• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Laughing Under the Clouds (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote

Laughing Under the Clouds (TV)

Genres: action, supernatural
Themes: historical

Plot Summary: In the eleventh year of the Meiji era carrying swords was forbidden by the government and those known as samurai were slowly fading away. However, there were plenty who didn't like those changes taking place in Japan and inevitably the crime rates increased. The country's only solution was an inescapable lake prison. Since the prison had no other way to access it except by water, the three boys of the Kumo family were assigned to transport the criminals to their new "home".
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
It was an okay episode. It established the premise with both bits of comedy and action. I have to get used to Tenka's hair a bit though D:

Also, that spoiler[Botan woman might be letting more than she seems to be.] The premise overall has a historical feeling to it which doesn't surprise me. Otherwise, this could be fun a gem of the season if done right. 1 cour confirmed also.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The title in English only is making it hard to find this topic. It would be good if you could put the Japanese name beside it as well.

At first glance, interesting.
That is one weird family... LOL
Still, they look pretty fun though.
There's just something about it that makes me wanna watch it.
Gonna give it a few more episodes before I decide.

spoiler[Looks like they have a past they're hiding.
Younger brothers seem to lack in power & experience.
Thing is... only the oldest bro is worth something.
The other two are pretty much useless & need constant saving.
Story is unfolding slowly, but surely.]

Good episode. Gonna give it another one before I decide.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:24 pm Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
The title in English only is making it hard to find this topic. It would be good if you could put the Japanese name beside it as well

Seconded.

I like the setting, the fact that here's no lack of bishounen and that we seem to be getting to the actual plot now. And while i think i can already guess who this spoiler["vessel of Orochi"] is supposed to be, i'm still looking forward to watching the conflict unfold.

Also, the youngest brother is cute as hell. Smile
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Another good episode...

I feel like this is a rare gem of the season so far as it portrays the characters well and differently from other series I familiarize with. Action overall is good too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:33 pm Reply with quote
So Shirasu says that Botan spoiler[doesn't smell human.] At first I was just curious about what's going on at the prison, but now I'm almost equally curious as to what exactly her story is...

And Tenka looks so different in formal wear with his hair up! Not a bad look for him, though...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one seeing all thespoiler[ death flags triggering] around Tenka? I just have this very dreadful feeling about his fate. I'm also getting a little frustrated with the growing tension between Tenka and Sora, mostly because it could so easily be fixed if Sora talked to Tenka about his insecurities and Tenka stopped trumping his brothers' development. I get that he wants to protect them, but he should realize that by taking all the burden upon his spoiler["nameless incurable desease"-ridden] body he risks himself and if he dies his brothers won't be able to defend themselves because he hasn't really allowed them to become stronger.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:08 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[That prison is a very interesting place.
So the killer Soramaru had nightmares over was in there all along.
Warden is a bit unusual, but kinda nice.
Shame Soramaru's prison adventure ended up so soon.
Well, his big bro wasn't happy about his little misadventure at all.
This one is still balancing on the drop it - keep it wire.
Just can't seem to make up my mind about it..]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote
For a clan that's been wiped out, it seems like you can't swing a cat without hitting one of them. Smile

And Lia, I'll be suprised if that happens this early on, though it might be inevitable by the end.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:03 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Soramaru is getting his wish.
Guess his trip to the prison wasn't in vain.
He is very focused on getting stronger.
The past is still haunting him though.
Big Bro was act too hurt for his own good.
Tenka got arrested in a hurry..
The situation changed drastically.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:26 pm Reply with quote
Well damn, spoiler[Tenka's life sure is going through some tough phases. Hopefully he can get out of this mess soon. I think Sora might be also biting a bit more than he can chew even if he is accepted as an apprentice.]

Then again, it's his decision as he wants to prove himself to his brother, to the world, and himself.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:37 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Seems very unfair that Big Bro is gonna get executed.
Two younger brothers aren't going to give up easily.
It was nice to see even the people wanted him to live.
Story about Orochi finally got told.
Flashbacks to that time were a nice touch.
Damn, didn't think they'd really kill him... a shame.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6:

So they learn more about their [spoiler]ancestors this episode? Okay. The Orochi could be the ultimate antagonist of this series but poor Tenka. Now he is going to be executed for being the new host...spoiler[

Sora earned my respect this episode though for his loyalty and courage to help out his family. That's what I call being a brother. That was a really sad ending though. Is he really dead? Anime cry]

Last edited by Stark700 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:17 pm Reply with quote
We're not up to 7 yet. Wink

Doesn't look good. spoiler[He's been disappeared from the end credits. He was the main reason to keep watching this, since I'm not a fan of either of his bros. If they bring him back it will be interesting to see how they go about it without a Misery-type ass-pull.]
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:57 am Reply with quote
Welp, my bad. I fixed it, thanks.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote
Sad to sayspoiler[ I called it]. I'm with Gina in thatspoiler[ I have little reason to keep watching if Tenka is really dead. I would be glad if they came up with something to keep him alive, but death by hanging seems like a really hard to escape fate.]

An interesting anecdote is that two other shows I found otherwise mediocre spoiler[had this one character that kept me watching, and were thus dropped when that character was killed] (spoiler[Guilty Crown] and spoiler[Hamatora]). More interesting is that both showsspoiler[ brought the dead character back to life], so I wonder if the pattern will repeat itself here.

I'll give it to them that, given the overall mediocrity of the show, this episode executed the drama and emotions quite well. I almost cried three times. I guess the fact that spoiler[family tragedies] hit me kind of hard is a point in their favor in a way.

I'll watch next episode, but tbh, none of the other plot threads seem particularly interesting so far. The one that caught my attention in episode 1 with the Gokumonjo stuff hasn't managed to stay interesting. It became a bit too mundane when spoiler[the evil mastermind just happened to be the same who killed the Kumoh and Fuma's]. I think it could've done for an interesting mistery, but their cards were revealed way too soon, imho.

BTW, am I the only one who's bothered by how they subtitle Chutaro's "Ten-nii" to "Tenny"? It's like the early eps of Haikyuu that subbed Tsukishima "Tsukki" to "Tsookie". Like, why are they trying to englishize (is that a word?) nicknames? It's kind of jarring
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3