• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Madoka Magica Manga Spinoff Puella Magi Suzune Magica to End

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiranehito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:32 am Reply with quote
Weirdest thing is that I've never heard of this spin-off before and suddenly it ended. What.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:04 am Reply with quote
Yen will probably get it eventually.
Juno016

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:12 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
Weirdest thing is that I've never heard of this spin-off before and suddenly it ended. What.

You'd have to be following the plethora of serialized Madoka spin-offs in the Kirara Magica magazine to know. Most of them are just comedic spin-offs involving the main cast, but there are a few non-Madoka-cast ones, like Suzune, Oriko, Kazumi, and Tart. Tart (Joan d'Arc) and Suzune are the current-ongoing series and with Suzune ending, Tart will be the only one left until they announce another one.

I've been reading them and Suzune hasn't been all THAT exciting... Tart slightly more so...
glowingdawn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:31 am Reply with quote
I really hope Yen Press continues releasing the Madoka books as they have been. I have all of the English releases of the manga and the people over at Yen Press are doing a great job with like every page of the book.
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:34 pm Reply with quote
I know the original series dealt with the death of magical girls at the hands of their peers but it seems like some of these different spin-offs are way too in love with the idea of magical girls killing one another. It seems like a rather shallow attempt to keep these stories inside the "dark" world of the series.

I haven't caught up with this one recently but I'll have to read it all once it comes out and see what it does for me.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:15 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Yen will probably get it eventually.

hopefully so. though my big surprise is that none of these spinoffs dont even have their own OVA or any 13 ep series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Juno016

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote
amagee wrote:
I know the original series dealt with the death of magical girls at the hands of their peers but it seems like some of these different spin-offs are way too in love with the idea of magical girls killing one another. It seems like a rather shallow attempt to keep these stories inside the "dark" world of the series.

The non-Madoka-cast spin-offs do carry their own merit in most cases, but when you get down to it, they're mostly just somewhat mature stories dressed in "dark" elements involving Magical Girl slaughter, "shocking" (but predictable or out-of-nowhere) spoiler[Witch translformations], and other twists with psychopathic girls at the helm. Merits or not, that aspect of them somewhat defeat the purpose of trying to have more mature content because they cover themselves with childish bloodshed.
At the very least, though, they ARE interesting reads and sometimes do present respectful stories worthy of the Puella Magi title (whatever makes them "worthy"). Just nothing comparable to the stuff that started it all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1