• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Lie in April (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 2

Was that bit with the friend saying that spoiler[it is natural to like someone who likes someone else pretty much a hint that the one he actually likes is the childhood friend who is crushing on the MC]?

Or... more likely... that the childhood friend is crushing on the main character. Kosei still hasn't figured that much out.

The last thing I want from this series is for Watari who has no problem saying his feelings to every girl whom he looks at loving the girl pining for his friend and he feels he can't say anything because... it would start something? In either direction?

And the series starts off because Tsubaki was trying to pair off Kaori with Watari so she could get a date with Kosei, purely as "Friend A and Friend B". spoiler[Smooth and it would have worked too if she actually said something].

I'm leaning more on Tsubaki winning over Kaori in the end. Especially with Kaori's spoiler["Well, you'll do in his place" bit] at the end of episode 2. Sure, she obvious knew about Kosei from her experience running the "classical" circuit and...

Wait, wait, wait. Is she really spoiler[stepping on Tsubaki's feelings in order to get closer to Kosei?] The first episode introduced her impulsive nature... and that has nothing to do with having your best friend trying to hook you up with the school's player. And, honestly, why would that even be necessary?

Like her performance in episode 2, it seemed spontaneous but it was 100% calculated. She better have a spoiler[second face] because things look a little convoluted.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:52 am Reply with quote
i only watch this one because of Goose house sing the opening.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:09 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
You can see the melodica in Nodame Cantabile too. Not in the first episode, but it has been used somewhere in the first season.

Nodame plays the melodica wearing her mongoose costume during the performance of Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue. It's about two-thirds of the way into the series if I recall correctly.

Despite my love for Nodame Cantabile, I don't really see many parallels here other than both shows concern classical music. I'm probably too old for a sappy romance show about middle schoolers. I'll give episode two a try at some point, I guess, but so far I cannot share the enthusiasm for this show I've seen here and on other sites.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:10 am Reply with quote
So Kousei lives alone?

I really like this anime so far but I am getting a bit tired of the anime predilection with dead and absent parents.

Although with that mother he had he might be better off.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the first two episodes and absolutely loved them! Was more reminded of HachiKuro and Sangatsu no Lion than musical series like Nodame though. The character designs are so Umino-esque and the vibrant watercolors have that HachiKuro feel to them.

Hanae Natsuki sure has been busy lately. Amamiya Sora too.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3:
Yet another great episode! Loved the comedy coming from spoiler[Kaori with her attempt to get Arima to become her accompanist. When a girl tries that hard, you'd have to accept eventually.]

There's no doubt that spoiler[Arima has some issues with his past with small glimpses of flashbacks throughout this series already. Hopefully, we'll learn more about it soon. On the music side, I thought it was classic with the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Such a simple piece of music yet Arima was able to play that beautifully.]

I'm hoping the upcoming performance goes well for Arima and Kaori too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

So Kaori's "don't really care" attitude in the prelims didn't make its way into the first round? So, if she gets a "star" in the classical circle, a ringer, someone who's been out of commission for awhile...

She's vote baiting again, only this time against the type of snob she decried in the prelim. The amount of manipulation behind Kaori makes it really hard to like her, such as this episode's turn at stalking and harassment. "It's for his own good." And his name will be on the award?

At least episode three gives a possible reason for her actions{spoiler[University hospital after visitor hours are over?]}

I just can't see the light hearted "comedy" for some reason. Maybe I've gone deaf to it?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:06 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
On the music side, I thought it was classic with the "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". Such a simple piece of music yet Arima was able to play that beautifully.

Removed spoiler tags. That wasn't a spoiler.

Amazing how you can turn Twinkle Twinkle into a master performance with just one hand. Sort of reminds me of Tim Hulce playing Mozart but much less obnoxious.

Kaori: Don't mess with her. A whim of steel.

What I don't like: last minute rushes to arrive at the stage of a major performance out of breath. Every anime that has performances in it seems to be completely unable to refrain from indulging in this.

In spite of that if they keep episodes up like this we have the potential best anime of the season.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

She knows everything about him because he was a celebrity. Except that spoiler[his mother died around the same time he quit playing and perhaps she is being a little insensitive by pushing him so hard]. Although maybe we will find out that she does know and there is connection there since spoiler[she was going to a hospital].

Sure there is comedy there, but I can't quite see it through the drama that the characters are not exactly being fair over. Sure it will spoiler[probably be a good thing to get him to play, but it is not fair to force him like that].
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Removed spoiler tags. That wasn't a spoiler.

Let me try to get this right. You could tell from episode 3's PV that they would play that song from the piano? Yeah, not a big spoiler but I've been told on ANN here before to cover relevant details in spoiler tag unless I'm mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Right now I can't stand Kaori, she just gets on my nerves for some reason. I feel like I can't trust a thing she says or does. In this episode spoiler[ Being her normal pushy self I can't trust that those weren't crocodile tears she was putting out.] She just doesn't seem genuine.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:12 am Reply with quote
Kaori is sick? I hope this anime is not about the guy can't over his mother's dead over and over again. It will probably make me hate this anime if that's case. I hope he can get over it after the next ep.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 3

She knows everything about him because he was a celebrity. Except that spoiler[his mother died around the same time he quit playing and perhaps she is being a little insensitive by pushing him so hard]. Although maybe we will find out that she does know and there is connection there since spoiler[she was going to a hospital].

No, I wouldn't say pushing him into the direction she wants was being insensitive but spoiler[using Tsubaki's help to do so after feeling out their childhood relationship] certainly was, to both of her friends at that {I want to see how Tsubaki and Kaori first meet and became friends because Tsubaki's interest in music seems to stop at Kosei and Kaori's interest in people seems exclusive to children}.

I can understand Tsubaki's feelings, she wants to help Kosei but has no idea what to do, but I also don't accept her "he's like a brother to me" explanation because if that was the limit of her feelings then she'd be able to "hurt him to help him".

Or she'd honestly try to hook him up with someone, help him with his grief, guilt and whatever else may be there.

It'd be funny if this show turns out to be superficial as it looks but it's the oddball who's driving the plot and getting the rest of the cast to dance to her music. It doesn't help that most of her "antics" in episode three are more likely to appear in horror films than "isn't she kooky?" romantic comedies.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

I think at some point, the show will do a spoiler[flashback episode considering there's obviously something going on with Kousei and his mother. Anyways, great episode again. I loved the comedy, performance, and emotions running high on stage.]

I'm not sure when the romance factor will kick in yet but the show still retains its cuteness here and there in particular with Kaori.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 4:

I think at some point, the show will do a spoiler[flashback episode considering there's obviously something going on with Kousei and his mother. Anyways, great episode again. I loved the comedy, performance, and emotions running high on stage.]

I don't see how it could have been made more clear at this point that Kousei's spoiler[problem is his mother. Did you miss the ghost in the audience? Did you miss the flashback where he defending against the crown in his own mind the bruises his mother gave him?] Exactly what more do you need?
Quote:
I'm not sure when the romance factor will kick in yet but the show still retains its cuteness here and there in particular with Kaori.

Also there I think it has already. Tsubaki clearly realized near the end of that performance that the two connected and she has lost any chance with Kousei. Ryota is too dense to notice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 12