• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: A Certain Scientific Railgun S DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:40 am Reply with quote
Did you seriously just rate the dub version of Railgun higher than the sub? I don't hate dubs or even the stuff that Funimation usually put out but I really didn't like it.

People always give shit to Funimation because they didn't give Yuno a squeaky high pitched voice in the Future Diary dub but Brina Palencia's performance was really good and very distinctive in its own right. I actually respect the decision they made because it makes the show easier to take seriously. Plus Yuno's performance in the Japanese dub is way, way overrated. That being said, even though it would be near impossible to replicate Satomi Arai's performance, I do not respect the decision to make Kuroko sound like a generic high school girl. I get that playing the character is more important than trying to imitate the Japanese voice and that her performance should be judged on its own merits but there really isn't much to say about her English VA's performance other than it being notably inferior to the Japanese in a lot of ways. Don't get me started on 'Sissy'.

I watched a few episodes of S just to see if it improved in some sections (After all Jerry Jewell took over as ADR Director) but it was pretty much the same issue. Of course they weren't going to change Kuroko's VA mid show so I can't criticise them for that but all the Item Girls sounded really bland. Maybe Erica Mendez's performance in the KLK dub has made me expect too much from English VAs playing Ami Koshimizu characters but just like Kuroko none of the performances sounded distinctive.

I've never had any problems with Brittany Karbowski as Mikoto and I actually quite liked Micah Solusod as Touma in the Index dub. But with all the problems that the dub has I can't imagine myself enjoying the show nearly as much if I watched it the whole way through in dub form let alone enjoying it more.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:19 am Reply with quote
^ I haven't heard the Railgun dub to compare (I was waiting for the first two cours to come out on Blu-Ray to buy it and now that it is out, I can't afford it at the moment), but, yeah, Satomi Arai's voice as Kuroko is one of my favourite things about the anime. I know she adds some very strange affectations to Kuroko that make her sound a little bit like an old lady, but that's half the charm.

I also love the performance of Rina Satou as Mikoto Misaka/Biribiri, the ultimate electric tsundere, but I'm biased towards any seiyuu that is also a Minami sister on Minami-ke (where Rina Satou plays Haruka Minami).

I haven't actually yet seen the anime version of A Certain Scientific Railgun S (because I'm being a good boy... well, 40-year old man... and I've avoided watching fansubs of it) but I do like the Sisters arc as it appears in the manga and my understanding is that the anime version is more or less identical, since they're both following the light novel beat-by-beat (but with more filler scenes in the anime version, which is fine with me as the slice-of-life stuff is what kept me watching the first season in the first place, as I'm generally not a fan of straight action anime).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 am Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I loved Railgun S (well, the first arc) much more than the first season, but I'm more of an action fan.

I didn't mind less Kuroko, Uiharu, etc. Misaka is my favorite character anyway, and seeing her in some really cool fight scenes was enough for me!

Railgun 1 was cute fun, but this felt like the real deal. Better plot, better animation, a really good music score, more stakes, etc.

And the Sister arc also let the show feature some heavy emotion. I haven't heard the dub, but the Japanese voice acting is great on the emotional front. Really good stuff.

And Accelerator and Toma are both pretty hardcore, when they appear. If Railgun 3 is like S, I hope it comes out very soon!

if it happens it will probably feature the renmant arc with kuroko as the main and of course the daihaseai festival arc. they will definitely show the manga version of railgun if that happens though whether or not they will show parts of the daihaseai festival that appeared during index season II remains to be seen. however even i admit i definitely wouldnt want to see that raging lesbian drooling over misaka's mom anytime soon. if that isnt proof she is one then what is?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Deeply flawed, plot-whole rigged storyline, cheap, childish style in some of ways the story is shown. The story does not deserve better than "C". But overall, due to some other parts of the project being better, it is still a "Good" rating show. For those who can ignore storytelling, there is a lot to like.

What deeply flawed, plot-hole rigged storyline? Care to explain because that doesn't seem to really apply at all.

I have commented on this extensively in this anime's thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122772
Stiles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
I loved Railgun S (well, the first arc) much more than the first season, but I'm more of an action fan.

I didn't mind less Kuroko, Uiharu, etc. Misaka is my favorite character anyway, and seeing her in some really cool fight scenes was enough for me!

Railgun 1 was cute fun, but this felt like the real deal. Better plot, better animation, a really good music score, more stakes, etc.

And the Sister arc also let the show feature some heavy emotion. I haven't heard the dub, but the Japanese voice acting is great on the emotional front. Really good stuff.

And Accelerator and Toma are both pretty hardcore, when they appear. If Railgun 3 is like S, I hope it comes out very soon!

if it happens it will probably feature the renmant arc with kuroko as the main and of course the daihaseai festival arc. they will definitely show the manga version of railgun if that happens though whether or not they will show parts of the daihaseai festival that appeared during index season II remains to be seen. however even i admit i definitely wouldnt want to see that raging lesbian drooling over misaka's mom anytime soon. if that isnt proof she is one then what is?

I doubt Railgun III would bother with the Remnant arc as it is already completely covered in Index II, there really isn't anything to add on to a potential retelling.

If I had to guess, Railgun III will probably cover the Liberal Arts City arc and the second day of the Daihasei Festival, although spoiler[I really don't think it's a good idea to animate the latter before World War III is animated.]

MaxSouth wrote:
SilverTalon01 wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Deeply flawed, plot-whole rigged storyline, cheap, childish style in some of ways the story is shown. The story does not deserve better than "C". But overall, due to some other parts of the project being better, it is still a "Good" rating show. For those who can ignore storytelling, there is a lot to like.

What deeply flawed, plot-hole rigged storyline? Care to explain because that doesn't seem to really apply at all.

I have commented on this extensively in this anime's thread: animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=122772

Except you didn't really debunk anything in that thread, all you did was demonstrate an assumed lack of familiarity with the LN's and a serious lack of suspension of disbelief. The story holds up fine despite your attempts to pick it apart, I'm afraid.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
I did not try to "debunk" anything there. I just pointed out all the cases where viewers had to stretch their imagination beyond belief -- which is criteria for a childish show -- just because authors did not care enough to think through their story better and thought "Who cares? It is just stupid anime, they will eat it!". The level of BS authors have produced is quite remarkable; the writing is very sloppy. And the way some characters are treated is as if the show is for eight year-olds (with some revealing to be evil in the most cheap cardboard caricature theatrics way that villains ever depicted).
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
^ I haven't heard the Railgun dub to compare (I was waiting for the first two cours to come out on Blu-Ray to buy it and now that it is out, I can't afford it at the moment), but, yeah, Satomi Arai's voice as Kuroko is one of my favourite things about the anime. I know she adds some very strange affectations to Kuroko that make her sound a little bit like an old lady, but that's half the charm.

Honestly, the actual dubbing I don't find to be an issue and I generally dislike most dubs (I still prefer the JP VA's). The problem is the dub script is garbage. And by that I don't mean things like Sissy which some people have a problem with. I mean they actually have parts that not only don't match what was originally said but don't match the visuals either... like how according to the dub, Touma reflected back Mikoto's iron sand attack... she didn't say that, he didn't do that in the visuals on screen (the sand just fell to the ground), and his power can't do that.

MaxSouth wrote:

Seeing as how you linked to the start of a 72 page thread (that wasn't started by you) when asked for an example, I'm going to go with Stiles and say you have nothing.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely adore this series. I really like how the lore complements the storylines so naturally.

I think the only issue with Toaru series is that they need way more of the lore shown via animation.

But I really loved Railgun S. A really nice look at the Sisters arcs in animated for. I really want Bluray version...... Bluray IS coming right?....
ThaFallen5oulja

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:44 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
Tenchi wrote:

Honestly, the actual dubbing I don't find to be an issue and I generally dislike most dubs (I still prefer the JP VA's). The problem is the dub script is garbage. And by that I don't mean things like Sissy which some people have a problem with. I mean they actually have parts that not only don't match what was originally said but don't match the visuals either... like how according to the dub, Touma reflected back Mikoto's iron sand attack... she didn't say that, he didn't do that in the visuals on screen (the sand just fell to the ground), and his power can't do that.

MaxSouth wrote:

Seeing as how you linked to the start of a 72 page thread (that wasn't started by you) when asked for an example, I'm going to go with Stiles and say you have nothing.

She said "DEFLECTED" not reflected in the english dub.

de·flect
dəˈflekt/
verb
past tense: deflected; past participle: deflected
cause (something) to change direction by interposing something; turn aside from a straight course.

So your example dosent prove anything.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:01 am Reply with quote
SquadmemberRitsu wrote:
Did you seriously just rate the dub version of Railgun higher than the sub? I don't hate dubs or even the stuff that Funimation usually put out but I really didn't like it.

People always give shit to Funimation because they didn't give Yuno a squeaky high pitched voice in the Future Diary dub but Brina Palencia's performance was really good and very distinctive in its own right. I actually respect the decision they made because it makes the show easier to take seriously. Plus Yuno's performance in the Japanese dub is way, way overrated. That being said, even though it would be near impossible to replicate Satomi Arai's performance, I do not respect the decision to make Kuroko sound like a generic high school girl. I get that playing the character is more important than trying to imitate the Japanese voice and that her performance should be judged on its own merits but there really isn't much to say about her English VA's performance other than it being notably inferior to the Japanese in a lot of ways. Don't get me started on 'Sissy'.

I watched a few episodes of S just to see if it improved in some sections (After all Jerry Jewell took over as ADR Director) but it was pretty much the same issue. Of course they weren't going to change Kuroko's VA mid show so I can't criticise them for that but all the Item Girls sounded really bland. Maybe Erica Mendez's performance in the KLK dub has made me expect too much from English VAs playing Ami Koshimizu characters but just like Kuroko none of the performances sounded distinctive.

I've never had any problems with Brittany Karbowski as Mikoto and I actually quite liked Micah Solusod as Touma in the Index dub. But with all the problems that the dub has I can't imagine myself enjoying the show nearly as much if I watched it the whole way through in dub form let alone enjoying it more.

well that is how it rolls when it comes to funi dubs and at times it works. hell when they first announced the index cast i was under the assumption that either Luci Christian or Kira Saint Vincent Davis (Lucy from Elfen Lied ) would have been chosen as Mikoto since their usually chosen for hard nose female leads & those that have hot tempers like mikoto, and ayres as touma since he have a knack for doing male leads in psudeo harem very well.

Of course there was no doubt Monica Rial would be chosen as Index.That was a given.

However the current cast is actually doing fine. though there are times where the support cast get their character's personality too well towards the point of annoyance which is why the reviewer gave the negative on uiharu's voice being squeaky.

Also "sissy" is what teenagers use to call their older sisters back in the 70's and 80's. "Sissy" , Sissy poo,etc.they were used by siblings in those days.

so yea , while using that quote might make the new gen cringe & who keeps bitching about it, they actually got it right.

also its as i said during the shelf life review. it was kinda a necessary evil of sorts . They shouldn't use "oni-chan" like in the manga or light novels cause this series is one of those where the Japanese honorifics wouldn't sound right.

so like it or not and believe me i don't either , that term is here to stay. luckily it doesn't ruin a very good dub so there should be no fret. though personally i would have hoped that kuroko would have stayed in her mellowed self (thanks to Misuki Shouko "Mental Out" ) and not returned to her raging man hating lesbian self.

Stiles wrote:

I doubt Railgun III would bother with the Remnant arc as it is already completely covered in Index II, there really isn't anything to add on to a potential retelling.

If I had to guess, Railgun III will probably cover the Liberal Arts City arc and the second day of the Daihasei Festival

Actually they would. cause if they follow the manga and do the daihasei festival arc, they would first have to do the remnant arc to explain how kuroko is in a wheelchair in the first place. its even more so for people that like railgun but dont like index. Though you are right about the Liberal Arts City arc and the rest of the daihasei arc which involved shouko and touma (again). However, dont count out that if a railgun III happens that the WWIII arc will have a part in it.

That is if a season three gets the green lit. Especially since fans would rather see a season three of Index or a OVA based of the Accelerator manga.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seiru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Railgun S albeit after watching the first arc I think I will have to start researching Index since it seems that they'll do more tie-ins with their original story.I felt pretty saddened when Saten,Uiharu,and Kuroko didn't make as much of an appearance but it felt right since that made the plot of Misaka being a lone wolf (and a pretty bad decision) advance more to the point of the resolve.This season also showed a more in-depth relationship with how Kuroko cares for Misaka by watching in the side lines which the viewers can tell hurt her.That made me like and miss the whole perv Kuroko even greatly.Even though the first arc had me thinking I have to start researching about Index soon a bit too much I still enjoyed it because we got to see a pretty badass Misaka.I enjoyed the second arc too since it had the gang back and it had the Railgun I and II feel to it which I enjoyed greatly.
Stiles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:10 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Actually they would. cause if they follow the manga and do the daihasei festival arc, they would first have to do the remnant arc to explain how kuroko is in a wheelchair in the first place. its even more so for people that like railgun but don't like index. Though you are right about the Liberal Arts City arc and the rest of the daihasei arc which involved shouko and touma (again). However, don't count out that if a railgun III happens that the WWIII arc will have a part in it.

That is if a season three gets the green lit. Especially since fans would rather see a season three of Index or a OVA based of the Accelerator manga.

Generally speaking, I don't understand for the life of me why some people like Railgun, but not Index. Index is the parent story and actually drives the plot forward. Both seasons of Railgun are mostly side story material and useless filler.

There is no point in wasting Railgun III episodes on the Remnant arc. Again, it is completely covered in Index II and there isn't anything more to add on to it. At the very least, they can include exposition in the form of quick flashbacks in order to bridge the gap.

I'm not sure you actually grasp why I mentioned WWIII so I'll just leave it at that. I'm trying to keep this as spoiler free as possible so yeah, spoiler[I think it's a problem having the second day of the Daihaseisai animated before WWIII is.]

It's all probably irrelevant anyway, we're going to have Index III before any more Railgun. But it's like you said, that's only if it gets green-lit first. Kazuma Miki did say that there will be "another big announcement in the future" so fingers crossed for more Index.

While I do love Accelerator, I think the manga would need to finish its current arc and move forward a bit more before they think about an anime adaptation.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:18 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first season of Index first, then moved on to Railgun. I like Railgun a lot more, but still like Index. So whatever the case it will be win win for me.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:

Generally speaking, I don't understand for the life of me why some people like Railgun, but not Index. Index is the parent story and actually drives the plot forward. Both seasons of Railgun are mostly side story material and useless filler.

I think the primary appeal of Railgun to me, besides the cute girls doing cute things aspect of the filler episodes, is that it reminds me very much of Marvel's New Mutants comic, which I loved as a tween, in tone, with lots of superpowered battles, to be sure, but they were also students at Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters and it portrayed at least a little bit of their academic and student life, moreso than its parent series, The Uncanny X-Men.

In short, spin-off I like more than the parent series reminds me very much of another spin-off I liked more than the parent series.

Although I admit that's not entirely an accurate statement as I haven't really experienced Index at all. I suppose I should watch/read the portion of the A Certain continuity with the magic since, after all, Illyana "Magik" Rasputin was a New Mutant too, but weird nun girls just don't appeal to me as much as tsundere espers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kevinx59

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Stiles wrote:

I started out watching a couple of episodes of Index first, then started checking out some Railgun, and eventually just stayed with Railgun and never finished Index. I just found it much more entertaining, and I like the slice of life elements, as well as the focus on Mikoto and her friends. I don't dislike Index, but I've never gone back around to finishing it.

I liked S, even though the sister's arc moved away from the s.o.l. that drew me to the series in the first place. The stakes were high, the episodes were intense, and the fight scenes were cool (although some of the fights dragged on a bit longer than I would've liked). It's a shame that Kuroko and company had less screen-time (for the record I actually like Kuroko and her crazy antics amuse me). I did prefer the Febri arc more though. I still need to watch the dub, though I like what I've heard so far of it (aside from sissy).

Oh, and as an aside, how much knowledge of Index does one need to know to understand the movie?

Last edited by kevinx59 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3