• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Sengoku Collection Sub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote
and here is why i am seriously worried about any gundam series that haven't have an english dub already being licensed by right stuff. cause like this series they'll give it the sub only treatment and the odds of sengoku collection getting an english dub is almost slim to none.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote
I don't think RightStuf's yet to dub any series they've licensed since they introduced their Nozomi label, but this definitely isn't the series for breaking that streak. There are definitely good episodes, but it's a case of the whole being less than the sum of its parts and was never that popular.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Did you miss that every episode is a movie parody or homage? That's what actually makes the series so much more than just "durp cute gurls" to making some episodes quite brilliant. Not all of them are evident, but 2001, Bowling for Columbine, Roman Holiday, and the Sting stood out. I think missing this misses a lot of the fun of the series, even if many of the films are obscure Japanese ones.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought something like that might have been going on, but I never could quite put my finger on it. (Probably because some of the movie references are ones that wouldn't be widely-known to Western audiences.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I'm really not sure why I watched past the atrocious episode one of this, but I'm glad I did. Nine times out of ten my snap judgements do pan out, but this just a had a (possibly necessarily) lousy introduction episode and none of the good ones came soon afterwards.

Key's dead on, though: episode 18 is far and away the best episode of the show. Definitely worth a watch even outside of the context of the show as a whole. My other favourites were the kindergarten war one and I guess the haiku one.
jtron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Guide to Sengoku Collection's movie references

Episode 1 “Sweet Little Devil” = Roman Holiday

Episode 2 “Peaceful Empress” = A Star is Born

Episode 3 "Pure Angel" = Wings of Desire

Episode 4 "One-eyed Dragon" = Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion

Episode 5 "Sword Maiden" = Bowling for Columbine

Episode 6 "Knowledge Master" = Back to the Future

Episode 7 "Refined Bard" = Baghdad Cafe

Episode 8 "Regent Girl" = Alice in Wonderland

Episode 9 "Ambitious Princess I" = Volcano High

Episode 10 "Ambitious Princess II" = Volcano High

Episode 11 "Brutal Maiden" = The Sting

Episode 12 "Dancing Blossom" = Knight Rider

Episode 13 "Silver Hornet" = The Day of the Jackal

Episode 14 "Novel Deciders"= Yappari Neko ga Suki

Episode 15 "Annihilate Princess" = Hell House

Episode 16 "Blade Adept" = Sleuth

Episode 17 "Sunshine Ruler" = Ladyhawke

Episode 18 "Four Leaves" = Dancer in the Dark

Episode 19 "Vengeful Fang, IS" = Inugami-ke no Ichizoku

Episode 20 "Vengeful Fang, OS" = Amadeus

Episode 21 "Cavalry Queen" = 2001 A Space Odyssey

Episode 22 "The Splendor" = Zero Focus

Episode 23 "The Dune" = Legend of Galactic Heroes

Episode 24 “Peaceful Empress - EX" = Diva

Episode 25 "Marshal Princess" = Tsurikichi Sanpei

Episode 26 "Sengoku Collection" = Maboroshi no Mizuumi
Nerroth

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if "favourite" is the right word for it, but Four Leaves was definitely the episode which struck the deepest chord for me. Whatever story lies in wait for Otani-san after its end, I hope it is a happier one.

I find it curious to see how shows like this one choose to portray the role of Toyotomi Hideyoshi. Unlike the other two "great unifiers" of Japan (whose operations were solely "domestic" in scope - unless you count Ieyasu's being ōgosho at the time of the Shimazu clan's invasion of Ryukyu in 1609), the real Hideyoshi's legacy is partly defined by his ambitions on the Asian mainland, as manifested in the Imjin Waeran.

I can understand why various series might be reluctant to "go there" in terms of portraying that aspect of Hideyoshi's rule - but either playing the character for laughs, or setting the story involving him (or having someone standing in for him at a much earlier point in his life, as in Oda Nobuna no Yabou) seems to be the most awkward a fit for me.

Not that shows like this are intended to be taken all that seriously, of course, but still.

On a side note, I wonder if any animation studios in South Korea ever consider doing equivalent series based on their own historical figures? Would they ever do a show featuring a female incarnation of King Sejong, or Admiral Yi Sun-Sin? Or would there be too much of a backlash against that kind of thing domestically?
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Bit of a glitch in the condensed version: "Sengoku Collection is a series very easy to dismiss on first impression, but its stories have the capacity to pleasantly surprise even those who are not Japanese history buffs, however." Should probably remove the "however."
jymmy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:39 pm Reply with quote
jtron wrote:
Episode 23 "The Dune" = Legend of Galactic Heroes

I've watched LotGh between now and when Sengoku Collection came out, so I had to give that episode another watch. It was still good. I especially enjoyed the line "If only Shimizu-kun were alive", with the blackboard revealing he's absent with a cold.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:31 pm Reply with quote
I remember this series, I was one of the ones following it the most in the forums. As a whole there is not much to say about story, but there were some great gems spread between episodes where they could be so different from each other, kind of like Space Dandy. Four Leaves was something special. Always felt like it was the show everyone turned a blind eye to.

I think the OP is still my favourite anime OP of all.
TarutoClown93

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:53 am Reply with quote
I actually loved this show a lot. I don't know the reason people weren't so fond of stuff about genderbended versions of historical figures and while I did like the first episode, it doesn't seem like something that they would bode well into it. But as I keep going far, I fell in love with it suddenly.

The character design is indeed unique with a wide range of cute girls being drawn in a peculiar way, at the same time I enjoy seeing all the hidden references into their individual stories, which is one of the many reasons I loved Magica Wars in which, while being a series of shorts, is also a hidden gem that shares a few common traits with this series and one of the few shows I enjoyed the most this year.

Though the level of quality varies in-between episodes with some being stunning and a couple of others being decent at best, definitively one of the greater series back when it was airing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1