• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Yuki Yuna is a Hero (TV) (all seasons + movies).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:31 am Reply with quote

Season 1 - Yuki Yuna is a Hero (TV)
Movie Trilogy - Yuki Yuna is a Hero Movie Trilogy
Season 2 (Compilation) - Yuki Yuna is a Hero Season 2 (TV)
Season 3 - Yuki Yuna is a Hero - The Hero Chapter (TV)
Season 4 - Yuki Yuna is a Hero - The Great Mankai Chapter (TV)

Genres: action, drama, fantasy
Themes: friendship, god, magical girl, post-apocalyptic, religion, sacrifice, shoujo-ai, tragedy

Plot Summary: Follow the adventures Yuki Yuna and the "Hero Club" she joins as they aim to do their best for the community they live in, ranging from helping other clubs to fighting off mysterious enemies known as "Vertex", all in time to attend classes and have fun.

S4 - Oct. 1, 2021 (Fridays; HIDIVE)
----------------------------------

Anime Marathon Discussion (Nov. 6th, 2015 - Nov. 15th, 2015) starts here

----------------------------------

Preview:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BJ20efh7MSI

Directed by Seiji Kishi, this anime original series is actually written by Takahiro, the author of Akame ga Kill. There’s an obvious sharp contrast in tone between the two but I think this could be refreshing. The premise has both a supernatural and slice of life tone to it while the studio has been on track with their adaptations these days.

I took a glimpse at the main site page and apparently, the girls are part of a Hero Club. Now that could bring some surprises that I’m hoping to see Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Two episodes today as a back to back special. And tbh, this is definitely not your average SOL show. Well, the 1st half of episode 1 felt a bit so until the spoiler[second half where abnormality took full hold.]

The girls' lives change as they are caught into a world of the unknown. Also, I guess the spoiler[transformation scenes work well. I mean, they are fighting for their lives here. So far from the characters' cast, I like Yuuna the best so I hope we get some decent characterization on her soon.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I had my suspicions about this show once I saw the other character designs on the site and realized the promos were really minimal - as if they were hiding something. Glad to know it was exactly what I was hoping for and more~

So far its pretty standard fare plot wise I guess, but the art is really amazing and I'm excited to see what it'll bring to the genre. I also like the way they've set up the world its in too.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:32 pm Reply with quote
That was fun to watch. Right now Wheels is my favorite character for some reason... spoiler[ I was wondering how they were gonna do her transformation, I think it is kind of cool. It reminds me a lot of Doc. Ock. with guns.]
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Pretty good so far. Always nice to see spoiler[heroes accepting their roles quickly with minimal complaints.]
Dop.L

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:43 am Reply with quote
I really enjoyed that, I liked the whole bait-and-switch of the opening which lulled you into thinking it was just another 'cute girls do cute things' show then BOOM!

The show also gets goodwill for having a character with a disability who isn't just there as a sympathy/motivation/prize object but is a main character who takes an active role. That struck me as a big move forward for anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

You fooled me anime. I thought that this was totally a spoiler[slice of life with cute girls doing cute things, with the theme of heroes]. Instead I find out that this is the new spoiler[dark Magical Girl anime that plays around with the themes of if characters were thrust into the situation like the shows for young girls, of course with a dark twist]. Something I am rather interested in is the girl in a wheelchair, I know that we occasionally get people in wheelchairs, but it feels rarely fleshed out like we saw here with the van, chair lift, and the angst. Thinking of something that tackled the emotions I think is .Hack//.

That one girl looks a lot like spoiler[Mami]?

Episode 2

I do think they missed an opportunity by not playing up spoiler[Togou's angst over not being told the truth and not fighting, more]. It was a great chance to make it feel really psychological and it did not quite hit the right note. Although some of the stuff in the fight was really well done, I was especially fond of the girls looking so small as the enemy attacked looking very large, a great way to show scale.

My thoughts after watching the two episodes is that I really want to find out who is behind the music of this show, it feels like something from Yuki Kajiura, who has worked on Madoka Magica, My HiME, .hack//, and Sword Art Online. Something of this scale of music is usually connected to her so I want to know. Having watched some Shirobako earlier today I actually found myself thinking a lot about the process of making this, perhaps a coincidence that it kind of reminded me of the show within that show.

Honestly I think there is some good work in here, but I think that they are missing chances where they could have been a bit more impactful. I think it is a problem of what exactly they want the tone to be, it keeps feeling like it is dodging to let itself be too dark and thus comes off a little too easygoing when it shouldn't. Still I laughed at a little bit of comedy being thrown into the fight, even if it feels a little out of place.

Also I think Tougo's spoiler[transformed self is gorgeous]. Hmm, unlike the picture for the Encylcopedia, the picture for this thread seems to be from Tougo's point of view, that is a little curious.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Characters look nice & so does the art.
The time stopping thing was kinda cool.
The all girl thing is not my thing.
Story looked interesting until they transformed.
Skipping it.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote
This one looks like a sleeper hit to me. Definitely was not expecting something as ambitious as what I actually saw; it's easily the surprise of the season for me and one of the biggest surprises of the year. And seeing spoiler[Togo also become not only a magical girl but also a very effective one] in episode 2 was very special.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikaru Suzuhara

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:19 am Reply with quote
This is a minor point, but I am so glad the mascot creature characters they summon not only don't speak, but make no annoying sounds whatsoever.

That was one of my main fears when I saw the promotional art.

Episode 3 will be the do or die for most of us. A formulaic monster of the week won't cut it for the rest of the series. It's too early for major drama via character death when you consider there are only 4 characters. Just the girl's in the hero club with no supporting characters whatsoever. I just hope this tells a complete story. Those are so rare.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I really love the visuals in the...magical-whatever-the-heck-place they end up in when they fight. I was a bit worried that spoiler[Togo would magically regain the use of her legs while transformed, so I was glad when she didn't but was still able to be just as effective as the other girls.]

I'm also really liking Fu's weapon. It's not too often that we get a magical girl with a giant sword (actually, off the top of my head, I can't think of any).

The music at times really sounds like some of the stuff Shikata Akiko has done, so I'm wondering if she might actually have some involvement. Well, even if she doesn't, I really like the music.

Definitely looking forward to more of this show!
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Apparently, a smartphone app not only transforms you into a magical girl, but it also enlarges your boobs. Okay, that's new. Laughing

Ahem, sooo... I gave this show a shot, aaand... it's surprisingly good! (Nah, not surprised by the magical girl theme. Already predicted it when I saw that brief scene in one of the PV).

It's colorful, it's cute (love BUNBUN's character design), it does have story, and it has humor too!
Thank God there's no wish-granting stuffs (so far). Otherwise, it'd be mercilessly compared to... y'know, 'that show'.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:18 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Funny, the cow fairy, Gyuki, spoiler[comes out on its own and they can't let the others ones out because it keeps biting them].

To tell the truth I thought the spoiler[new girl], Karin, was likely spoiler[going to die to show that things will get real and to warn against getting cocky]. But then they did the spoiler[tarot reading of Death], that has me thinking that the show knew about that line of thought and turned it around as a joke. With how spoiler[Karin was not in the OP] and how there is a touch of seriousness, I thought it might happen, but was happily surprised how spoiler[she warmed up and has a place in the ED].

I found that the episode was pretty good at using them in a friendship way that I hope it does not pull things out from underneath them. But their tennenets that are not very definitive to leave some thought.
Crusher X303

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:25 am Reply with quote
I am really liking this show so far. If they can keep a good mix of the magical girl fighting and slice of life stuff, then this should remain entertaining for me.

I do hope Karin stays a bit more cheerful from now on. Don't really need a constant debbie downer in the group.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I too thought that Karin spoiler[was going to end up dying], but that didn't happen (though I'm still a little worried it might happen in the future), and I actually ended up really liking her. The spoiler[birthday party] scene was quite touching.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 11