• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, September 29-October 5

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:17 am Reply with quote
I was wondering where these were, the numbers have been out for weeks and I'm more interested in the week that follows since that had a lot more new releases. And apparently the numbers for SMC are out as well:
*3,651 *1 Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal [BD+DVD]: 2014/10/15

That'd be sort of decent, if it weren't some iconic staple of anime returned after a long absence.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
It's just a Magical Girl show, and considering everything that has come since, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Cardcaptor Sakura, Madoga Magica etc. It is a normality in its own medium.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote
You act as if SM doesn't have this bizarre cult-like following that caused hundreds of non-anime watches to sign up on ANN just some art/popularity contest. Then again, Oricon doesn't track foreign sales so we won't really know how many sales came from international fans. Either way, it's still a high profile title that had heaps of hype proceeded it.
gloverrandal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:40 am Reply with quote
How much of that hype was in Japan originally? To me it seemed the hype mostly came from westerners, probably because Crystal's debut co-insided with Viz re-releasing the series uncut so it double dipped into nostalgia territory.

In Japan, given the fact it was a streaming series, it seemed like they had less faith in it. Presumably because of Pretty Cure, Jewelpet, Aikatsu, and all the other current shoujo series dominating the market.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:56 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I was wondering where these were, the numbers have been out for weeks and I'm more interested in the week that follows since that had a lot more new releases. And apparently the numbers for SMC are out as well:
*3,651 *1 Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal [BD+DVD]: 2014/10/15

That'd be sort of decent, if it weren't some iconic staple of anime returned after a long absence.

Just use another site, seems rather silly to rely on ANN for these kind of numbers.
kasumicc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote
Honestly...what's with ANN's tendency to bring up stuff that's beyond the scope of the actual article? (remembers the F/SN thread) Anyways...

One mistake that I keep seeing repeated in here is this idea that somehow Sailor Moon Crystal is being aimed to the same demography as Precure. That's just...not right. Despite the fact that the manga DID originally aim to that target audience, the producers made it clear that their focus were, indeed, those women who grew with the series, they weren't interested this time on capturing a new audience. As if that weren't clear enough with their (ridiculous, IMO) streaming-only approach.

From what I've seen, hype may not be as loud in Japan as with their Western counterparts, but it's there. It's enough to make merchandise sell out every single time. As for the actual Blu Ray numbers, considering a) the high price of the Blu Ray set (high even for Blu Ray standards) and b) the fact that it only includes 2 episodes per set (and we're talking about a 24 episodes series), I'd say that 3,651 units is pretty much a success.

I don't see that number dropping much lower, considering they're giving lots of extras to encourage people to go for the full set (we would have to wait for future volumes for proper judgement, though). So...good for you, Toei: you suceeded on maximizing profit with minimum effort. Now, if you could just put some of that money back into the show's budget, that would be much appreciated...
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:

Just use another site, seems rather silly to rely on ANN for these kind of numbers.

By another site you mean something's site? Even that guy relies on Oricon.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:43 am Reply with quote
kasumicc wrote:
As for the actual Blu Ray numbers, considering a) the high price of the Blu Ray set (high even for Blu Ray standards) and b) the fact that it only includes 2 episodes per set (and we're talking about a 24 episodes series), I'd say that 3,651 units is pretty much a success.

Are you comparing it to Western BD releases or Japanese? Two episodes a disc is standard (the need for you to italicize that point makes me want to think you're not accustomed to this), as is a cost of 60-70 bucks per unit. So no, 3,650 doesn't make it any more a success than than the several series that sold far better.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:53 am Reply with quote
The Average price for a 2-disc volume seems around 7k to 8.0k yen. So yes, its indeed nothing special for a 2-disc volume(YuYuYu v1 is 8.1k yen). Chaika S2 v1 is 8.2k yen, so its not even the most expansive 2-disc volume of 2014.

darkchibi07 wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

By another site you mean something's site? Even that guy relies on Oricon.

Yes, or MAL(or its news club if MAL is being slow).

The thing is, ANN is behind 2 weeks on posting the sales. The other 2 weeks are already up on the other usual sites.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
Hoping that Kawai Complex sells some more copies...

Happy to see Nozaki-kun vol 1 getting close to 9k!
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:08 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Hoping that Kawai Complex sells some more copies...

Happy to see Nozaki-kun vol 1 getting close to 9k!

It already sold over 14.8k copies for v1(9.5k on BD)
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:48 am Reply with quote
I'm glad that GochiUsa is doing so good.

Gekkan Shoujo is something of a surprise, nice series but didn't imagine it'd rank that well, even beating the likes of NGNL...
Minimimiau

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote
I am watching that most people prefer the BD version of their favourite anime than the DVD
kasumicc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
kasumicc wrote:
As for the actual Blu Ray numbers, considering a) the high price of the Blu Ray set (high even for Blu Ray standards) and b) the fact that it only includes 2 episodes per set (and we're talking about a 24 episodes series), I'd say that 3,651 units is pretty much a success.

Are you comparing it to Western BD releases or Japanese? Two episodes a disc is standard (the need for you to italicize that point makes me want to think you're not accustomed to this), as is a cost of 60-70 bucks per unit. So no, 3,650 doesn't make it any more a success than than the several series that sold far better.

And your measure for success is...what. NGNL? Mahouka? Love Live, perhaps? It comes to my mind the numbers of the first Symphogear season, which also sold around 3k-4k average. "Average" were the words back then, yet it still guaranteed a second season soon after and it's a known fact by now that the franchise DOES sell. And yes, I did feel the need to italicize it because 2 episodes per disc is not quite the norm for shows that have been stablished from the beginning as 2-cour series. Chaika S2 is 1-cour, so it's not the best example to compare. And yes, I'm talking about Japan.

I'd say that any show, regarding the hype, getting 3k-4k meets expectations. If that fails to meet expectations of ANN users, well...I don't know what expectations they had to begin, but expecting 8k-10k from a low budget, low profile series from Toei, of all things? Honestly, I just don't get the need to keep bashing this series just for the sake of it. It's been a while already; we get it, you don't like it. Just let it be. Toei sure is getting their money, anyways.

Back to the article...pleased with Nozaki's numbers; other than that, not much of a surprise.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Symphogear got a 2nd season because of Nana's music sales, not because of the disc sales.

And how do you know 3-4k was what they expected? Sure, it migth end up with average of 2-3k BD(+ another 500 DVDs, once they come out), which is around the mean average. But we do not know whether those numbers are within the exceptions or not.

Last edited by Rederoin on Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2