It fits to "fantasy" genre as it mentions fantastical creatures.

By the way, I understand that genre "magic" is primarily destined for explicitly casted magic (they how Kuroko is allowed to have "magic" as genre? It is the same thing!) and "fantasy" is primarily for openly non-human creatures, but if so, and we can not use such genres for this anime, then a different genre has to be added that would point to superhuman abilities you see in this anime as opposed to realism.

And such genre perfectly answers to question whether anyone would watch or not watch an anime with this genre among listed. Some people hate superhuman abilities/magic like in Kuroko's Basketball or in supposedly historical anime like this, and others love it.

As it stands now, the options are:
1) revoke negative audit result for "magic" in Wandering Swordsman, allowing addition of this genre to the list, and keep "magic" for Kuroko's Basketball;
2) or we either should remove "magic" genre from Kuroko's Basketball, too, but then introduce a new genre like "superhuman abilities" so it could be added to both Wandering Swordsman and Kuroko's Basketball, among many others.

Only those two variants represent equal and consistent approach to the encyclopaedia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1