• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: More Characters Join MAG's Fight Against Piracy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:
[HorribleSubs rips came] from pirates, I know, but if it's the only route available to get anime, I'll take it.

At the very least, I'm happy my money is (eventually) going to the creators and not some middle man, legal or otherwise.

The existence of HorribleSubs rips for a given show means that there must be a legal stream for that show, which kind of conflicts with your claim that "there was no legal way to see the series beforehand."

Well, besides having friends in a country that broadcasts it.
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:

Well, besides having friends in a country that broadcasts it.

uh dude, you got Crunchyroll (which is avaliable in Canada for a long time), so how can you not be aware of this? Also I send you a PM (Private message), I want to talk to you about some of your previous posts and your way of thinking.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
americananimotk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to own the anime I watch, so downloading anime onto my hard drive is pretty much a temporary means anyway. Not to mention it tends take up a lot of space.
phifedawg

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:36 pm Reply with quote
MidoriUma wrote:
Pirating is good for the industry, not bad.

so do you think the industry, the people who actually have a real stake in this, are idiots? if piracy was good they would be encouraging it, or turning a blind eye. they wouldn't be spending time and money fighting it.

MidoriUma wrote:
At the very least, I'm happy my money is (eventually) going to the creators and not some middle man, legal or otherwise.

you apologists always roll out the "middleman" line. dont you realize that even within Japan people get paid to publish and distribute things they didn't create? thats how the entertainment industry works.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:44 am Reply with quote
phifedawg wrote:
MidoriUma wrote:

Pirating is good for the industry, not bad.

so do you think the industry, the people who actually have a real stake in this, are idiots? if piracy was good they would be encouraging it, or turning a blind eye.

If I was the industry, I'd only put in the series as lowest money as could be afforded, then charge up the wazoo on the merchandise........... Then it wouldn't matter as much if they pirate the series since it won't cost that much, while making the money back thru the merch and then some........... Hmmmmmmm...............
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:01 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:

You're not alone, another user posted a similar stance just like yours:

That reminds me of this TED Talks video I watched a while back about piracy; it doesn't necessarily apply to anime but talks about the misuse of statistics to propagate an agenda. Not that I mean that this is the case here.

As for my thoughts on the article, I have a complicate stance on piracy with the whole idea that if a show isn't licensed at my location and I do pirate it, I'm not hurting the market because there isn't a market for the show here [yet]. But then there's this whole other ordeal of me still pirating (but not archiving) shows even when they are licensed here -- I still maintain a subscription to the site that did license the show, though. I do support the industry though by mainly purchasing figurines not that this justifies me pirating; it's just that I'm not a total leech.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:08 am Reply with quote
Piracy has had literally no effect on how much I spend on anime. It has had an effect on the sort of anime I buy (If I download a show and think it's shit I won't buy and vice versa) but I still have a CR membership and buy anime on a regular basis.

I buy most of my anime locally and I respect the people who make those shows available to me. I buy it first and foremost for my own personal viewing so half the time I don't even think about whether or not it supports the industry. But honestly I don't see how that makes me a bad person. Why would I want to spend hundreds of dollars on overpriced Blu-rays with no subtitles or dub?

The fact that they've launched this campaign is proof that the money I'm giving to them through Crunchyroll and whatnot does matter (If only a little bit) contrary to what many freeloaders had tried to make me believe with the statistics they pulled from their ass to paint CR as the bad guys. I think the sort of people who haven't bought anything anime related in their life and watch everything illegally probably need to stop what they're doing especially if they think they can justify it morally.

That being said I don't think you can even dispute that piracy has helped the anime industry more than it's hurt. After all, Crunchyroll got its start charging people to view illegal fansubbed anime that were given away for free by other people (Which is the worst kind of pirate). They've long since gone legit but if they hadn't done that in the first place I doubt they would have gotten to where they are today.
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Looks like all the anti-pirate women are in the back by the food- they're probably just out there from the kitchen filling up the trays. I guess that means we girls don't really need to worry our pretty little heads about the message. Good to know, good to know.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
As you can see the blue line represent anime torrenting, if piracy was that bad like they claim then why is anime torrenting down for the last few years?? Does that make any sense??

I guess the downloaders went insane over the long waiting times.
MidoriUma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
sunflower wrote:
Looks like all the anti-pirate women are in the back by the food- they're probably just out there from the kitchen filling up the trays. I guess that means we girls don't really need to worry our pretty little heads about the message. Good to know, good to know.

That's kind of sexist...
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to the majority.
kevinx59

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:05 am Reply with quote
I don't care about any of those characters, so looks like I don't have to listen. Laughing
Im kidding, I buy series I like if the price is good. Good luck I guess? Seems like an impossible battle.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:37 am Reply with quote
revolutionotaku wrote:
mdo7 wrote:
As you can see the blue line represent anime torrenting, if piracy was that bad like they claim then why is anime torrenting down for the last few years?? Does that make any sense??

I guess the downloaders went insane over the long waiting times.

Torrenting isn't the only means of downloading anime. So it cannot be used as a means of measurement for piracy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3