• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Aesthetically Daring Tournament: COMPLETE!!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Galap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:54 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the delays guys; I've had a very difficult week. I'll put up a new round tomorrow Smile
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Would it be possible for someone else to take over the remaining two rounds of the tournament or just downright call the whole thing off? This round's been going for two weeks and we have like... 4 votes? Even if we finish this, could we really say the result would be meaningful at all?
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Galap just gave me the OK to post the next round, so here goes:

Round 4 is now closed! Here are the results

The Tatami Galaxy shouts down Paprika with a 4-0 blowout
Serial Experiments Lain and Gankutsuou tie at 2-2, so they both advance to the semifinals
Mononoke doesn't give Birdy: Decode an inch in another 4-0 sweep this round
Madoka Magica holds its ground against Cat Soup, closing the deal at 3-1

I'll let you all imagine the bracket, because I'm not remaking Galap's document or editing it in paint.

Last edited by Ghost_Wheel on Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Round 5: Semifinals

Let the voting begin!

The Tatami Galaxy 1 2 3
Vs.
Serial Experiments Lain 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Gankutsouou 1

Mononoke 1 2
Vs.
Madoka Magica 1 2
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Sorry if the reasonings are short or a little crappy but I haven't got a lot of time but I don't think I'm going to have another chance to spend some time needed to vote before the finals are up. Right...

1a
Voting for:Serial Experiments Lain
I voted against Gankutsouou last time. I think the strength of the contrasts in SEL win me over, it's aesthetics have always remanded in my mind much stronger than anything else I've seen.

1b
Voting for: Mononoke
I think the constant crazy LSD look out weighs the slightly more memorable stand alone designs of Madoka. Very tough one for me though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:54 pm Reply with quote
The Tatami Galaxy 1 2 3
Vs.
Serial Experiments Lain 1 2 3 4
Vs.
Gankutsouou 1

I think I will stick with Tatami Galaxy for this match-up. It does some amazing things with the animation, but at the same time, it's not innovative for the sake of looking bizarre, it all makes sense with the plot and supports the (almost) never-ending circle of Watashi going through his freshman experience at university over and over again.

Mononoke 1 2
Vs.
Madoka Magica 1 2

Voting for Mononoke.
Mononoke's style is amazing- for me there are not many others out there that would equal the beauty and the complexity of the backgrounds, stylised for traditional Japanese paintings. It plays with perspective, we see events from different and sometimes unusual angles, the movements (the transformation scene for example) are done in such a fluent, almost hypnotising way. I have not warmed up to Madoka in the same way.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Tatami Galaxy I strongly prefer. I haven't seen it, but I want to, because I get the impression that it very effectively uses the specific way things look and move to convey its meaning, which to me is a higher-level thing that many animations never really achieve (though as a general statement I find anime to be better about this than other kinds of animation, which is a big reason why I like it so much.)

Madoka is my choice here. Not really sure how much more I can say about it, but I guess my main reason is kind of like that for Tatami Galaxy: the unconventional and unique aesthetic choices' power resides in their very specific and purely visual level of exact arrangements of the forms and pigments of the image and motion, and that depiction ends up meaning something real. The depictions mean something sure, but the fact that the WAY things look and move means something, that's special. The moment that comes to head now is when spoiler[Kyouko is fighting witch Sayaka, and trying to get her identity back. When she's failing and burning out, images of the platonic essence of her and Sayaka become their red on cyan osculating outlines that then melt and combine like mixing fluids, the epitome of proximity.] Beautiful.

It'd be nice to get another vote or two...
Hikari14

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote
Voting for Serial Experiments Lain and Madoka, because I found the art beautiful in both.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh, goody, I get to break 2 ties.

Tatami Galaxy definitely seems more defined and immersed in its style than either of the others do. It definitely seems to be on a different order of magnitude of richness than either of the other two.

Oh, boy, this next one is a really tough call for me though. These are both really strong candidates and not having seen Mononoke doesn't help. Not sure what kind of sense I could get from the second video but the first really was interesting. Mononoke gets it for me though, on the basis that breathing interesting animation and life into an art style often associated with being very static is daring enough for me that that's inherently cool.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:50 am Reply with quote
I know this thing is sort of desperate for votes, but are Hikari14's votes actually counting? Forget about respecting the format, if I say "I vote for Tatami Galaxy and Mononoke because I think they're both beautiful"*, does that count as a vote? What's been the whole point of people writing walls of text to justify their votes throughout every tournament ever if we're just gonna fly with "I think A is better than B period"

*In the event that such a statement could count as vote, then count mine too, assuming the round is still open (it's hard to tell with all the inconsistencies and stuff)
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:13 pm Reply with quote
I don't know about that, CrowLia, and I confess that I haven't the or knowledge of the shows or the time to really pour myself into the task and make the best justifications I could have either.

Me saying I was breaking two ties had a double meaning. I didn't know what Galap's ruling on that would be, but if it did count, I was breaking the ties and in any case I was making the situation irrelevant because I just happened to have the opinion that would make the outcome the same whether the vote was counted or not. This was entirely coincidental but I suppose I enjoyed appealing to my own sense of irony here.

Honestly, CrowLia, I think you've been rather acidic throughout this whole process. What's the point of writing walls of text if we can fly with less? The pact that people have a place to discuss visual aesthetics at length in a deep, comparative, and interesting way in a place where other people can check the discussion is one of the reasons this tournament exists. If it were about numbers, or trying to put some weight behind declaring a statistically significant winner, then even the normal sample size of one of ANN's larger tournaments doesn't really get big enough to mean much. We may as well take it to polls on larger sites like reddit, I hear Kurisu is now "best girl" over there.

A win is a win, but the shadow of that win is an interesting discussion. I thoroughly enjoyed the world building tournament for that reason. And if people don't really want to talk about this kind of thing, then I guess we found that out the hard way. But it's not like Key or anyone else is itching to start another one of these again anytime soon, so we're not really horning in on anything either. I don't think it really pays to be pessimistic. We can't really force more discussion out of people than they want to commit because that doesn't breed productive arguments, and at the same time, saying what we have is a failure can only serve to discourage people who actually put time into it.

I didn't want to be talking about this because really it only gives more credence to the kind of passive culture that this kind of attitude creates (the same reason I avoided talking about Hikari's vote) and really ultimately serves as a distraction from the tournament itself, but it's gotten to the point where every round you've made some kind of comment like this. I get it, this tournament did not live up to your expectations or to the splendor of past tournaments. I get that you don't like a lot of the ways this is organized, too. But if it's really only a few people voting, everyone only votes on the last couple days anyway, and no other tournament is really presenting itself, I don't see any harm in Galap being lax about deadlines to give people more time to write decent responses. What do we lose out of this? Votes that get to be sniped in at the last minute? With something so low impact I don't think it really matters. With Hikari's vote, it either counts and doesn't have much content, or it doesn't count and doesn't have much content, and at the end of the day, this is also pretty low impact.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Alright, the semifinals are closed!

I'm not completely blind to irony myself Cool : Regardless of which of our less-than-well-explained votes to count or not, be they made unknowingly brief by hikari14 or sarcastically posted by CrowLia, Tatami Galaxy and Mononoke are our finalists! And I think that the fact that they're our winners whether ignoring certain votes or not does say a little bit about the significance of the results.

So here's our bracket, less its final entry.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Round 6: FINALS!!!!

Here we are guys, the last round!

The Tatami Galaxy
1 2 3

Vs.

Mononoke
1 2
CrowLia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:20 am Reply with quote
I reckon I've had a beef with this tournament since the beginning, because after Best World Building ended, many of us were begging for one with a less cerebral or complicated topic that could be easy to digest and participate in (dtm42 has been proposing Most Moe Redux for ages, and other ideas like Best Mascot, Best Transformation Sequence or Biggest Loser have been tossed around for a while).

In the end, many agreed for Most Aesthetically Daring, but when push came to shove, the number of nominations was abysmal (to the point where nominees that had negative votes like Titan made it to the final bracket) and the participation even more so -no round ever made it past 10 votes-.

So we basically have a tournament that very few people care about, and yet it's taken forever for it to get to the finals because the deadlines have become blurrier by each passing round, and yet the amount of votes keeps decreasing.

About the need -or lack thereof- for lengthy arguments, especially at this stage of the tournament, I'll just say that most arguments agains Most Moe Redux or Best Mascot were that they were not suitable for good argumentation, so I think it naturally follows that if we're going for an intelectual topic, the bare minimum would be to sustain your vote with more than "I think X is better than Y".

I'm sorry if I've come off as agressive, I just honestly want this tournament that's held little to no actual discussion or interest in the forum to be over, and maybe, if anyone ever feels like doing another tournament, maybe we could try to do something that's easier, lighter and -god forbid- fun, for a change.

Anyway, since I've already written a wall of text, might as well inaugurate the round

From a "daring" point of view, I honestly think Tatami Galaxy is the better, it's very strange and combines many different aesthetics that are ultimately very well integrated with the story, and that's something I find amazing.

On the other hand, I find Mononoke's aesthetic consistent, daring yet gorgeous. Tatami Galaxy was hard for me to get into due to its bizarre looks, and it was an overall meh-ish show until the ending that made sense of the whole thing in a blow-your-mind kind of way. Tatami Galaxy's daring aesthetics only worked, for me, from a post-viewing perspective. I had no such high entry bar with Mononoke. Its daring visuals lured me in and made me involved with the story and the world it took part in. Yes, it was different, but it didn't seem to clash with the tone of the series. It's just gorgeous to look at, and so full of symbolism and detail that I could watch it a million times

So my vote goes to Mononoke
Ignatz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote
I really like The Tatami Galaxy, but it honestly feels like a retread of the Yuasa's infinitely more creative Mind Game, while there is nothing that looks like Mononoke. So, in the end, my vote goes to Mononoke. It's been a favorite of mine since this tournament started, and I'm really glad it made it so far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10