• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Manga Dogs GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, Pixie Pop, never heard of that one before. I really enjoyed I Am Here! (even though Teru got on my nerves), so I'm up for check out more of Ema Toyama's work. And, after a quick look around, copies are easy enough to find. Laughing

On Manga Dogs, I'm a bit on the fence. While this review sounds good, I'm still kind of new to manga and don't really know very much about the production side of things. So, I'd guess that the humour would really go over my head. Laughing

Good thing for this series is that it was in NYT's top 10 manga, I was surprised when I saw it there.

After reading this review, I'll be buying Pixie Pop, that premise sounds hilarious. On Manga Dogs, I'll probably wait on the series to be released by Kodansha and read reviews on volumes 2 and 3. With the series being short, and the fact that there is little to no information out there (that I can find) about material covered in the final volume, I'm hesitant in buying this one...especially if most of the humour will be things that I know little about.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote
This sounds interesting, but I'll probably wait for all three volumes to come out before buying it. I am always fascinated by series which deal with the production side of making manga and anime.
nichtejager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
The jokes in Manga Dogs vol 1 weren't really related to manga production. There was the obligatory "need to make my deadline" chapter, and things like a teacher trying to over-educate on screen tones where even the fledgling "sensei" started to question course goals.

The laughs aren't as over-your-head as the review indicated either. You don't have to be an otaku guru to know what 'moe' is or understand how an introverted teen girl suddenly surrounded by three good looking (but slightly dull-witted) guys clamoring for her attention can be knocked off her game - notably when they go shirtless...lol! One of my favorite chapters was when she snaps and gives them pen names, and the junior geniuses happily use them in public - repeatedly. She feels shame...for about three pages. *chuckles* The book is total gold. Can't wait for the rest, so far it's wicked good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1