• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Kure-nai Novel Volume in 6 Years Unveiled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:30 am Reply with quote
Oh wow, I almost forgot about this. I read the manga version of it about a year ago so kinda curious to see where the novel has been going.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:14 am Reply with quote
I loved the anime!
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Forgot how much I LOVE Kurenai...not a visual tour de force but the anime won me over with its back-and-forth banter and its fluid motions. I need to rewatch this to see how well it holds up.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote
Good news, I want moar Kure-nai anime, even with the artwork of the anime was different it still worked for me.

And give us Denpa teki na Kanojo third episode already. They skipped one chapter.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
I hope they do more OVAs or another series.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
From what I'm told the anime is a different beast from the manga (and novels as well I'm pretty sure) and from what I've seen of the manga which is closer to the novels, it is pretty bad compared to the anime. The dialogue is juvenile with a lot of needlessly perverse and crude moments, it lacks the depth and heart of anime and just kind of strings together each arc without much weighty importance.

For example (for those who have seen the anime): spoiler[ in the final third of the anime there's the storming of the Kuhoin manor as Shinkuro tries to meet with Murasaki again to hear her true feelings and it all leads up to a final ideological confrontation between Shinkuro and the father about whether Murasaki should be a free woman with the changing times or be bound to the inclusive Kuhoin rituals with some grey areas in each (don't want to ramble on it though) but ultimately coming to the compromise that Murasaki (of her own volition) will live at home again but Shinkuro (and herself?) are allowed to come and go and she can marry whoever she chooses while she tries to rekindle the fractured bonds with her father after their strained relationship in him struggling to uphold the family's traditions against his will. Meanwhile in the manga it is not some archaic looking cottage (tying in with the themes) but some big skyscraper that Shinkuro and Benika storm through, and they confront her father saying that Murasaki should be free, and without much trepidation, he just LETS HER GO with Shinkuro completely then leaves. It just feels so careless and forced like the series is trying to be this big action saga that has to rush through each arc to try and change it up and keep your attention without actually having any emotional power, it was really upsetting. ]

This is like an 8 chapter arc near the beginning (after a few in media res chapters) which the anime really made its own as a compact and poignant little story that feels perfectly complete on its own, and seeing this news about a new novel just further solidifies how I feel the source material lacks focus and just keeps elongating itself. Maybe I'm biting out a bit more than I can chew since I'm not 100% certain on how close the manga is to the novels (same team on both though if I recall) but the manga made me upset and I gave up after a few arcs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
The anime is VERY different form the manga is comes recommended.
The manga was a shonen harem show with no end so that one doesn´t.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I've heard of Kure-nai, but had no idea that the novels were still going. Or that it's been six years between volumes.

Read the review ANN did of the anime...and I think that I'll be on the look out for a copy of Sentai's release (though it's disappointing to see that the OVAs weren't included, though I have no idea if they're any good).
Samo2222

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
It would be a miracle if Denpa teki na Kanojo had a return in the future, but it's great to know that Katayama hasn't stopped his works completely when they're so enjoyable.
Angel'sArcanum

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
I've heard of Kure-nai, but had no idea that the novels were still going. Or that it's been six years between volumes.

Read the review ANN did of the anime...and I think that I'll be on the look out for a copy of Sentai's release (though it's disappointing to see that the OVAs weren't included, though I have no idea if they're any good).

The OVAs are mostly just fanservice for manga fans, and with that said the characterization and designs are different, so it doesn't really follow the same continuity. I haven't seen them myself, but reading a synopsis on them they are just fun little bits. I wholly recommend the core anime though, it's my #3 actually. Some people don't seem to like the ending of the series but the only arguments I've read for a different ending aren't progressive and are really stupid, ruining the morals of the series, but I find it is absolutely perfect and couldn't have been done any other way, and other arguments I've seen for the series as a whole never elaborated on why they disliked it. There may be the odd logic slip that's really minor towards the very hectic last act, but they don't detract that much considering how much of a tour de force it is, so my complaints are very insignificant. The action is visceral, the dialogue is very realistic with tender, witty and perfectly timed banter, the slice of life elements are thorough and warm and the themes are quite fresh. Incredibly underrated in my book.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote
Angel'sArcanum wrote:
The OVAs are mostly just fanservice for manga fans, and with that said the characterization and designs are different, so it doesn't really follow the same continuity. I haven't seen them myself, but reading a synopsis on them they are just fun little bits.

Ah, good to know. No longer disappointed!

Angel'sArcanum wrote:
I wholly recommend the core anime though, it's my #3 actually. Some people don't seem to like the ending of the series but the only arguments I've read for a different ending aren't progressive and are really stupid, ruining the morals of the series, but I find it is absolutely perfect and couldn't have been done any other way, and other arguments I've seen for the series as a whole never elaborated on why they disliked it. There may be the odd logic slip that's really minor towards the very hectic last act, but they don't detract that much considering how much of a tour de force it is, so my complaints are very insignificant. The action is visceral, the dialogue is very realistic with tender, witty and perfectly timed banter, the slice of life elements are thorough and warm and the themes are quite fresh. Incredibly underrated in my book.

Aaaaaaaaand I bought it through rightstuf. Laughing
nichtejager

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 am Reply with quote
Takamachi Ryoko wrote:

And give us Denpa teki na Kanojo third episode already. They skipped one chapter.

omg... YES!!! I watch those OVAs every few months just to remind myself how awesome they truly were.

But, ahem, also agree more Kure-nai is a wonderful present, too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1