• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Lupin III's Car Planned For Cars 3 Cameo

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow, thanks John Lasseter. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tudza

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:34 pm Reply with quote
The car pictured from Cagliostro is a Fiat 500 though isn't it?

The Citroen must be the one the girl is driving.

Last edited by tudza on Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
ehh123

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the Cars Franchise but a cameo like that makes me smile.
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
They're making a Cars 3? Ugh. The first one was pretty great but the second one was terrible. I guess they could make it great again since it is Pixar, but still... bleh.

Anyways, it's pretty great that Lupin III is getting a cameo in a Disney film. Of all the anime I expected to get referenced, Lupin wasn't one of them.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:24 pm Reply with quote
BTW, I'm assuming it's Cars 3, and not a spin-off. But I know that series-while it's sort of shrugged off next to other Pixar franchises here-has a big fanbase in Japan. So it would definitely make sense for Lasseter to preview the threequel at the Tokyo Fest.

potato: Those pics make money, so they're not stopping, unless they start bombing as badly as Planes 2.

Quote:
Anyways, it's pretty great that Lupin III is getting a cameo in a Disney film. Of all the anime I expected to get referenced, Lupin wasn't one of them.

You haven't seen The Great Mouse Detective or Shanghai Knights, huh? Wink
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Hey, don't drag Lupin through the crap pile that is Cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Cool. Still not gonna see the movie. Cars is terrible and it pains me to see Pixar, who made Toy Story and The Incredibles, sink so low and still make another sequel.
Baka-Oni78

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:07 am Reply with quote
Actually, tudza is right. Lupin's car is usually a '57 Fiat 500, and Clarisse is driving the 1979 model of the Citroën 2CV, which is the same year Castle of Cagliostro was released.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:54 am Reply with quote
Everybody knows Lupin's real car is the Mercedes SSK.

Miyazaki only had him slumming it with that Fiat because he prefers a more humble master thief.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:05 am Reply with quote
penguin: You can't really make a quick getaway in a Benz, anyway. Cool
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:36 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Everybody knows Lupin's real car is the Mercedes SSK.

Miyazaki only had him slumming it with that Fiat because he prefers a more humble master thief.

But, the Cagliostro clip that Lasseter first saw was probably THAT one, so it'll be the Fiat.
If you hear an American director (like, say, Spielberg) say that Cagliostro turned him on to anime, it was probably the Fiat driving up the cliff.

potatopurplexs3 wrote:
They're making a Cars 3? Ugh. The first one was pretty great but the second one was terrible. I guess they could make it great again since it is Pixar, but still... bleh.]

Actually, Lasseter wasn't happy with Cars 2--If you hated it, don't worry, you're not alone.
Lasseter was more interested in the plot about Lightning racing around the world, just that the attempt to fill out the story with a second plot got a little...distracted.
Most rumors say #3 will be bringing it "back to formula" of iconic US highways, suggesting that this is the official Apology Sequel. (Although whether we get a lot less Mater this time...I dunno, Lasseter seems to like that character a little too much, too.)
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:46 am Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
But, the Cagliostro clip that Lasseter first saw was probably THAT one, so it'll be the Fiat.
If you hear an American director (like, say, Spielberg) say that Cagliostro turned him on to anime, it was probably the Fiat driving up the cliff.

True. But Lupin's SSK was doing bigger stunts than that in Secret of Mamo.

Ah, but nobody can resist the charms of CoC, I suppose. Still a sumptuous eye feast, even today. Even my poor transfer original Manga Entertainment release.

The Fiat was in the Fuma OVA, too, Lupin even driving it through a hot springs resort. And Green vs Red with that unique final showdown.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:17 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

potato: Those pics make money, so they're not stopping, unless they start bombing as badly as Planes 2.

Just advertisement for the merch licenses.
shiranehito

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:50 am Reply with quote
It's great that Lupin's car made it to Hollywood, but Cars 3? Omfg please no. Pixar, please. Only kids like Cars franchise and they really take the money milking up to eleven and beyond. Pixar has been disappointing me in their recent movies since after Toy Story 3, especially ones which serves as sequel/prequel things. I'm still okay with Incredibles 2, but Cars again? Please, no. Unless they're positive they can change my thoughts about Cars.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote
shiranehito wrote:
It's great that Lupin's car made it to Hollywood, but Cars 3? Omfg please no. Pixar, please. Only kids like Cars franchise and they really take the money milking up to eleven and beyond. Pixar has been disappointing me in their recent movies since after Toy Story 3, especially ones which serves as sequel/prequel things. I'm still okay with Incredibles 2, but Cars again? Please, no. Unless they're positive they can change my thoughts about Cars.

As annoying as it can be hearing people that companies may make more sequels, there's still a market for certain audiences. The idea of making money may trump story quality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2