• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Rabbit Ears

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnaphappyFMA

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Tweens look for anime because it doesn't insult their intelligence as much as hyper-sanitized American "kids" fare -- characters die, bleed, cry, and go through rough patches. The characters are cool and attractive and inspiring. Their struggles are familiar, and kids who are starting to mature can relate to their struggles.

This, and the paragraphs that follow, are a great sum-up of why anime is special and so appealing to American kids (and those of us who aren't kids anymore). Thanks, Justin. Sometimes it's hard for me to articulate to other American adults why anime appeals so strongly to me and this pretty much says it all.

Also, I was curious about TV Japan, having seen it in hotels when I travel. It seems to carry mainly NHK and news broadcasts. I don't have cable, but if I did I'd certainly look to see if it was available in my area.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:37 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That they're cheaper, I'd bet, is why Stuart Snyder is so bent on keeping all action shows away from Cartoon Network, for instance.

Snyder isn't president of the Network anymore though his departure came 14 years too late.

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Gundam Wing is not mentioned, I'm sure of it, because it did not become famous in the mainstream the way Sailor Moon, Pokémon, or Dragon Ball Z did. It was well-known among people who'd watch DBZ or Sailor Moon because it was on the same block, but it was not parodied or imitated in western media to the extent of the above three shows, nor did its popularity last after it went off the air.

I'm surprised DragonBall Z was able to maintain it's popularity despite going into rerun loop for 2-3 straight years. While I don't know the exactly level of popularity Gundam Wing achieved while on CN it's appearance on the network was what lead to MS08th Team, G Gundam, Gundam 0079, Gundam 0083, SD Gundam, & Char's Counterattack, Gundam Seed, and Gundam Seed Destiny showing up on the network. By comparison all YYH achieved was being one of the first shows on CN to be thrown onto two different blocks and ultimately death slotted.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
SnaphappyFMA wrote:
Also, I was curious about TV Japan, having seen it in hotels when I travel. It seems to carry mainly NHK and news broadcasts. I don't have cable, but if I did I'd certainly look to see if it was available in my area.

Not sure if the hotel channel is TVJapan, but I'd watched it on every hotel stay, and never once seen a single frame of anime.
(Although I would get up in the morning for the kids-educational shows.)

Looking up the channel listings, oh, I see: There's ONE anime episode every day. Guess I must keep missing it. Confused
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Snyder isn't president of the Network anymore though his departure came 14 years too late.

Yeah, I know he's not, but the action shows largely disappeared during his tenure, and the new person (whom I can't remember) isn't bringing them back.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:

Yeah, I know he's not, but the action shows largely disappeared during his tenure, and the new person (whom I can't remember) isn't bringing them back.

Presumably because no one can guarantee any of those shows being the next coming of Transformers......or Ben 10.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
There is another reason why flip-phones are prolific in current anime and that is the anime we get outside of Japan actually isn't that current. Apart from simalcasts by the time an anime is releases in Japan it's at least 4 or 5 years old in outside license, and what were the phones like in Japan back then? :wink:

I presume you meant "by the time an anime is released outside of Japan, it's at least 4 or 5 years old". Which isn't always true. I don't know what the lag time is like in Britain, but I've bought plenty of North American releases of anime on Blu-Ray only about a year after the original airing on Japanese television. Most recently, Mysterious Girlfriend X, aired from April to June 2012 and I got the Sentai Filmworks Blu-Ray release right at the beginning of July 2013. (I don't have a more recent example due to lack of money, but I'm hoping to buy the Watamote anime soon; it's already been out on physical media in North America for a couple of months and that was a summer 2013 TV series in Japan.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

I presume you meant "by the time an anime is released outside of Japan, it's at least 4 or 5 years old". Which isn't always true. I don't know what the lag time is like in Britain, but I've bought plenty of North American releases of anime on Blu-Ray only about a year after the original airing on Japanese television. Most recently, Mysterious Girlfriend X, aired from April to June 2012 and I got the Sentai Filmworks Blu-Ray release right at the beginning of July 2013. (I don't have a more recent example due to lack of money, but I'm hoping to buy the Watamote anime soon; it's already been out on physical media in North America for a couple of months and that was a summer 2013 TV series in Japan.)
It can be and has been 4 or 5 years for it to finally wash up on our beach, but regardless, does those titles you mentioned have the latest phone gadgets, or clamshells? what I'm trying to point out that the ones I see with clamshells the copyrights are usually in the early to mid 2000's. Though Japan is an electronics innovating nation, the indigenous uptake of it sometimes lags behind the rest of the western world and none of the flat slate type phones like iPhones, Galaxy's, Nokia, etc. are made in Japan. Wink

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Watamote uses plenty of cellphones, at least in the manga, and they're mostly smart phones (and I doubt the anime, which I haven't yet seen more than short clips of just to see if Tomoko's voice matches my imagination, would be any different).

I don't remember many cell phone scenes in Mysterious Girlfriend X, but that one's intentionally retro-themed. I don't think it actually takes place in the 1990s, but the high school students don't seemed glued to their phones. Anyhow, the anime only covers the beginning of the manga, which started in 2006, just before the advent of smart phones, but which is set in a floating timeline so one of the final chapters has them seeing a movie which is quite obviously 2013's Gravity even though they should have been out of high school around half a decade ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Watamote uses plenty of cellphones, at least in the manga, and they're mostly smart phones (and I doubt the anime, which I haven't yet seen more than short clips of just to see if Tomoko's voice matches my imagination, would be any different).

The main character of NouKome also seemed to have upgraded to a Samsung Galaxy for his calls from God.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:

The ending sequence of the anime actually revolves around Tomoko's smart phone. It's pretty clever.
GVman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh, interesting. So that's where the rights went.

I would still rather have the books though. I already have volumes 1 and 2. It'd bug me if some of my volumes were print and the rest were digital.

The problem with the Comixology releases of Cyborg 009 is that they only have the first ten volumes; the other 26 were never added. The translation is the same as the Tokyopop volumes. I guess IshiPro wanted to see how well these would see before they translated any more.

Also, the image quality of Cyborg 009 (as well as Skullman) isn't the greatest. I guess that comes from using whatever Tokyopop handed over to IshiPro when they lost the licenses. It's not too bad, but you can't zoom in as much as you can with the Kamen Rider, Kikaider, and Inazuman volumes.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'd pay seriously cash money for a souped-up flip phone like those that are/were so prevalent in Japan. I enjoy my tech, but I'm a firm Luddite when it comes to phones: I utterly loathe touch screens with every fiber of my being. (I have an iPad through work, and seeing the huge mass of finger-oil smears amassed on its screen by the end of the day never ceases to annoy me.) I have a several-year-old Walkman-branded Sony Ericsson bar phone which has always served me faithfully. About all it can do is call, text, and take low-res pictures, but it does all of those very well, and its battery life is still terrific. Most importantly, it has an input method which provides, y'know, actual tactile feedback, and if the screen gets all messed-up, I can rub my shirt sleeve over it and not have to worry.

And all else aside, I can't be the only one who's annoyed by the fact that every single smartphone on the market looks exactly the same. They're all plain rectangles mostly filled up by a touchscreen, with one or two token buttons on the bottom, and some shade of black or gray or white on the other side. And that's it. From several feet away I'd be hard-pressed to tell one model from another. What happened to the early 00s, when we had that crazy array of shapes and colors and form-factors? I still think the Motorola RAZR was one of the coolest-looking pieces of tech ever produced.
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I still think the Motorola RAZR was one of the coolest-looking pieces of tech ever produced.

I remember wanting one of those as a kid...hell, I'd still take one now if I could!
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
I still think the Motorola RAZR was one of the coolest-looking pieces of tech ever produced.

I remember wanting one of those as a kid...hell, I'd still take one now if I could!

You can.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:22 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

The ending sequence of the anime actually revolves around Tomoko's smart phone. It's pretty clever.

Oh, I see it's somewhat similar to the Sailor Moon R "Otome no Policy" ending sequence (walking and then running by changing backdrops), except with a 21st century twist
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5