• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Pixy Fox to release new social experience for Anime / Manga fans.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miyukichii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Over the past few weeks, Pixy Fox has released some short teaser trailers on its Youtube channel. Yesterday, however, they also shared their official 1st press release.

What does everyone think about it ? Do you think it can compete with Crunchyroll and Myanimelist?

It has similar features to MAL, though is coded differently, like the anime list, for example. How do you guys think it compares to MAL's?

The anime list is also designed differently: Grid vs List mode

Press release

Quote:
Founded in 2014, Pixy Fox will focus on creating something elegant yet simple in a way which connect Anime and Manga fans and allow their interest in the Anime and Manga to be pushed to the next level.

To keep it simple, we wanted to turn a simple idea into something unique. When we think about the word "Simple", we defined it as "Unique" - interpreting it in a way that is complex in term of options yet offering a deep experience, presented in a simple manner to satisfy and enhance members' experience.

How can we connect Anime and Manga fans better? How can they share their interests relative to Anime and Manga? How to enhance the user's experience and allow them to discover new Anime or Manga and actually live in that moment. You ever wondered how your taste for a particular anime genre changed over time? For Instance, my taste over the past years have changed from liking adventure type of anime to horror thrill type of anime. But have you realized what trigger that change over the years. With Pixy Fox you will be able not only to discover new anime based on your preferences and likes/dislikes but also share it with your friends and fans like you.

[EDIT: Tweaked your opener and fixed some grammar to make it flow better. -TK]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:58 pm Reply with quote
So it's just another cataloging site? Personally, I have so many titles logged through My ANN, already, and only ever use MAL to look for fansub group ratings for shows. Other than the somewhat flashier and more fluid user interface, is there anything else you'd say this site as and "advantage" in?
Miyukichii

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
So it's just another cataloging site? Personally, I have so many titles logged through My ANN, already, and only ever use MAL to look for fansub group ratings for shows. Other than the somewhat flashier and more fluid user interface, is there anything else you'd say this site as and "advantage" in?

I don't think it is just another cataloging site but more than that. Well, for my own personal preference. Design wise is very sleek and unique. While MAL has the same features, and I've enjoyed their database, however their profile features and function are limited and kinda outdated in term of design. I think that is where Pixy Fox strike the most for me at the moment, the profile features. I also enjoy the more sleek profile anime list over MAL list. It is easy to use, customize and rate.

I'd love to see what sort of new features will Pixy Fox bring. They said that this project is beta and still not complete.
st_owly

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:28 am Reply with quote
I don't care about social stuff, I just want something which keeps track of where I am in a series. I see no good reason to stop using MAL for this site.
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:07 am Reply with quote
It's certainly flashier, but not loading the entire list at once is a rather questionable decision(those drop-down descriptions should probably be loaded on demand instead). The grid-based anime list is also a case of questionable decisions, as I can't tell what anime the image is from without mousing over the tile. A quick perusal and I also see that it has a less complete database. At the very least, it doesn't seem to include even well-known hentai; it might be a conscious decision not to catalogue ero titles, but it doesn't give me much confidence in the completeness of the rest of it.

All in all, I don't see any particular reason to move my data from MAL.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:37 am Reply with quote
"kinda outdated in term of design"

Good, that makes me want to stick to MAL all the closer. I abhor Web 2.0 blinking lights fluff when I really just need a site that's robust and does what it needs to be useful: basically an interactive Excel spreadsheet that updates and links similar anime.
Miyukichii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
It's certainly flashier, but not loading the entire list at once is a rather questionable decision(those drop-down descriptions should probably be loaded on demand instead). The grid-based anime list is also a case of questionable decisions, as I can't tell what anime the image is from without mousing over the tile. A quick perusal and I also see that it has a less complete database. At the very least, it doesn't seem to include even well-known hentai; it might be a conscious decision not to catalogue ero titles, but it doesn't give me much confidence in the completeness of the rest of it.

All in all, I don't see any particular reason to move my data from MAL.

I think if you went to your profile settings > under privacy and enabled NSFW, you can browse hentai titles. MAL shows hentai titles by default without any specific settings which for me is questionable, especially when MAL has users under 18.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
"kinda outdated in term of design"

Good, that makes me want to stick to MAL all the closer. I abhor Web 2.0 blinking lights fluff when I really just need a site that's robust and does what it needs to be useful: basically an interactive Excel spreadsheet that updates and links similar anime.

While I agree with certain points, however web technology is always moving forward. What is the most popular social sites at the moment, we could say Twitter and Facebook ? Google+ is so so. I think the idea comes down to easy navigation with proper and great features. I have an account on MAL but when it comes to replying to my friends' wall. All i can do is send a reply, i can't like posts, or reply to general posts or see my friends feeds and what they watched or like. This for me, makes the experience more enjoyable.

I've seen many times where members enjoy a particular site, including myself but the lack of updates, makes that site boring because i find nothing new to use or do. For some people that is ok, for many others, they would simply want more features which deepen their user experience.

Whenever new companies and site's ideas gets launched, people always assume wait it is similar to MAL in some ways, i won't leave MAL. I don't think that was the intention, rather which site i would enjoy using more and have fun making friends, what functions and features will they provide me with. I think that is the goal and the more of these sites the better. Competition in general always leads to improvements or force lazy sites to update their sites for better user experience.

I've always enjoyed using CKeditor http://ckeditor.com/demo on Vbulletin, and when typing messages, however MAL doesn't use it for instance, it uses plain bbcode and for that same reason it was exploited by users who shares nasty pic and spam the site. I found Pixy Fox using CKEditor, that in my opinion is very useful for me. I mean it is also fun to use.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:08 am Reply with quote
Miyukichii wrote:
I've seen many times where members enjoy a particular site, including myself but the lack of updates, makes that site boring because i find nothing new to use or do. For some people that is ok, for many others, they would simply want more features which deepen their user experience.

That's great, I use MAL to update my list. It being on the forefront of web technology, aside from security, is something I could not give two shits about. I don't use it for socialize or liking comments or hasttagging, I use to track what I've been watching. The simplicity is why I like the site.
Miyukichii

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:58 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Miyukichii wrote:

That's great, I use MAL to update my list. It being on the forefront of web technology, aside from security, is something I could not give two shits about. I don't use it for socialize or liking comments or hasttagging, I use to track what I've been watching. The simplicity is why I like the site.

Well yes, each person is different. What some people might like others won't. Taste varies.
MacAttack270

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm satisfied with My ANN, so I don't really see a reason to start using this new site. Definitely not a fan of having to mouse over the images to get the titles of stuff I don't immediately recognize.
Miyukichii

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
MacAttack270 wrote:
I'm satisfied with My ANN, so I don't really see a reason to start using this new site. Definitely not a fan of having to mouse over the images to get the titles of stuff I don't immediately recognize.

Did you check the grid vs list mode ? There are two options for the anime directory if you don't like the Grid version.

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1