• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yona of the Dawn (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

If I had to give a major complaint, it would be that the music is way too loud. There is wanting to show off your music score, and then there is the volume of music louder than people speaking.

Anyway, I enjoyed the episode. Even looking at the pasts was fun despite I would usually think of it as corny, it pulled me through the motions quite well.
Hikari14

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I just watched the episode and I must say that I hate the villain with a passion.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I don't care that we haven't met a third of the cast yet.

Cause Hak's the best guy in this show, no doubt. :p And Yona better figure that out....well, I'm pretty sure she will...but I hope it's sooner than later, else I'll start fidgeting. lol
xyz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't care too much for the flashback maybe because I'm more interested in seeing present progress between Hak and Princess. I don't find the story all that interesting but I will stick around to see Hak gets the girl.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:57 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
If I had to give a major complaint, it would be that the music is way too loud. There is wanting to show off your music score, and then there is the volume of music louder than people speaking.

This, so much. The OP is way OP, and I about jumped out of my skin when the music blasted on when Hak was arguing with Gramps.

I usually only have this problem with some Funimation dvds. It's very distracting to have to keep adjusting the volume.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote
I really like how this show is taking its time and providing insight into the characters before it starts the heavy action. I love how they are depicting the impact of Yona's trauma. She's in shock and she should be; any other reaction would be unrealistic. I also like how it's shifting perspectives. We got to know Yona's thoughts in ep 1, and took a look inside Hak's head in ep 3. The flashbacks are important in establishing the relationships between the characters. Ep 3 in particular reinforced how Hak was just as betrayed by Soo-Won as Yona was, they were *all* good friends growing up.

I love epic, action filled shoujo anime and manga (Fushigi Yugi: Genbu Kaiden! Basara! The Twelve Kingdoms! Moribito!) And this has the makings of a good one so far. (Confession: I never read the entirety of the original Fushigi Yugi, but that's okay because I liked Genbu Kaiden much better, anyway).

For some reason, these stories are rarely adapted into anime and American manga publishers, frusteratingly, have basically given up on them (or basically any shoujo that's not a romance first and foremost). I have high expectations for this show to fill the void, and I really hope it doesn't disappoint.

Fun Fact: "Yona" is a Hebrew name that means "Dove." So I keep thinking the title is "Dawn of the Dove," which is a kind of awesome coincidence! Smile
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
I generally really enjoy these shoujo type shows. This one intrigues me to a certain degree. However, to be honest, I fell asleep during the first episode Confused
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
(Confession: I never read the entirety of the original Fushigi Yugi,

Oh you are missing nothing. ..........except aggravation, perhaps.

Quote:
but that's okay because I liked Genbu Kaiden much better, anyway).

Yep, GK is way way WAY better!

Quote:
I fell asleep during the first episode

....whoa....well um....it does get better as it goes.....? Anime hyper;
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:28 am Reply with quote
You know, now that this show has gotten going, it's really pretty good. Yeah, there's still some comedy relief that's pretty typical and unfunny and Yona is completely useless right now but it is looking like that will at least change eventually and all things considered the rest of the show seems pretty well executed. For what they are, the characters are well developed and the plot actually has a nice twist to it. Yona and Hak have some chemistry with eachother. Also, as much as it has contributed to the Yona as baggage issue, I quite like how the show is handling the death of her father as a seriously traumatic event and not just a launching point for the story. They also do a nice job capturing just what a shock it is just to be living out in the woods instead of in a castle.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:32 am Reply with quote
Episode 4:

A bit of a slower episode but I think it was alright considering they introduced spoiler[Hak's younger brother and potentially what's to come soon. Yona going by the name of Rina though? Hmm....]

I hope the girl gets a bit stronger soon though also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4: Rina is also a Hebrew girl's name; means "joy.". I wonder if the mangaka chose Hebrew names for the princess on purpose...

spoiler[Lots of political intrigue in this ep. I did not expect Won-Soo to put all the blame on Hak and request *permission* for the throne outright: it's an interesting move. It seems he has the full support of the Fire tribe, with the Fire General in on the whole plot. Hak's decision to leave Yona and go on the run is brave and completely logical. Everyone is acting logically, trying to weather the storm and get what they want without risking a civil war. Except for that one Fire noble guy who wanted to marry Yona.]

Speculation based on next ep preview spoiler[stuff will hit the fan when the situation between the Wind and Fire tribes turn more violent. Yona shows her strength when she refuses to let Hak leave without her.]

Best line of the ep: spoiler["They killed Han-Dae!" (Han Dae sitting right there, a bit injured but very much alive)]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

I see this episode as a start of a turning for Yona, she has spoiler[met the Wind Clan and they have helped her recuperate.] She is seeing that other spoiler[people can be affected, and is caring about them, and is starting to want to do something]. I saw Hak's decision to spoiler[give in to help his people was pretty good]. By next episode it looks like we will see her spoiler[wilfully leave the comfort of the village to follow Hak, which will probably start them collecting generals, and Yona learning some fighting skills].

We see our villains, the spoiler[fire clan]. It is always the spoiler[fire people], they pretty much look like the Fire spoiler[Nation citizens]. You can't really blame the guy who was just following orders.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:16 am Reply with quote
Can't blame the guy following orders, but the guy who wanted to screw over the Wind tribe by spoiler[having the merchants beaten and making it look like bandits did it (not that any of the Wind peeps were dumb enough to fall for that)? Can totally blame him. Hope he gets it next ep for escalating things against the Fire general's orders.]

I agree that this'll be a major turning point for Yona. It was all well done. One thing I didn't get spoiler[when the Wind General Grandpa came back, he hugged Yona and called her princess out loud outdoors in front of a bunch of tribespeople. Why didn't this blow "Rina's" cover? Do the people still think she's a lady-in-waiting, or are they playing ignorant for her and Hak's sake?]
Dessa

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:46 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
One thing I didn't get spoiler[when the Wind General Grandpa came back, he hugged Yona and called her princess out loud outdoors in front of a bunch of tribespeople. Why didn't this blow "Rina's" cover? Do the people still think she's a lady-in-waiting, or are they playing ignorant for her and Hak's sake?]

While yes, I expected from that scene that spoiler[Hak would tell everyone the secret], I can see this a couple ways.

1) spoiler[The general was speaking quietly enough that only Hak and Yona could hear him, the raised volume of the voice acting was for the viewers' benefit.]
2) spoiler[Privacy: Even if they heard part of it (I'm convinced that #1 is at least partially right, and that they at least couldn't fully hear what was being said, standing back as far as they were), they're not gonna in Rina/Yona's privacy and ask for the reason]
3) Going along with #2, spoiler[if anyone did ask Hak, he told them to not ask, so that they'd have plausible deniability.]
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm more puzzled at how all the tribes spoiler[expect for wind immediately accepted Soo-won as the king. I understand that the fire tribe is working with Soo-won, but what about the rest? While I understand that someone has to lead the country while the princess is missing, but shouldn't finding Yona be the priority, who from what we know so far is the only descendant of the king? Atleast I think she is, I might be wrong on that. Are the other tribes allied with Soo-won or what?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 30