• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Psycho-Pass (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:24 am Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 3

It just seems to be getting better. To be honest I did not quite recognise that Togane was new to this season and was not Ginoza. Togane's strong approval of Akane is something kind of odd.

Mika is really pushing it, we can't exactly blame her, but we know that she has no right to question her. She does not realise that Akane is one of the only people that could find out everything and still go on.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:18 am Reply with quote
Pretty good episode, it's probably because this season is half the length of the first, but the pacing is much faster. I'm very interested in how the writers are going to approach Kamui, especially in how they distinguish him from Makishima, although I'm little disappointed that Kamui spoiler[wasn't an Inspector. It would've been interesting to have the villian be an inspector gone rogue.]

Yttrbio wrote:
By the same token, if you were to explore the idea of keeping order by subduing not just criminals, but those with the propensity to commit crimes, you would need to have a system that can actually tell who has the propensity to commit crimes. But the driving forces for both seasons have been people completely outside the reach of that system, which means the show isn't really about the internal conflict of such a system, but an external conflict between that system and outsiders.

Which is fine, I suppose, but it makes the ideological exploration much less interesting.

To go with what HaruhiToy said, the system works, it's just not perfect. Sybil can makes judgements on all potential criminals, it's just those judgements, like with Makishima, can be wrong. Also, the show being more about an external conflict doesn't necessarily make it less interesting. The main characters in Psycho Pass are all cops, so naturally their mindset is geared more toward the practical results of the system. After all, Akane spoiler[didn't try to take down Sybil at the end of the first season because nobody knows what a "better" replacement would be. She chose to maintain status quo to prevent chaos]. Of course, the internal conflict is interesting. It'd be fun to have the professor Saiga and chief Kasei have a philosophical debate over morality, but since this is primarily a police/detective thriller the focus is going to be more grounded. But it doesn't automatically make the show less interesting, at least for me.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:59 am Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Because saying "it doesn't work" sidesteps the moral question. To take an example from politics, if you were discussing the death penalty, you should probably be thinking about the morality of a government executing its murderers. But the legitimate policy complaint ("innocents can be executed") makes that moral question irrelevant, or at least, less relevant, because it's no longer just murderers being executed.

By the same token, if you were to explore the idea of keeping order by subduing not just criminals, but those with the propensity to commit crimes, you would need to have a system that can actually tell who has the propensity to commit crimes. But the driving forces for both seasons have been people completely outside the reach of that system, which means the show isn't really about the internal conflict of such a system, but an external conflict between that system and outsiders.

Which is fine, I suppose, but it makes the ideological exploration much less interesting.

Using your real life example, there are plenty of people, possibly even a majority, who are perfectly fine with the death penalty even after you show them than hundreds of innocent people are executed and how that the death penalty has no measurable deterrent effect. The only sense that the death penalty objectively "works" is that those executed cannot commit any new crimes and some people draw a sense of vengeance from it.

If you are taking the position that any system that executes innocent people is a priori immoral and so should be abolished I would agree with you. No need to explore further.

But the real life and the fictional story are more complicated than that. For "reasons" the death penalty and the Sybil system are not going away. So that stands your position on its head. Morally, what is Akane supposed to do? If Sybil was truly perfect you could argue that she need not do anything. So as a result there is a greater problem in ethics than there would have been had the system been perfect.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Yttrbio about the fact that the situation they're in seems to distract from the moral questions it wants to be asking in basically all the ways he was talking about, this subject is some of what I was talking about earlier.

As for Sybil being perfect or "logical but imperfect", I think it's a little more problematic than that. It's not like predicting a criminal is a bunch of math that turns out to be a dice roll that rolls wrong some arbitrarily small percentage of the time, small enough to make the expected value of this kind of justice favorable. There's something fundamental about the way it calculates the crime coefficient that misses certain kinds of people consistently, then puts them in situations where they can never prove themselves or be redeemed. The system confirms itself (the people never became fit to get out so it concludes they were fit to be there in the first place) and life goes on with injustice ruling the streets. The funny thing is you could keep the screwed up therapy as long a Sybil were just a little smarter about things. At the end of the day it's a really poor dictator.

On another note, we finally got our spoiler[conversation with Sybil. Either there was a loty of subtext I didn't catch (we'll see on that later) or Sybil is just plain blind and dumb. Like I said earlier, Sybil being interested in a case like this is very consistent with its motives in the last season. Plus, even if they can't detect once guy they definitely have enough info in physical cameras to peice together the existence of someone off the record. Something so "logical" blindly ignoring possibilities always irks me a little because it makes people think logic is closed minded and rules out the intuitively irrational as opposed to being open minding and ruling out inconsistent possibilities.]

Things are heating up, so I'll be happy to see what happens when more cards on the table next week.

Edit: @HarihiToy. If a system isn't perfect, you change it. I think it's more interesting to explore ethics in the affirmative. Make something we're more likely to believe is right and make it as strong as possible, then really think about how it could be even better, even more foolproof and consistent. This kind of stuff is hard to do, and not because perfection isn't inherently bad, but very complicated and situational with the needs of the society
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
As for Sybil being perfect or "logical but imperfect", I think it's a little more problematic than that. .

Keep in mind that Sybil spoiler[isn't really a computer. Remeber at the end of the 1st season we find out that it's acutally a bunch of brains linked together.]For that reason, I don't know if you could call Sybil logical in the first place, at least if you're thinking logical in a computer sense.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
There's something fundamental about the way it calculates the crime coefficient that misses certain kinds of people consistently, then puts them in situations where they can never prove themselves or be redeemed.
... At the end of the day it's a really poor dictator.

My impression of how Sybil works is spoiler[ that all the brains basically deliberate and make a consensus on the crime coefficent of a person. In Makishima's case Sybil purposely kept his rating low because their ultimate goal was incorporate him in the system.]You're right that the show doesn't really explore the redemption aspect that much. But we do know that some "criminals" are offered the chance to become enforcers.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
On another note, we finally got our spoiler[conversation with Sybil. Either there was a loty of subtext I didn't catch (we'll see on that later) or Sybil is just plain blind and dumb. Like I said earlier, Sybil being interested in a case like this is very consistent with its motives in the last season. Plus, even if they can't detect once guy they definitely have enough info in physical cameras to peice together the existence of someone off the record. Something so "logical" blindly ignoring possibilities always irks me a little because it makes people think logic is closed minded and rules out the intuitively irrational as opposed to being open minding and ruling out inconsistent possibilities.]

In a funny way, you argue that Sybil is being consistent, if not logical. After all Sybil spoiler[wanted to recruit Makishima because he was an outlier so Sybil overlooked his crimes. So Sybil should also want to recruit another outlier like Kamui, possibly by overlooking his crimes as well]. Although it's still to early to tell.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
Edit: @HarihiToy. If a system isn't perfect, you change it. I think it's more interesting to explore ethics in the affirmative. Make something we're more likely to believe is right and make it as strong as possible, then really think about how it could be even better, even more foolproof and consistent.

I guess this is your main issue with show. Again, Akane spoiler[ didn't try to take down Sybil at the end of the 1st season because she has no idea what a "better" system would be. She obviously thinks the system is imperfect, but she also has no idea how to change it.] It's still early in the show, so we'll have to see how and if the writers address this.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:19 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Yeah it's a bunch of brains but while there is a lot we don't understand about the brain, the implication is clearly that they're networked in some kind of way. Sometimes it's like humans are having a conversation, and the individual constituents are separated, but sometimes one person or some nonseparable combination of personalities are allowed to share the processing power and collective knowledge of the neural network. I think it's also clear that crime coefficient isn't entirely subjective. After all, the whole point of the system was to get rid of subjective judgment in the first place. In the same way that we have subconscious thoughts, I think crime coefficient can be considered a background calculation that it passively runs considering a lot of physical data they can read off people with the cymatic scans.

In Makishima's case I think the implication was actually the other way around. Because Makishima evades their criminal detection but is clearly someone unfit for society, he is enough of an anomaly to be fit to be a part of Sybil. They don't seek out wackos and them absolve them of their crimes, they seek out the outliers in their system and judge them worthy for some reason. It's also pretty clear from a lot of the first season dialogue that Sybil believes its judgements are objective and is very resistant to changing them. This whole premise is pretty weak in my opinion, because a collection of criminals doesn't seem really stable as a dictator or as an arbiter of justice.

You see my point in the third paragraph, then. Sybil should be interested in Kamui because he is an anomaly. I still think there's a possibility that the whole conversation was subtext, like "Akane, back off" "I kind of need to investigate this" "Well know I've got my fingers in it anyway" but it's too early for me to be definitive.]

Whenever I say logic in quotes it usually refers to how this kind of drama usually treats intelligent or rational, but flawed characters, or AI gone wrong. "Bleep bloop, the logic told me to do this thing which is viscerally unsettling, but you can't argue with it because it's logic." "No, poor AI, you don't understand! The human condition says to ignore logic and be fuzzy and respond to your emotions without thinking! If it doesn't seem right then it's wrong!" This kind of interaction mistakes logic for poor logic, and often misses the best solutions that use logic to get you exactly what makes you happy. Anyway, that's how I think the show is treating Sybil and that doesn't have anything to do with spoiler[the extent to which it can be considered a machine]

I wouldn't say I have a main issue with the show really. Hell, despite its problems I did like the first season. It's because it has potential that I'm being so critical of it. I think my ultimate judgement will depend on the detail and interesting qualities that the proposed good future of this setting will eventually have. And any path that Akane takes to develop her ideas of what this could be would really strengthen the show from this point. And we could go a lot of different ways from this point, no matter how I extrapolate, so I'm definitely not passing judgment yet.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Premise: It takes one to know one.

Flip this upside down and see it as "Those outside society are best placed to pass judgements on it because of their distance, however the observers are unable to pass judgement on those who stand outside of society just like themselves because of their unpredictability."

Somewhat like a group of virii knowing how to attack cells in an organism, but being incapable of interacting with another different strand of virus also inhabiting the organism.

Rewatch the episode in season 1 when Akane has a long chat with the Sybill system. The above is simplistic but is essentially the answer to your question as to why someone like Makishima is judged worthy.

Is it logical or acceptable that society runs the way it does? The people who live with the system aren't any wiser, while Akane had a long thought about the system, its nature and potential replacements had she gone public. Make of it what you will.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:31 pm Reply with quote
That's a better and more concise formulation of it than I usually hear. But what about the symmetry problem? If we can't understand the outliers, why can the outliers understand us and our needs? It's not like the criminals have a better skillset than we do because they can be unpredictable. What they do is considered criminal because their intentions and actions are considered to be against the goals of their society. Believing that their hearts will be full of benevolence when considering the common man is absurd because they have different personalities and goals than the people they're governing.

I do think that people should be better at understanding intelligent entities that aren't like themselves in fundamental and very significant ways, but this also doesn't mean the outliers know better because they're outliers. I also think it's not useless at all to try to understand people well outside your comfort zone and how their actions affect people on a larger scale. That's why our government and Sibyl work as well as they do.

Edit: Another possible hypothesis is that because at that end of a normal curve, a lot of the outliers are very different from each other, they would make up a more diverse, and therefore more unbiased and stable overall makeup. This would all be fine except for the fact that because they're all criminals they're probably either desperate and not very smart or interesting, or premeditated criminals with important philosophies that directly go against the grain of what the society wants. And the fact that this is a common denominator makes it a prominent trait in the overall consciousness. I'd be cool with Sybil being populated with a couple serial killers but having it be saturated with criminals doesn't seem wise.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:08 pm Reply with quote
The Sybill system in this series has two functions: the first is doing a reading of every person's mental state and quantifying to to a degree in which law enforcement can be employed based on the reading's results. The second is to guide every member of society to their most optimal career path for a bright and fulfilling future.

For the first reading, the series has already elaborated on why the system employed works 99% of the time. The episode featuring dialogue between Makishima and Kasei on the transport plane gave some explanation.

As to the symmetry problem: there isn't one. To give an example, the United States of America has produced many famous serial killers over the decades and there have been many documentaries investigating the killers and trying to explain what motivations they had. The conclusions would vary, the general public itself would only agree on one thing and that was the killers were abominations. In contrast, the killers had little difficulty identifying which persons in society were potential victims and preying on them (as far as I can tell, none of the famous USA serial killers was caught trying to attack an undercover police officer.) The connection is tenuous, but the brains which make up the system's adjudication system work in a similar way to successful criminals knowing what their marks are like, hence my earlier virus analogy. There are A LOT of brains hooked up in that hive mind and from what was shown in the first season they actually work hard at their jobs and strive towards consensus. The temptation for individual brains to abuse their positions is there, but there are safeguards in place which stop that which help to ensure the system is successful to the point it is when the 1st season started airing.

Is it far-fetched? Of course it is, this is a science fiction anime and not a prediction of the future. Regardless, the "poachers appointed gamekeepers" premise employed by Urobochi Gen and now being developed by Kumagai Jun isn't necessarily outrageous and illogical.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
Ghost_Wheel wrote:
spoiler[Yeah it's a bunch of brains but while there is a lot we don't understand about the brain, the implication is clearly that they're networked in some kind of way.]

Harleyquin wrote:
The temptation for individual brains to abuse their positions is there, but there are safeguards in place which stop that which help to ensure the system is successful to the point it is when the 1st season started airing.
Is it far-fetched? Of course it is, this is a science fiction anime and not a prediction of the future.

I was about to say, being a sci-fi show, at some point you're going to have agree to some suspension of disbelief. Ghost_Wheel, it's possible that in this alternate future, we've understood the brain enough to even access subconscious thoughts, although that's a big assumption. Harleyquin, there hasn't been any explanations of the acutual deliberation process of Sybil, for example, if the opinions of earlier members of the system carry more weight, are not explained. We can question and poke holes in the premise all we want, but I agree, it's still science-fiction so there are certain things we have to accept as part of the narrative.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
spoiler[This whole premise is pretty weak in my opinion, because a collection of criminals doesn't seem really stable as a dictator or as an arbiter of justice..]

I could be remembering this wrong, but I thought geniuses and creative/eccentric types were also incorporated in Sybil? so it's not just criminals. Again, I haven't rewatched the show for awhile, so maybe someone else can clear this up. Harleyquin?

Ghost-Wheel wrote:
spoiler[You see my point in the third paragraph, then. Sybil should be interested in Kamui because he is an anomaly. I still think there's a possibility that the whole conversation was subtext, like "Akane, back off" "I kind of need to investigate this" "Well know I've got my fingers in it anyway" but it's too early for me to be definitive.]

Yeah, I'm wouldn't be surprised at all if spoiler[Sybil tries to "recruit" Kamui into the system just like it tried with Makishima]

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
If we can't understand the outliers, why can the outliers understand us and our needs?

Harleyquin wrote:
Flip this upside down and see it as "Those outside society are best placed to pass judgements on it because of their distance,

Hmmm.....I was under the impression that Sybil is able judge others because of their distance and because they're also smarter than us. At least that's how I interpreted "different" from us.

Harleyquin wrote:
The conclusions would vary, the general public itself would only agree on one thing and that was the killers were abominations.
The connection is tenuous, but the brains which make up the system's adjudication system work in a similar way to successful criminals knowing what their marks are like, hence my earlier virus analogy.

My only issue with this analogy: do you mean serial killers knowing what other killers are like? It's the killers that are the abominations, not the victims, right?

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
I wouldn't say I have a main issue with the show really. Hell, despite its problems I did like the first season. It's because it has potential that I'm being so critical of it. I think my ultimate judgement will depend on the detail and interesting qualities that the proposed good future of this setting will eventually have.

Same here, the show has its problems, but I'm definitely a fan of the series and I'm enjoying this second season as well. You don't really get too many anime like this. And the fact that we're even having this discussion shows that creators of the show made something worth talking about.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:57 am Reply with quote
There are one or two references to how the system deliberates and arrives at decisions, watch the episode when Kasei is alone and she asks the rest of the hive mind for time to rejoin the cluster to examine a collective decision arrived with regards to Tsunemori (this is the scene before she gets led down the rabbit hole by a dominator).

The vast majority of the brains belonged to criminals when they were still active, but the common trait they have is the (1/2000?) chance of their biological makeups making them impossible to accurately read via Hue or Psycho-pass scan. One reason why so many of them become criminals is that the individuals realised what their bodies were capable of and starting abusing their privilege.

If you can't beat one person in strategy, it's certainly easier when you have eight of them in tandem. One analogy is how Kasparov lost to Deeper Blue in that famous Chess Match some time ago, Deeper Blue being the equivalent of several hundred players rolled into one. Because the brains are also personally uninvolved with their targets, they gain the benefit of neutrality and objectivity (supposedly).

The serial killer analogy works when you think of the members of society being marks and the occasional impulsive criminal mixed in amongst them. If the Sybill system meets a Dexter character (apologies for the US TV show reference but I think this helps) then it can't do an accurate reading but is interested nonetheless since this "Dexter" will possess high intelligence, a unique perspective on society and the same biological advantage which the rest of the brains enjoyed when they still had bodies.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
The main thing I was going for with the symmetry thing was to illustrate that it didn't really make sense to assume a pathway of understanding existed one way without going the other way. In reality I think killers are perfectly capable of understanding us in a lot of ways, and we're also capable of understanding criminals. I think the criminals could understand someone like a Dexter or a Maikshima, too. Disregarding the fact that visibly murdering someone should cause the crime coefficient to rise by ANY metric, I don't think anyone is outside the bounds of understanding in that way. Kogami sure seemed to get him, and understand exactly what kind of justice he needed. Akane did too. Hell, even his friend who existed in Sybil could have probably given them a few pointers. But these anecdotal examples only support the larger point, something as vastly intelligent and highly invasive as Sybil is shouldn't really "miss" Makishima, especially if smart ordinary people don't most of the time with enough resources and effort.

A lot of the benefits of having the networked system, having a diverse community with weird blending of personality and processing actually is a really good idea and helps to stabilize the system in a lot of ways. In theory, something like this would not be wrong. To be honest, finding out it was a bunch of brains really doesn't change anything over thinking it was some sufficiently advanced machine or something. We can project down from the effects of the system down to the root and try and investigate the source of the problem, but if our investigation doesn't give us anything, we can't extrapolate back up and then say there isn't or shouldn't be a problem. As I said, I think their recruitment system systematically and gradually poisoned their own well. The fact that they continue to give credence to criminals and recruit them that way is evidence of their poor thinking, the fact that they condemn innocent people to places they know chokes them with bias is more evidence. The fact that they don't have any long term thinking and don't expect that in a couple hundred years they'll be outclassed by other societies and drown in some stupid conflict is a pretty big marker that their goals are just off. And every conversation they have with Akane just confirms these tendencies at a fundamental level, regardless of how it came to be that way.

The fact that the outliers actually became criminals solely because they could is not intuitive to me at all. Imagine if I told you you could have an invisibility cloak, and with it, steal a DVD from the store with no repercussions. Would you do it? I'd like to think a lot of people wouldn't but then again the amount of internet piracy these days is staggering. While I think the difference there is really psychological in that you separate yourself from the crime, I also wouldn't want someone who would be capable of the theft to be part of the force creating laws. What that tells me is that they have no concept of a morality that exists outside of a structure of laws, and the only reason they're not selfishly exploiting the world or killing people is that others will stop them. I'm not naive enough to say these people don't exist in reasonable quantities, but they shouldn't be the ones making the laws. What naturally follows from believing people won't do anything that they aren't explicitly told to do, or believing that people can't handle their own freedom is exactly the kind of totalitarian society that exists here, suppressing the ability of its members to understand or contribute to government or justice, and even worse, suppressing technology so that the society itself can never progress past the lukewarm middleground that they've created for themselves.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
You're missing one point which the whole system in this series is built on: namely that those apparently least suitable to judge people at first glance are ironically the perfect candidates paradoxically. The dominator and hive mind which Akane talks to actually puts forward this point as perfectly logical.

It's not very surprising for some individuals to understand others to a greater degree than the rest of society, that's probably how Kougami and Akane are portrayed with relation to Makishima compared to the hive mind's inability to accurately assess him. It's very easy to fall into the trap of applying what seems to be common sense in the real world into this series; the whole premise of a system governing society is already beyond the pale to many viewers and trying to rationalise it is equivalent to dropping the suspension of disbelief required to enjoy the show.

Are you sure the system has no long-term thinking? Last episode of the first season sees the hive mind specifically spell out its goals and rationale for keeping Akane employed despite her failure to carry out her promise. As twisted as it seemed, it's dismissive to think of the system as obsessed with short-term results since its own survival hinges on long-term public acceptance.

Outliers being very often criminals alludes to another aspect of this society that I'm almost certain anyone growing up Europe or the United States couldn't possibly understand. Kougami talked about this to some degree with Saiga Jouji in one of the later episodes. It's not the fact that citizens won't commit crimes even though they could get away with it scot-free because they are bound by personal conceptions of law and order (the Akane theory of a just society), Makishima and other criminals who were incorporated into the Sybill system could not accept that they were being left out in a societal model which treated individuals as quantifiable variables which everyone accepted but which left individuals like Makishima out in the cold and with no ability to integrate. Kougami's analogy of Makishima as the kid who couldn't get with the "in" crowd was crude, but it provides one method to understand why individuals like Makishima choose to forsake society and embark on the paths they chose. A similar reason befell the original perpetrator of the "living wax" murders who eventually had to incorporate into the system after he was caught.

Moralising over aspects of this series is fun and all, but trying too hard to rationalise it with modern societies viewers live in just cuts into the enjoyment. As always, the simple solution is either watch it and accept things as they are or abandon the show for its lack of realism and outrageous assumptions.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
The vast majority of the brains belonged to criminals when they were still active, but the common trait they have is the (1/2000?) chance of their biological makeups making them impossible to accurately read via Hue or Psycho-pass scan.

Harleyquin wrote:
Because the brains are also personally uninvolved with their targets, they gain the benefit of neutrality and objectivity (supposedly).

Harleyquin wrote:
You're missing one point which the whole system in this series is built on: namely that those apparently least suitable to judge people at first glance are ironically the perfect candidates paradoxically

These are all premises that viewers need to accept as the part of the story. I'm remembering reading a review of the 1st season (maybe on Kotaku?) where the reviewer felt that having a "rare" brain that the system couldn't scan was a very contrived explanation for why Makishima's Hue couldn't be read.

Harleyquin wrote:
One reason why so many of them become criminals is that the individuals realised what their bodies were capable of and starting abusing their privilege.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
As I said, I think their recruitment system systematically and gradually poisoned their own well. The fact that they continue to give credence to criminals and recruit them that way is evidence of their poor thinking,
The fact that the outliers actually became criminals solely because they could is not intuitive to me at all.

I think the show never makes it clear that all of the brains are from criminals. So it's possible there are members of Sybil that are not criminals. Then again, I guess they never say they aren't (criminals, that is).

Harleyquin wrote:
If the Sybill system meets a Dexter character (apologies for the US TV show reference but I think this helps) then it can't do an accurate reading but is interested nonetheless since this "Dexter" will possess high intelligence, a unique perspective on society and the same biological advantage which the rest of the brains enjoyed when they still had bodies.

So this confirms the fact that the outsiders to society are also "superior" to ordinary people.

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
What that tells me is that they have no concept of a morality that exists outside of a structure of laws
What naturally follows from believing people won't do anything that they aren't explicitly told to do, or believing that people can't handle their own freedom is exactly the kind of totalitarian society that exists here,

This actually is the case here. The majority of the population in the city have grown up being told by Sybil how to live their lives, what's right and wrong, what their vocation in life should be etc., so I'd argue it makes sense that everybody only really "understands" morality according to what Sybil tells them. There's that one episode in the second half of the show where spoiler[one of Makishima's followers stabs a woman in a crowd, and all the bystanders just stand there staring at the whole thing]. Granted, you have to accept the fact that nobody realized something was wrong and that nobody bothered to call the cops. But I assuming the writers were trying to show how Sybil's laws and rules have been so ingrained in the population. In fact, I always wondered why spoiler[ it was Kogami instead of Ginoza's dad (forgot name) who decided to go solo.] Ginoza's dad is the oldest and most experienced, he even grew up before Sybil was created, so he should've been the first one to leave on his own.

Harleyquin wrote:
Outliers being very often criminals alludes to another aspect of this society that I'm almost certain anyone growing up Europe or the United States couldn't possibly understand.

I think this is a big assumption to make. I can't speak for Europe, but there are plenty of outsider criminals in the US.

Harleyquin wrote:
As always, the simple solution is either watch it and accept things as they are or abandon the show for its lack of realism and outrageous assumptions.

Yeah, at some point, it's gonna be impossible to watch the show. I think most of the people that dislike Psycho Pass are more concerned with nitpicking every plot hole or questionable premise as opposed to actually following the story.
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
CoreSignal wrote:

Ghost_Wheel wrote:
What that tells me is that they have no concept of a morality that exists outside of a structure of laws
What naturally follows from believing people won't do anything that they aren't explicitly told to do, or believing that people can't handle their own freedom is exactly the kind of totalitarian society that exists here,

This actually is the case here. The majority of the population in the city have grown up being told by Sybil how to live their lives, what's right and wrong, what their vocation in life should be etc., so I'd argue it makes sense that everybody only really "understands" morality according to what Sybil tells them. There's that one episode in the second half of the show where spoiler[one of Makishima's followers stabs a woman in a crowd, and all the bystanders just stand there staring at the whole thing]. Granted, you have to accept the fact that nobody realized something was wrong and that nobody bothered to call the cops. But I assuming the writers were trying to show how Sybil's laws and rules have been so ingrained in the population. In fact, I always wondered why spoiler[ it was Kogami instead of Ginoza's dad (forgot name) who decided to go solo.] Ginoza's dad is the oldest and most experienced, he even grew up before Sybil was created, so he should've been the first one to leave on his own.

I think what Ghostwheel's getting at is that Sybil itself has no concept of a morality that exists outside of a structure of laws, and in their case, the structure of their own laws, and that's really where things go wrong. What kind of system doesn't put the burden of thinking about whether its own ideas or god or not on itself?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 33 of 44