• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Let's remember that Shirou himself is a newcomer to the Holy Grail war. It wouldn't make much sense if he wasn't oriented to what's happening-so even if the audience is familiar with the material, I'm still glad they went through the trouble of actually characterizing Shirou by explaining things to him. Plus, it wasn't a complete waste in terms of his interactions with Rin and Saber.

Even saying so, this episode was definitely low impact (in terms of emotion) in the overall scheme of things. The introduction of spoiler[Berserker] will definitely get the juices flowing again for everyone, I'm sure.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:59 pm Reply with quote
No surprise the second chapter was animated in 24 minutes, one of the shortest chapters in the original game and very little missed for this adaptation.

Yes there's the usual trope about how just about every viewer knows the story to this series inside-out and doesn't need all those talking scenes. I for one appreciate the way the studio still put in the effort to get the explanation across to newcomers to the series without sacrificing much visual quality. There are a few nice touches as well, such as spoiler[the graveyard background] and most of the memorable lines from this part of the game coming through verbatim.

The trailer animation is also a nice touch, those who've played the game should be able to connect the dots between the statues and what comes next.

My guess is the 2nd half of this series will be done the same way as Fate/Zero was, i.e. no 40-minute back-to-back special the same way the game's prologue was fleshed out. The fun is trying to figure out at which point the 1st half of the season ends and where the 2nd half picks up the pieces.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:08 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
How come this episode is only ~24 minutes?
Thought every episode would be as long as the previous one.

As Stark700 stated, only episodes 0 and 1 were hour-long, as was explicitly stated in the press releases.

So, I've just in the last week played through this section of the VN, and I don't know if it was being spoiled because of the length of the previous episodes, or just because Kotomine talks forever in the VN (I swear, it was one of the few scenes to be made WORSE by installing the voice pack!), but the episode felt short. I know it wasn't actually shorter, but it just felt that way.
Jedi Master

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:11 pm Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:

The funniest part is I can't tell if ufotable was making a nod to that scene or they indeed think this makes watching an infodump better.

Dessa wrote:
because Kotomine talks forever

Unlimited Talk Works

[series spoiler?]
spoiler[
Kirei: You can't transfer your status as master
Me: You liar!
]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[He lies about all sorts of things in that scene, either through or omission or distortion.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Could someone tell me why Shirou still has spoiler[the necklace before they go off for their lecture at the church? Archer already returned it to Rin just before they realized Lancer would go after him again.]

If the answer is a spoiler for episodes beyond 02, never mind. I just figure I got the timeline messed up or missed something.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina, the answer *is* a spoiler. You'll just have to wait for it. Smile
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Ok, thanks!
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering the same, so thanks also.

Just a couple of opinions.

1. I've always disliked Emiya becuase, in all previous anime versions, he was an idiot. One reason the "You die when you're killed" meme became so pervasive is that it summed him up perfectly. I'll give this new version some credit for minimising his idiot reasoning.

2. I wish people would stop judging this in terms of whether it toes the line the visual novel, or brings the story back to the VN from the original TV series or the Bladeworks movie. This version is utilising entirely different production companies and different writers. It is a sequel to Fate / Zero, with the same production companies involved. I'm going to judge it partly on how it resolves the issues left open at the end of that series and mostly on how well they do Rin Tohsaka* (and top marks so far).

Further, the opinion of people I trust is that both the VN and the original series are seriously flawed (I can vouch for the numerous problems in the latter) so I hope this version diverges from them in order to remove those flaws.

*On the subject of Rin Tohsaka, an essential principle in the appeal of zettai ryouiki is that less is more. They're giving us more, which, sadly, is less.

I might also add that, with the emphasis in episodes 0 and 1 moving from Rin to Emiya the series has immediately become less compelling. She is the diamond while he is the chaff of Fate / Stay Night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Another one arguing for this series being a sequel to Fate/Zero...

Back up your assertion with a source. If it's limited to "this and this is a direct reference to so and so which I saw in Fate/Zero", then try harder. There is nothing glaringly obvious shown to date which is limited to Fate/Zero that wasn't covered in the original game, not to mention Fate/Zero novels were written by a different author years after the visual novel was first released. The current producers are perfectly entitled to drop in references to the series they worked on previously, this does not automatically equate this series being a direct sequel of Fate/Zero.

The visual novel has been criticised by many, but without it there would be no adaptations in this medium. At any rate, the first series by Studio Deen was what got me hooked into the Type Moon Universe in the first place so I'm very grateful to it in that respect even if in hindsight the series itself was a less than stellar adaptation.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:39 pm Reply with quote
@ Harleyquin,

I prefaced my assertion by stating it was an opinion. Different from yours, obviously, but, as such, not requiring a source. Or, straight back at ya, where's your source it's not a sequel to Fate / Zero?

My challenge to anyone who criticises this adaptation for not adhering to the visual novel is to convince me why the creative choices made in the source material are better or would improve the anime (an entirely different medium with its own advantages and constraints).

If your enjoyment depends on how well the series mirrors the visual novel while mine depends on how well it concludes the story begun in Fate / Zero then I suspect I am more likely to be satisfied. (Although, if your focus is Emiya while mine is Rin, then the satisfaction pendulum may swing your way, as Emiya is the protagonist after all.)

Anyway, getting myself out of your face for a moment, I became hooked into the franchise by the GSC figure of Sabre Lily, which led me to the Studio Deen series and an appreciation of Rin Tohsaka as a character. We have something in common there, at least.

[EDIT: Removed some "insulting-ness" from the post. You're fine to disagree and debate, but don't be so blatant in trying to call people "stupid" for having different opinions. -TK]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
You mean this animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-27/new-fate-stay-night-tv-anime-is-unlimited-blade-works/.77058? There's also the official page but there is no indication there that this series is a direct sequel to Fate/Zero which you claim.

What makes you so much more sophisticated if you're going to generalise and accuse others of intellectual lazyness? This series bears the name of one of the story arcs in F/SN, even the episode titles are thus far word for word the exact copy of those from the game itself. As far as I'm concerned, this series is going to follow the arc from the game very faithfully, the fun for me is picking out what's new/expanded upon/ignored/amended with any spurious references to Fate/Zero in each episode.

You label people as immature thinkers when all you're going for are the girls and how they dress? Wow, such maturity. I took up the series and the rest of Type Moon's works for the story setting, the fantasy battles and the detail in writing. Not that it really matters a jot to people like you.
jl07045

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:21 am Reply with quote
errinundra wrote:
Or, straight back at ya, where's your source it's not a sequel to Fate / Zero?

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/31/fatestay-night-co-creator-talks-upcoming-anime/

And I WILL compare it to the visual novel. I liked it and I want to see the things that I liked successfully adapted to a different medium. And I want to talk about what was the same, what was changed, whether the changes were good or bad.

UBW alone is not a sequel to F/Z and since there's also going to be a Heaven's Feel movie (-s), ufotable won't even try to resolve everything. As for Shirou, he is and will be the central character of the story of Fate/Stay Night, changing that would mean making a different story. So adjust your expectations accordingly and watch the show before you judge him.

About Tohsaka, I don't care much about her ZR, but I'm quite pissed about what they did with her chin and nose.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:11 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
...I'm quite pissed about what they did with her chin and nose.

Allowing for the different resolutions and the different expressions I don't see the nose and chin being all that dissimilar. It seems to me that what is significant is the distance between her eyes and her mouth. New Rin's mouth is comparatively lower in her jaw. Combined with her less prominent facial bangs the effect is to make her face seem longer.

In terms of personality she is more volatile than previously - more rage, more blushing and more haste. Nevertheless I like this interpretation and look forward to more. My biggest fear is that she will become entirely subordinate to Shirou - the way she pretty much ended up in the Bladeworks movie.

And Shirou? Hey, I am familiar with Fate / Stay Night and I am aware that he is both its protagonist and its major impediment to achieving greatness. It's just a shame he can't be fixed without changing the story beyond recognition. I think this version has improved him by treating him more seriously, thereby making him seem less clownish. Conversely, this version has improved Shinji by making him more clownish.

I have to say I quite like most of the creative choices being made.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:03 am Reply with quote
I don't see why Rin's personality traits are a surprise, ufotable have done their level best to portray her as she was described in the game. Don't like it? Too bad, another point in favour of arguing that the series is faithful to the game which inspired it.

As for Shirou, all of the monologues he's had as well as his point of view and train of thought are again taken almost wholesale from the game. They didn't do much character building in the movie, but most of his key lines were present and the change to his goals and ideals could just about be discerned.

Those who have played the game have their own pleasures watching the show while those only exposed to the animated medium (including Carnival Phantasm) have a different and possibly more limited perspective to assessing the show.

What will surprise me is if ufotable throw a curve ball and introduce elements which were only brought in with the fandisc, but that's very unlikely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 38