• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Trinity Seven (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote

Trinity Seven (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, magic, romance

Based off of the manga written by Kenji Saito

Plot Summary: Everyday is a normal day in the small town where Kasuga Arata lives; however, everything changed on the day of the Black Sun, and following it, a magician appears before him. The Black Sun caused the Breakdown Phenomenon which destroyed the town where he lives. Because of this, his normal life was artificially reconstructed by a Grimoire that his childhood friend had left. Just what is the purpose of the magician coming to the town? What will he do with the Grimoire's keepsake? -MAL

PV video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DO49_W622Rs
----------------------------------

The soundtrack seems to be decent not to mention there are four different ED songs. From what I know, the MC is actually pretty badass who is not shy about what he thinks. The series has magic as an element so expect action. I just hope they don’t skip too much material though.

Casting wise, I think it’s fine so far as long as they keep the characters’ personalities in tact.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1:

Hmm, the episode felt fast. It's probably because they introduced most of the main characters including spoiler[Arata, Lilith, etc. Well at any rate, it was more of a setup episode so I expect more soon.]

The spoiler[ninja chick] is cool though. I need to see more of her and the theme songs are catchy enough so far. I think the show is confirmed to be a 1 cour today so they better not leave out the important stuff..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
OMG! I just realized that I've read a few chapters of this manga a while back.
I dropped that 'cause all of the girls & harem thing.
Looks like the anime is sticking to the story so far.
Somehow, it's kinda better as an anime, go figure.
Might give it a few more episodes.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
And I will spoiler[recreate the world... but shirts are going to be unreasonably short. Because, while I'm at it... why not?]

I do enjoy shows with absurd reactions to absurdity, so the show punches the correct funny bones for me. And this has definitely been my favorite season on the "walking-in-on-girls-naked" quality measure.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
While this show does spend most of it's time mired in mediocrity it seems like there's enough stuff going on that it might get better later. It doesn't try too hard to push the harem angle so far so if the series can keep it's semi-serious tone it might be able to elevate itself past it's current meh-ness.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:11 am Reply with quote
Episode1

Yes, that is how you make a lead for a harem like situation. If a series is going to dip itself into hot girl territory with a tough guy, make the guy actually smart, somewhat humorously cocky, and just roll with the scenes like walk ins. So far I am reminded of Izayoi from Mondaiji Tachi, both spoiler[openly say what they are interested in, quickly make friends with the pervert girl, tease the innocent one, and not afraid to create trouble for some fun].

They were kind of hiding it well, but that grimoire is totally voiced by the tsundere queen herself, I thought when I heard her speak it was clear, but later in the episode was not quite.

Well I am interested, and I really hope it does not go the way of a harem, spoiler[he already has a girl and he is trying to save her].
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2:

Besides Levi, I think the other girl to watch out for the most would be Arin. Well, I guess it would be difficult since she looks like his friend by physical appearance.

Anyways, the first half of the episode was silly but then spoiler[Akio and her friend showed up. Yeah, this is not going to end pretty although I don't think Arata will die from that kick.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Episode ends with spoiler[cliff hanger that looks like he will die], which is followed by a preview of what spoiler[looks like a hot spring episode]. Seems legit.

After this episode I am super into the series. The main character is awesome, from him teasing, acting cool, and still acting the straight man not being ignorant of others needs. Although he is not always the straight man, and I think that is important. One of my favourite parts of the episode was when the spoiler[super goofy headmaster crashed through the window when mentioned, Arata Arin and decided to ignore it and look for an actual straight man (Lilith)]. I think that it oozes fun when the lead will just roll with the odd questions and pervert accusations, and tease the innocent straight man because its fun.

I was thinking Arata might only be noticeable because of the grimoire, which is awesomely voiced, but with what spoiler[Arin thinks and the end of the episode, it looks like he might be the real deal]. I get the feeling that Hijiri spoiler[must have purposely been around him, she may have known of what he is, and it could actually be that he was the cause of the black sun that made the people disappear]. I kind of want more guys in this series, afraid that it will be too harem like, although I think some recent shows were not bad examples, looks like we will have the headmaster at least. And I think Arata is worth a couple guys.

On a final note, I found the whole spoiler[three girls needing to pee thing] was better done here than it was in Rogue Hero.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:20 am Reply with quote
Oh god this episode just took everything I hate about harem anime and then tortured those gags to the point I forgot why the first episode had any kind of impact on me. Doesn't help that the animation is crap and it can't even keep consistent artwork in the same frame.

I actually was interested in the plot at first. But the writers decided instead of building on it or explaining the world in any way, which the spoiler[barrier scene] was perfect for, they chose to make a long drawn out tortured spoiler[pee joke instead and give Arata a fetish for it too, ugh]. I know it won't happen but I seriously want Arata to spoiler[get his stupid face kicked in and then maybe we can have a better protagonist]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote
Plasmaeclipse wrote:
I know it won't happen but I seriously want Arata to spoiler[get his stupid face kicked in and then maybe we can have a better protagonist]

A better protagonist? The guy does not get full on embarrassed from accidentally ending up in bad situation and then get beaten up over. Instead he goes with it and acts normal, followed by only acting the straight man when it goes a step too far. He is not some weak willed cherry boy that is just pushed around by those around him, no he will push the situation and bring other down with him if something does happen.

Instead of being terribly embarrassed by the situation he laments, but still be genuinely worried about them, and afterwards play it off that it was a little fun. The fact that he is not full pansy, full pervert, or full emotionless robot, makes him a pretty good protagonist. I really think he has some of the best aspects if each, as the pervert he plays the part of lowering tension, as the pansy he shows concern for others, and as the robot he keeps cool does not instantly make a big deal of something.

I would say it is wrong to say that he was having a fetish over the situation. If you want to see what that kind of protagonist is like, then check out Majimoji Rurumo, High School DxD, So I Can't Play H. Arata has so far been quite different.
Plasmaeclipse

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:01 am Reply with quote
Having Arata embody cliche harem tropes in a lesser degree does not make him a better protagonist it makes seem like an immature idiot who doesn't understand the concept of "time and place". His perverted tenancies creep up at the wrong times and instead of alleviating tension it kills the tension cold. I don't feel like it's a normal reaction to go along with it. He just goes to the opposite extreme of the shy embarrassed guy he's the shameless smug pervert protagonist. I would have just gotten pissed off at the girls during the barrier scene and started screaming "tell me how barriers work so we can get out of here you morons"
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:48 am Reply with quote
He certainly got a lot of attention.
Those girls are so each others competition..
The fan service parts were good, not too in-the-face.
Those kids sure have an interesting way to treat the headmaster.
This was as far as I got with the manga as well.
Skipping this after all.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:

Welp, and spoiler[Arata got lucky to survived Akio's attack. More importantly is that he also meets Yui in the dream world. I'll just say that she is a much cuter version of Freddy Krueger.]

Second half of the episode got a bit silly imo with the delusions. spoiler[Levi especially had too much fun this episode along with Arata. The latter might knows more than what he letting on though with his ability at the end there.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:46 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Well unlike Issei, Arata's spoiler[move did not purposely destroy clothes, its actually purpose is far more impressive, but currently unwieldy that it affects himself too]. That automatically makes him a better character, really kind of makes him closer to spoiler[Touma] in terms of what it actually does. I am sure people will complain that he is acting like a lusting pervert, but it is incredibly obvious that he is playing the fool. He did not go full nosebleed drooling over spoiler[clothes disappearing], he even asked if he spoiler[should use it again, which looked to be a case of doing it because she bound him]. In the bath it was also clear that his actual goal is eating him up inside.

I continue to think he is a great protagonist as he has a healthy amount of genre savviness. He kind of makes me think of Sugisaki Ken in that he clearly has no actual intention, and even his talk of harem is a joke, which will probably become ironic.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

Pretty action oriented episode. Good to see spoiler[most of the girls getting involved. It looks like Yui joins with Arata too by the end and lol, I think the other girls got some competition now.]

spoiler[Onee-chan huh?]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3