• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Osamu Tezuka's: Hidamari no Ki.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bahamut623

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:00 pm Reply with quote
A few days ago I find out about Hidamari no Ki, based on a Tezuka manga. I'm not sure, but I think it was his last manga, since he made it in the 80s.

Anyway, the anime came out in 2000. I'm interested in it and I find it odd that a Madhouse anime of a Tezuka manga isn't licensed or even fansubbed. The anime was made several years before there was the renewed interest in Tezuka there is now, so that could be part of the reason it's not licensed.

I know we have some big Tezuka fans here...so have any of you guys ever seen it?? Is it good??
Antaeus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Hi,

I am very surprised too that this particular work from Tezuka is not yet available in the US. market. This work has a strong scenario, a good animation, and the potential to reach people who usually are not that interested to japanese animation.

Only the first episode of Hidamari no Ki was fansubbed. I hope that this tezuka interest wave will reach this good work.

A french fan.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:28 am Reply with quote
Both manga and the anime are award-winning projects, but it is seems almost no one is aware, right?

How good is it?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:25 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first three episodes and really wanted to see more. I wasn't as interested in the story about the samurai, but the story about Tezuka's ancestor, the doctor, was fascinating. He and his father take on the Shogunate over whether to vaccinate against smallpox as "Dutch medicine" prescribed. I see there is another episode since Shinkun's original run so I'm going to watch it again. I'm sure I'll be frustrated once more when episode four ends.

Apparently raws are hard to come by. All the volumes are out of stock at cdJapan.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Too bad; I feel that this work -- both manga and anime -- deserve much better exposure than it has now (when almost no one knows about it).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1