• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: International Manga Symposium in Kyoto

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
infoman99

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:15 am Reply with quote
hmmm anime sure has come along since the 70's, but i really don't like the idea of an antikorean manga that's just discrimination and if they approve of that i'm sorry i'll just stop buying manga all together distributeed by viz and tokoyopop.. Sad Sad
testorschoice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:45 am Reply with quote
Whoa, one of the symposium's panels is discussing the "ignorance" (the exact word used in the symposium description) that this Kan Kan Ryuu manga covers, not approving of it. This is a wide-ranging symposium that covers both the positive AND negative aspects of manga in the global community.

http://www.kyoto-seika.ac.jp/hyogen/newspage/index.html

Many of Viz contributor Matt Thorn's school's student body are Koreans hoping to break into the industry (and presumably will be attending the symposium), and Tokyopop relies on manhwa now more than ever. Heck, there are both Korean and Hong Kong artists speaking at the forum (as well as French, Spanish, Italian, and American speakers) as well.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUKT14000620070608
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:19 pm Reply with quote
So...

Foreign made manga? Not manga? Nouvelle manga? OEL? What?

Thanks for making everything so much harder, Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1