• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gundam Build Fighters Try

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
One little thing, I've been following GBFT discussions on some other forums and according to one, Build Burning isn't supposed to be a G-Gundam reference, they hadn't realized that was the name the mech had in the US!

Yeah, that is either total BS or everyone but the one guy who said it knew. Its obvious from the design and then also what another poster pointed out.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Every time I see people talking about Gundam BF it's dismissed as a toy commercial, so I'm glad to see it have sine praise is this review and on the forums. It's such a fun show that handles itself better than other toyetic shows.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Hagaren Viper wrote:
Every time I see people talking about Gundam BF it's dismissed as a toy commercial, so I'm glad to see it have sine praise is this review and on the forums. It's such a fun show that handles itself better than other toyetic shows.

I doubt those people actually watched it or like gundam. It had better characters and writing than AGE at the very least. And depending on how G-Reco turns out, Try might be the better gundam this season.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:25 am Reply with quote
So far, I like first Build Fighter series better at the moment. It's too early tell, this isn't a drama its athletic/comedy/sci-fi show.

I'm little concern about lead character not being able to work on his own Gunpla, he using previous character's creation. What if thing breaks? Be dramatic if it does.

Love interest thing is little silly, kid totally clueless about the crush.

Just enjoying the ride.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Wrangler wrote:
I'm little concern about lead character not being able to work on his own Gunpla, he using previous character's creation. What if thing breaks? Be dramatic if it does.

Probably the new blue haired kid will fix it for the new red haired kid just like the old blue haired kid fixed it for the old red haired kid. Or maybe Iori will, but it would be silly if somehow learns how to build/repair a top level gunpla in a very short amount of time.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Ok, clearly the creators of GBFT got together and did a marketing session, and it worked. Big Time!
I skirt around Gundam canon so I know some but not alot but I LOVE this season with the female lead. It's fun and it does feel little more inclusive for me as a girl watching it. Plus, they added the adorable shota and a megane so they clearly know their target audience.
MexicanAnime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:37 am Reply with quote
I think the lack of magic from the fourth episode may have come from the new side characters, as they don't seem to have any real charm to them at the moment. While the first season didn't have overy complex character by any means, I was excited to see them play off with the main characters where as these feel way too standard and overdone that I couldn't get into it.

As for the particles, I believe it showed Nils from last season being the one who was able to find a substitute/alternate for the particles, so that Gunpla battles could continue.

Overall the episode was pretty well done and you have to give the animators a lot of credit for making people excited to see SD Gundams duke it out, given their reception
laureninspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote
MexicanAnime wrote:
As for the particles, I believe it showed Nils from last season being the one who was able to find a substitute/alternate for the particles, so that Gunpla battles could continue.

Sounds like I need to rewatch! I thought that giant explosion at the end, not to mention the mind-control capabilities of Plavsky particles, led Nils to think they were dangerous. But yeah, I could have forgotten.
MexicanAnime

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 pm Reply with quote
laureninspace wrote:
MexicanAnime wrote:

Sounds like I need to rewatch! I thought that giant explosion at the end, not to mention the mind-control capabilities of Plavsky particles, led Nils to think they were dangerous. But yeah, I could have forgotten.

Don't worry, I don't blame you for missing it considering it's only one short shot that doesn't go into too much detail. If you were watching it on the official YT channel, it didn't really translate it either. Here's a rough screenshot I just took from it.

http://i.imgur.com/4pVuX1H.png
Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope the rest of season gets better than episode 3. God, it felt like a huge Gunpla commercial with dabbling of plot/story in-between.

I know this show is mainly a entertaining Infomercial, but I think this episode really wallops the viewer over the head with the point.

It just doesn't feel a dramatic or flows as well as it did in 1st season/series. Its going Try be good show, hopefully it will get better than this episode, despite the laughs and nice animation.
AmuroNT1

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the re-invention of the Plavsky Particle happens as Nils and Caroline's portion of the "where are they now?" segment at the end of the original series. It can be kind of easy to miss, as MexicanAnime noted.

While I do agree that this episode was kind of weak plot-wise, I did enjoy the character-building aspects of it, for example giving Mirai more character depth. Don't get me wrong, I love Mirai (Aya Endo characters are usually awesome), but all she really did in the first three episodes was be unfathomably beautiful for the sake of some comedy beats like Yuuma's crush on her. Even in the very tropish role of the incredibly obvious date-spy, it showed a much more human side to a character who thus far has been portrayed as the series' resident Helen of Troy. It's probably the most development she's gotten all show, aside from the little home sequence in Episode 2 where we see that she does have an honest interest in Sekai's life and hobbies rather than just being aloof and detached.

There's been a bit of debate where I hang out over how Try is heading in a little more of a standard Shonen anime direction, and how some viewers don't the cavalcade of antagonistic enemy teams introduced this week. This is especially in comparison to the original show, where the vast majority of Sei and Reiji's opponents were whole-heartedly good people who loved Gunpla as much as them and easily became friends when off of the battlefield. Ironically, this attitude lines up pretty well with G Gundam, which Try is homaging a lot more than the original series. But I don't mind the idea that there are some people you CAN'T just befriend by beating them in a fair fight, because that's just the way it works sometimes. Besides, rather than introducing all the rivals as good guys first, perhaps we're going to get to see them develop in that direction, much in the same fashion as sports anime like Eyeshield 21.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
This episode indeed was a letdown, but if the purpose was to sell us on SD kits being good, that worked! Will I be able to take an SD kit fighting a regular one seriously later on? Maybe.

This episode was merely a distraction until Gyanko can return.
laureninspace

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote
H. Guderian wrote:
This episode was merely a distraction until Gyanko can return.

Now here's a fan after my own heart. Is Gyanko best girl of the year? All signs point to yes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote
I need to finish Gundam AGE faster so I can get to the first season and this.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I need to finish Gundam AGE faster so I can get to the first season and this.

Or better yet, you could just skip AGE entirely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7